[Match Discussion] Salford (A) 20/05/2022

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: [Match Discussion] Salford (A) 20/05/2022

Post by Fumper27 » 21 May 2022, 11:11

I said to lads I was watching game with, take off Olpherts put Fonua on wing and Blair in centre.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 21 May 2022, 11:16

derkster wrote: 21 May 2022, 11:08 Cant understand if he wanted to bring Blair on why he didn't take Olpherts off and put Mamo on the wing. It was clear on a few of the tries that Olpherts was way out of position and probably at fault for them. To Blame Mamo which it looked like he was doing was ridiculous. Has Olpherts got some dodgy photos of Radford or something..
Have to agree. Defensively Olpherts is one of the worst wingers i’ve seen down the lane. He’s also got hands like feet. We need better.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 11:19

gateman wrote: 21 May 2022, 09:49 great to see the Salford players interactive with the young supporters after the game our club could learn something from that
They need to be, their level of support is appalling and that’s the view of one of my best mates who is a Salford fan. He can’t believe the job their coach and chairman are doing with a dwindling group of die hard fans. Not a lot of belief in the story about the white knight who is coming in to save them either.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 11:32

What is frustrating is that most of the criticism thrown at us last night could equally be thrown at the bottom 9 clubs in the league. If Huddersfield had lost last night to the bottom club ( which they nearly did) and we had won we would have been one point off fourth today which would clearly have been ridiculous. I don’t subscribe to this lucky thing about our wins. A win is a win. You can only beat what you’re up against. There’s a lot of inconsistency throughout Superleague. Two weeks ago Salford had lost 6 on the bounce. HullKR are off the boil, so are Warrington etc, etc. We have a lot of work to do, but despite that we are turning Wheldon Road back into a fortress which it hasn’t been since COVID. We deserved to lose last night but small things turn matches. For me that point was QQs bombed try last night. I love the guy. Don’t think Eden would have scored the last one, but it was a massive call by Radford leaving him out .
If we learn from last night and build on the good work shown in performances like last week, there’s no reason why we can’t make the 6, but there’s work to do.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 21 May 2022, 11:40

We've more chance of plaiting fog than qualifying for play of rugby.

As I've always said Radford is not the man. Never has been. Clearly there are coaches out there in Australia who want a gig and are far more technically advanced than Lee.

Our discipline is gut wrenchingly bad and our defence is horrendous. The players he brought in are [REMOVED] defensively
Audacter Et Sincere

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 21 May 2022, 11:46

I thought after beating KR last week after two defeats to them that we were improving unfortunately if there starting HBs had played I think it would be three nil to KR

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 21 May 2022, 11:46

That was a total pitiful performance last night !

Very Flat line in attack and no room to work any moves (where's the coaching gone on this to have the attack line deeper !!), No Creativity from the likes of Trueman or Mcshane (i.e where's the little runarounds Mcshane used to do ? looks totally uninterested these days !!), No umph from the forwards and are bang average (Griffin and Smith in particular) , passing was pedestrian and no zip to get things moving faster in attack along with sauntering speed of the forwards - I could have run and passed faster at my pension age !!!!).

To generalise on the performance .... it was total rubbish and relegation standard....with a further descriptive missing word spelt with a Capital "F" !!

The Sky TV pundits had it correct last night on last Cas wins where we have had other teams caught in fatigue from earlier games or fielding an understrength side which has made us look better than what we really are.... unfortunately to admit to to say !!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 11:53

Well we always get the stuff about relegation . We were getting it about a month before the end of 19 when we made the playoffs
Also the idea that if Hull KR had one different player on the pitch they would have won last week just doesn’t make sense. You play who’s in front of you. Go down that road and all we have to do is quote Watts, Evalds, Feki, McLennan, Richardson etc etc as an excuse. That’s why clubs have squads

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 11:58

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 21 May 2022, 11:32 What is frustrating is that most of the criticism thrown at us last night could equally be thrown at the bottom 9 clubs in the league. If Huddersfield had lost last night to the bottom club ( which they nearly did) and we had won we would have been one point off fourth today which would clearly have been ridiculous. I don’t subscribe to this lucky thing about our wins. A win is a win. You can only beat what you’re up against. There’s a lot of inconsistency throughout Superleague. Two weeks ago Salford had lost 6 on the bounce. HullKR are off the boil, so are Warrington etc, etc. We have a lot of work to do, but despite that we are turning Wheldon Road back into a fortress which it hasn’t been since COVID. We deserved to lose last night but small things turn matches. For me that point was QQs bombed try last night. I love the guy. Don’t think Eden would have scored the last one, but it was a massive call by Radford leaving him out .
If we learn from last night and build on the good work shown in performances like last week, there’s no reason why we can’t make the 6, but there’s work to do.
Sorry, there was another key point. It’s always a tough call, but taking the kick under the posts lost us momentum, demotivated some of the players and incentivised Salford when we were still on top.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 12:01

CasRus wrote: 21 May 2022, 11:46 That was a total pitiful performance last night !

