Out of favour ?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Out of favour ?

Post by Tigersbarmy » 01 May 2022, 22:23

With Cheyse Blair and Matagi playing for the reserves yesterday, are both these players out of favour? Think we all know Blair will leave once his contract is up. But seems strange not playing Matagi when we’ve gave him a 2 year deal start of season. When was last time he played wakey away?

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: [Match Discussion] Out of favour ?

Post by MrRugby123 » 01 May 2022, 23:04

Our overseas recruitment has been a joke over the last few years. I hope Radford can sort that out next year!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: [Match Discussion] Out of favour ?

Post by gateman » 01 May 2022, 23:42

Chesny signed to solve our long standing centre problem as far from filled the expectations we all had when he signed failed at centre for us hardly looked more than a second rower you could pick up in the championship let us hope our next overseas signings give us more value have we had our fingers burnt yes we have

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Out of favour ?

Post by FIat Capper » 03 May 2022, 11:53

The British game still has an underlying problem of believing ALL Aussies are good, be it players or coaches.

Now I'd be the first to admit the NRL has strength in depth but those teams can also carry a player to levels far beyond their capabilities. They work ok as part of a well oiled machine but once they're asked to be the big fish, they are found wanting.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 03 May 2022, 14:11

FIat Capper wrote: 03 May 2022, 11:53 The British game still has an underlying problem of believing ALL Aussies are good, be it players or coaches.

Now I'd be the first to admit the NRL has strength in depth but those teams can also carry a player to levels far beyond their capabilities. They work ok as part of a well oiled machine but once they're asked to be the big fish, they are found wanting.
Great post.

I think your point about being a solid piece in a well oiled machine is bang on. The systems and standards at at least most of the NRL clubs can make average players look better than they are as long as they remain fit, well conditioned and mentally in the right place. Take them out of that environment and put them in an inferior one where the standards and expectations are lower and it can expose flaws.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 May 2022, 16:22

The flip side of that is getting players like Jai Field and Bevan French both in running for MOS both considered average over there in Fields case that's being kind to him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 03 May 2022, 17:09

SuffolkTiger wrote: 03 May 2022, 14:11
FIat Capper wrote: 03 May 2022, 11:53 The British game still has an underlying problem of believing ALL Aussies are good, be it players or coaches.

Great post.

I think your point about being a solid piece in a well oiled machine is bang on. The systems and standards at at least most of the NRL clubs can make average players look better than they are as long as they remain fit, well conditioned and mentally in the right place. Take them out of that environment and put them in an inferior one where the standards and expectations are lower and it can expose flaws.
Rudder a case in point. Looked class with Johns as his half back partner. Never did it for us.