Sky commentary

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sky commentary

Post by Cas Cohen » 23 Apr 2022, 08:03

Just watched the game back on Sky. A few thoughts...

I actually thought the presenting and punditry last night was decent. Jenna Brooks is better at presenting than being the touchline reporter - keep her there. Wells is better at interviewing than Brooks - keep him there. As much as I hate Tomkins, he's a decent pundit and said some constructive stuff about LR and Cas going forward. Wilkin annoys me but he's better than Phil Clarke. Could have been worse.

I do however have a major gripe with the match commentary... it's failing the sport. Bill Arthur is probably a nice guy, but he's not a commentator. He tries but he just doesn't bring the game to life at all for me. Barrie and Terry don't compensate for that either, it's quite hard to listen to.

Mark Wilson and Dave Woods are excellent commentators. Why are they covering the CC and Championship when SL is what is selling the sport and is what we watch every week? Sky need to draft them in. They need to bring in Leon Pryce and Kev Brown from Prem Sports too. Not a massive fan of either of them in their playing days, but they are good pundits and have superb chemistry together.

I just don't think I can go on listening to Arthur, Barrie and Terry much longer.

It amazes me that Sky pay all that money for the rights, then the most important part (the match) is commentated on like a game of chess - we have one of the most quick, brutal and action-packed sports in the world, it needs a commentary team to match that!

Sorry - rant over :lol:

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Sky commentary

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 23 Apr 2022, 08:37

That is a great post!

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 23 Apr 2022, 11:25

you forgot that JJB has also been added to the sky pundit team & although Jamie is a great bloke his speech is not very clear. One other problem i have with the sky commentators is Barry & Terry have identical voices so I'm never sure who's talking, Bill Arthur = useless, i never thought id miss Eddy Hemmings.

Shameless
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shameless » 23 Apr 2022, 13:17

What annoys me more is the constant cutting away from the action to people in the stands or those being interviewed. I want to watch the match - I know what the coaches look like and dont need to see the assistants when being interviewed. Never used to bother me but it's becoming more regular and more annoying.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 23 Apr 2022, 13:52

Should do what the NRL do.
On replays they do it on a small square bottom of the screen.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 23 Apr 2022, 14:59

Fed up of them mentioning the size of pitch since the announcement of the improvements

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 23 Apr 2022, 15:11

pat wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:59 Fed up of them mentioning the size of pitch since the announcement of the improvements
yes they were at it again last night, now its also too narrow :x

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 23 Apr 2022, 15:26

yorky wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 15:11
pat wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:59 Fed up of them mentioning the size of pitch since the announcement of the improvements
yes they were at it again last night, now its also too narrow :x
Yes I thought that was a new one!
Was that before or after them commenting that McShane wasn’t known for defending and that Cas had managed ‘a couple’ of wins recently?

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 23 Apr 2022, 17:43

The Australian RL commentator Ray Warren sets the standard. His method is to say as little as possible and let the game do the talking.

TV coverage of the game in the UK has never been great.

Eddie Waring was the worst sports commentator ever - in my opinion. 50% of what he said couldn’t be understood. Ray French wasn’t much better.

SKY changed things in the early years of their coverage but it’s stagnated badly recently.

Tez & Baz are truly awful & often have an air of a low grade pantomime about them.

It’s all very introspective and holds the development of the game back.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 23 Apr 2022, 18:30

A lot to agree with - I noted the "McShane not noted for his defence" twaddle as well!

I actually WhatsApp'ed a mate last night complementing Jenna Brooks on the coverage. Much much better but agree with the general comms and cliché riddled drivel.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 25 Apr 2022, 09:07

Shameless wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 13:17 What annoys me more is the constant cutting away from the action to people in the stands or those being interviewed. I want to watch the match - I know what the coaches look like and dont need to see the assistants when being interviewed. Never used to bother me but it's becoming more regular and more annoying.
Spot on with that Shameless, it's really annoying when they interview someone on the sidelines and feel they have to cut away from the live action, worse still when they cut to a view of the coach when the ball is in play!
Danny Boy

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 25 Apr 2022, 09:16

mdean wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 18:30 A lot to agree with - I noted the "McShane not noted for his defence" twaddle as well!

I actually WhatsApp'ed a mate last night complementing Jenna Brooks on the coverage. Much much better but agree with the general comms and cliché riddled drivel.
Who on earth said that about Maccas defence... England hooker for a coach who wouldn't have any player near his team if he couldn't defend deary me
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 25 Apr 2022, 12:37

My fave from Friday was when Saints scored their second, good old Bill pipes up "Back-to-back tries for Castleford Tigers".

He genuinely doesn't know his harris from his elbow!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 25 Apr 2022, 13:35

FIat Capper wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 12:37 My fave from Friday was when Saints scored their second, good old Bill pipes up "Back-to-back tries for Castleford Tigers".

He genuinely doesn't know his harris from his elbow!
Bill Arthur is the worst, closely followed by that Stuart Pyke bloke. Throw in the likes of Phil Clark, Jon Wilkin and the chuckle brothers Barry and Terry and it's enough to watch the game on mute.

They are million miles away from Mark Wilson, Kyle Amor, Andy Henderson etc who are a breath of fresh air on Channel 4 and Premier Sport. Even Kev Brown is palatable.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Cas Cohen » 26 Apr 2022, 12:22

I hope Channel 4 somehow get all the rights.