Very Flat line in attack and no room to work any moves (where's the coaching gone on this to have the attack line deeper !!), No Creativity from the likes of Trueman or Mcshane (i.e where's the little runarounds Mcshane used to do ? looks totally uninterested these days !!), No umph from the forwards and are bang average (Griffin and Smith in particular) , passing was pedestrian and no zip to get things moving faster in attack along with sauntering speed of the forwards - I could have run and passed faster at my pension age !!!!).

To generalise on the performance .... it was total rubbish and relegation standard....with a further descriptive missing word spelt with a Capital "F" !!

The Sky TV pundits had it correct last night on last Cas wins where we have had other teams caught in fatigue from earlier games or fielding an understrength side which has made us look better than what we really are.... unfortunately to admit to to say !!
Yes they’re always insightful. Short pitch, Macca not known for his defence, strip the ball more than any other club. You can always rely on their top commentary 🙄

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 12:13

dettoriman wrote: 21 May 2022, 07:20 We’ve too many plodders in the team, And it’s fine to have a few - When you’ve got some fire power around them.

I won’t judge all the players on last night, As it clearly was a pathetic performance. But the week before they played well so it’s harsh to be that fickle.

We need to keep Edwards, Lawler is a decent acquisition, Watts and Westerman are solid. Massey always does his work.

But ultimately we need some fire power in the forwards, Players who will hit the ball at pace and bust holes in the defence.

It’s wrong to us Saints as the example, But almost every player is at virtual full speed gathering the ball and they bust holes, from the wingers to the props. That’s how you take a ball in and would then give Macca and the halves time to play. At the minute we’re been dominated in the ruck and the link plays are very easy to read as a result
Thanks. Really insightful post

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 21 May 2022, 14:07

I've not seen Trueman named mentioned here, and, guess what? I didn't hear him mentioned last last either...
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 May 2022, 14:40

Did Sneyd kick a 40-20 in the second half from where I was stood it look to go nowhere near but ref gave them tap
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 May 2022, 14:45

tigerfeat wrote: 21 May 2022, 14:40 Did Sneyd kick a 40-20 in the second half from where I was stood it look to go nowhere near but ref gave them tap
No Sneyd kicked a 20/40 , first time I have seen it done over here. Great play by him , shows what a top kicking half he is.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 May 2022, 14:49

Sharlotiger wrote: 21 May 2022, 14:45
tigerfeat wrote: 21 May 2022, 14:40 Did Sneyd kick a 40-20 in the second half from where I was stood it look to go nowhere near but ref gave them tap
No Sneyd kicked a 20/40 , first time I have seen it done over here. Great play by him , shows what a top kicking half he is.
I didn't know that you could do that ...Yeah him and Croft were very good for them
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 May 2022, 14:52

What surprises me is that people seem surprised by last nights performance. Our indicsipline does not give us a chance and unfortunately it doesn't improve from week to week.
We have been lucky how we have dropped on sides and but for that luck we would be firmly in a relegation battle.
This side is a bottom 3 team with plenty of players looking disinterested.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 May 2022, 14:54

tigerfeat wrote: 21 May 2022, 14:49
Sharlotiger wrote: 21 May 2022, 14:45
I didn't know that you could do that ...Yeah him and Croft were very good for them
Shows you can find good half backs if you have a look round and pay the going rate, but when we need players all we ever hear is that there are none available.

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 21 May 2022, 14:59

New rule nate 20 40. Was well inside just in 20

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 May 2022, 17:13

;)
Sharlotiger wrote: 21 May 2022, 14:52 What surprises me is that people seem surprised by last nights performance. Our indicsipline does not give us a chance and unfortunately it doesn't improve from week to week.
We have been lucky how we have dropped on sides and but for that luck we would be firmly in a relegation battle.
This side is a bottom 3 team with plenty of players looking disinterested.
We’re certainly a bottom 9 team.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 22 May 2022, 01:56

Radders had them in this morning and didn’t hold back on his assessment of the performance.