[Match Discussion] St Helens (H)

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

[Match Discussion] St Helens (H)

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Apr 2022, 12:54

Been scanning their forum, looks like Sironen, Mata'utia, Knowles, Grace and Dodd all out.

We seemed to have come through Easter unscathed for probably the first time ever. Westerman with a supposed crusher tackle was sent to the match panel, but he's not been given anything.

If there's a time to beat St Helens, it's Friday!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: St Helens (H)

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2022, 13:09

I said at the start of the season that Saints do not have a deep squad. However, they have a knack of finding SL-ready 17/18 year olds, who come in and look like they’ve played to SL-standard for years.

Makes Fridays game an intriguing one. No doubt, if we win, it’ll be down to the players they have missing and not how we’ve performed.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Apr 2022, 13:17

Fumper27 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:09 I said at the start of the season that Saints do not have a deep squad. However, they have a knack of finding SL-ready 17/18 year olds, who come in and look like they’ve played to SL-standard for years.

Makes Fridays game an intriguing one. No doubt, if we win, it’ll be down to the players they have missing and not how we’ve performed.
You'd probably have to go back about 5 years at least, to when Saints had that many key players out at a time.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2022, 13:22

Well if we play like we did yesterday, they could stick LMS at half-back, bring Long, Joynt and Wellens back and still walk it!

However, if we can get the passes right, hold onto the ball and smash Walmsley, we've half a chance.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Apr 2022, 13:32

i think we may see a few of our fringe players taking the field our lads looked cream crakered

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: [Match Discussion] St Helens (H)

Post by Morrissey » 19 Apr 2022, 14:16

In terms of fresh faces:

Lawler
Blair
Matagi
Eden
Sutcliffe?

are options to freshen us up a little?

Saints do have a few missing, but it'd be some heck of a turnaround if we can get a result having played as we did yesterday. Not anticipating a high quality affair if yesterday was any indication of what we can expect.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 19 Apr 2022, 14:16

heritage1926 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:54 Been scanning their forum, looks like Sironen, Mata'utia, Knowles, Grace and Dodd all out.

We seemed to have come through Easter unscathed for probably the first time ever. Westerman with a supposed crusher tackle was sent to the match panel, but he's not been given anything.

If there's a time to beat St Helens, it's Friday!
Hurrell banned too.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Apr 2022, 14:26

Need to go up 4/5 gears from yesterdays performance to get owt out of the game.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 16:05

Intresting game on paper we should have more energy we have played two teams in bottom four who lets be honist fev would have probaly beaten , and saints have had energy sapping games against two top four teams in good form.There young half back who has being very impressive unfortinaly recieved a season ending injury on monday . So are halfs might not get out classed if they have a stand in half back as well .Play like we did against leeds long night a head if every thing clicks like wakey might have slight chance if saints show any signs off running on empty . I would expect crowd just short 8000 we being sky game on friday night any more would be brilliiant acheivment

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2022, 16:13

Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:05 we have played two teams in bottom four
Didn’t you peg us as a bottom four team? Therefore, both Saints and us have played teams of a similar skill level.
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:05 if they have a stand in half back as well
We have had a stand in half (GOB) for almost all of the season. Therefore, both teams are in the same position.
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:05 saints show any signs off running on empty
They have played the same number of games, with the same days between each as we have. Therefore, both teams are on a level playing field.

With these three points in mind, whose worse of? Saints?? Us?? Or both in the same position??

I do love it when you put forward a balanced and well thought out point of view.

Aloysius Van Bradnik
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aloysius Van Bradnik » 19 Apr 2022, 16:13

Fumper27 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:09
I wouldnt care what excuses they made if we beat them, would you?

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2022, 16:14

Aloysius Van Bradnik wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:13
Fumper27 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:09
I wouldnt care what excuses they made if we beat them, would you?
No mate. Like yesterday, I’d rather play bad and win than play good and lose.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 19 Apr 2022, 16:24

I think Radford and BBT have a cunning plan.
Radford got the players to play as badly as possible whilst scrapping a win, BBT has been playing the long game questioning the teams ability in general and alluding to the fact our halves sometimes don't perform to the required standards.
Henc Wolf will send and under strength, Ill prepared and ill disciplined squad who we will put to the sword by half time.
Dam l forgot that Saint John reads the forum and l have undone all the hard work.
I always go to matches expecting us to win.
But there again l am rather deluded hence l follow Cas.
COYF

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 16:25

Fumper27 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:13
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:05 we have played two teams in bottom four
Didn’t you peg us as a bottom four team? Therefore, both Saints and us have played teams of a similar skill level.
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:05 if they have a stand in half back as well
We have had a stand in half (GOB) for almost all of the season. Therefore, both teams are in the same position.
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:05 saints show any signs off running on empty
They have played the same number of games, with the same days between each as we have. Therefore, both teams are on a level playing field.

With these three points in mind, whose worse of? Saints?? Us?? Or both in the same position??

I do love it when you put forward a balanced and well thought out point of view.
Look like somebody got there dress in a twist today back to not allowing other opinoins you played the game the harder the team you played the longer the recovery cas hardly broke sweat against leeds saints game was a bruiser make massive help to us friday for sure if decide to turn up

DebH
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by DebH » 19 Apr 2022, 16:25

Can’t see sutcliffe playing, LR said he had knee issues that needs sorting as he’s tried to play through it since start of season. Eden back is huge but Blair , despite getting a lot of stick on here, could be useful in centers for size and defence. I hope mamo learns to bend his back this time or kick out!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2022, 16:44

Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:25

Look like somebody got there dress in a twist today back to not allowing other opinoins you played the game the harder the team you played the longer the recovery cas hardly broke sweat against leeds saints game was a bruiser make massive help to us friday for sure if decide to turn up
But surely us playing bottom four teams, when labelled as one by you, is similar to Saints playing two to four teams, is it not?

donnytiger1234
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by donnytiger1234 » 19 Apr 2022, 16:54

I don't think we will ever get a better chance to beat Saints with the side they are likely to put out

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2022, 17:00

donnytiger1234 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:54 I don't think we will ever get a better chance to beat Saints with the side they are likely to put out
Well, that's it then, odds on loss...

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 17:02

Fumper27 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:44
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:25

But surely us playing bottom four teams, when labelled as one by you, is similar to Saints playing two to four teams, is it not?
How lol if saints had played leeds and wakey cant see them running low on energy but too hard games good chance . If we had played huddesfield and wigan in four days then def have no chance apart from moral being down not much petrol left in tank you cant tell me we used much energy against leeds on that poor show should be still biting on bit friday could play into are hands if we decide to play

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Apr 2022, 17:02

donnytiger1234 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:54 I don't think we will ever get a better chance to beat Saints with the side they are likely to put out
Mark my words, it’ll be a decent team.
Even the youngsters coming in will be better than some first teamers at other clubs.