[Match Discussion] Toulouse (a)

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Re: [Match Discussion] Toulouse (a)

Post by Mucky1978 » 09 Jun 2022, 11:48

Olpherts :)

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 09 Jun 2022, 12:01

Mucky1978 wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 19:04 I’d rather give GERRI Hall a game then Matagi or Griffin
Edited for accuracy

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Jun 2022, 12:13

Mucky1978 wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 11:48Olpherts :)
Surely it shouldn't be impossible for one of Eden or JQ to switch wings so we can have them two playing as are wingers
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Let’s talk sense
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Let’s talk sense » 09 Jun 2022, 23:41

Fumper27 wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 21:02 You are correct. However, young players shouldn’t be chucked in at the deep end. I admire your continued advocacy for our younger players. However, can you name one who you asked to get a chance in the first team whose left and gone on to better things?
Hello Fumper hope you are well me old! Gone on to better things! What do you mean? Ex services aren’t you? We’re you the finished product from day one? The young guys require time, exposure, nurturing etc. Better things! Like part time rugby earning loads of combined dosh as a tradesman oh I get you now.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Jun 2022, 06:35

Let’s talk sense wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 23:41
Fumper27 wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 21:02 You are correct. However, young players shouldn’t be chucked in at the deep end. I admire your continued advocacy for our younger players. However, can you name one who you asked to get a chance in the first team whose left and gone on to better things?
Hello Fumper hope you are well me old! Gone on to better things! What do you mean? Ex services aren’t you? We’re you the finished product from day one? The young guys require time, exposure, nurturing etc. Better things! Like part time rugby earning loads of combined dosh as a tradesman oh I get you now.
I’m all good LTS, thanks for asking.
I mean purely from a rugby perspective. Gateman is forever banging on about playing this player or that player in the first team, just because they’re smashing it in the academy. However, they all eventually leave and I wondered out of those who left, how many had progressed their game beyond the level that we operate at? Most end up in the lower leagues (Carr, Turner, Fleming, etc). Some end up back in the amateur game (Siddons, Pick, Canterbury, etc). Yet none ever end up at Saints or Wigan picking up the trophies or individual accolades year after year.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Jun 2022, 07:29

How is young Hodgson who went to Newcastle Knights getting on as anybody heard
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Jun 2022, 07:32

I don’t think he has played in the NRL yet. However, I think he has a bad injury back in February and is due back mid season.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 10 Jun 2022, 08:57

Fumper27 wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 06:35
I mean purely from a rugby perspective. Gateman is forever banging on about playing this player or that player in the first team, just because they’re smashing it in the academy. However, they all eventually leave and I wondered out of those who left, how many had progressed their game beyond the level that we operate at? Most end up in the lower leagues (Carr, Turner, Fleming, etc). Some end up back in the amateur game (Siddons, Pick, Canterbury, etc). Yet none ever end up at Saints or Wigan picking up the trophies or individual accolades year after year.
Regarding your last sentence, Michael Shenton did ok.😊👍

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Jun 2022, 09:03

JIN JER wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 08:57
Regarding your last sentence, Michael Shenton did ok.😊👍
Depends how far you want to go back I suppose. In the recent past, not one player who supporters have asked to be in the first team has progressed their game. Bailey Hodgson has the potential I guess but time will tell.

Michael Shenton was also a full England international when he left us, so didn’t leave our academy “for better things”.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Jun 2022, 09:26

there as been something badly wrong with our system of bringing players through after Oliver Holmes Trueman was the next to hold a first team spot down, the club have very high hopes of Cain Robb Brad Day and QQ let us hope the system as been mended so once again we can be proud to say that lad is home grown

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Jun 2022, 10:13

Brad Day left the club in 2014….

I hope those youngsters (Robb, Hall, O Neill, QQ) make their mark on our first team. We tend to have our most successful periods when we have a core of local lads in the team.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Jun 2022, 10:25

my mistake it should have been Hall nice to see we are singing from the same hymn sheet Mate

Let’s talk sense
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Let’s talk sense » 10 Jun 2022, 11:02

I agree with your young players should not be chucked in comment. Compared to when DP was here LR and his team appear to be getting players out on loan more. Last Sunday I watched Cain Robb have a great game at hooker for Whitehaven against Dewsbury. The levels are different of course but nonetheless it is invaluable experience for him to integrate with and play against men in a very competitive environment. I am not a fan of reserve league rugby. IMO it lacks intensity and atmosphere. To have a chance of progressing at the highest level young players need gradually exposing to testing situations. Take young Sam Hall. LR was spot on when he said Sam’s next big test is handling the physicality of the senior game. I understand he is about to go out somewhere for a month. QQ obviously speed and evasion is his early career strength. However he also has loads to learn such as defensively, positionally and physically. LR drops him in and then takes him out. I like it as it allows QQ to assess and analyse his performance. Young players will come good if dealt with correctly.

One worrying trend for me at the club is this. We appear to be in the habit of signing young Leeds rejects Sutcliffe, Broadbent and Mellor. Leeds valued them lower than what the players did so they come to Cas for more money. These type of players potentially block internal pathways for any aspiring youth players at the club. We have a poor recent record regarding our youth department. I hope the policy is not just to pretend with our youth system and then pick off other clubs products when they become available.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Jun 2022, 12:00

Squad for Sunday:

https://castlefordtigers.com/article.php?id=8110

Only named 20, GOB dropping out due to injury from the Wigan game.

Surely there’s an academy player we could’ve taken for some experience around the first team???

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 10 Jun 2022, 12:18

Can only assume Cain Robb and Sam Hall are injured or out on loan not go be included in the squad if not naming 21.

From that I think I'd actually try.

Hampshire
Eden (R)
Fariamo
Fonua
Qare Qare
Trueman
Richardson
Smith
Mcshane
Massey
Edward's
Lawler
Westerman

Milner
Watts
Martin
Griffin

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Jun 2022, 12:51

Cain Rob and Sam Hall both out on loan Workington and London

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 10 Jun 2022, 16:21

I think Cain Robb is at Whitehaven.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 10 Jun 2022, 17:51

Pretty sure only 20 travel to France so no need to name more for the sake of it.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 10 Jun 2022, 19:16

What tv channel is the game on if any?

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 10 Jun 2022, 19:16

What tv channel is the game on if any?