14 team SL for 2023

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Post Reply
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 365
Joined: 31 May 2015, 12:02
Contact:

14 team SL for 2023

Post by stuey » 19 Apr 2022, 11:15

Guaranteed if the bottom two end up as Toulouse and Leeds.

They have been banging on about it for years now, and it does make sense. Play every other team twice, get rid of the "loop" fixtures, keep "magic weekend" and you end up with the same 27 fixtures as now.

It won`t happen if Cas or someone else finishes bottom though.

User avatar
yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 3884
Joined: 05 Jul 2006, 18:50
Location: York, UK
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by yorky » 19 Apr 2022, 12:37

stuey wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 11:15 Guaranteed if the bottom two end up as Toulouse and Leeds.

They have been banging on about it for years now, and it does make sense. Play every other team twice, get rid of the "loop" fixtures, keep "magic weekend" and you end up with the same 27 fixtures as now.

It won`t happen if Cas or someone else finishes bottom though.
this has been my thoughts & wish for several years now, the RL want expansion yet stick to 12 teams whilst Australia have 17 in the NRL starting next year.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 153
Joined: 12 Apr 2022, 08:19
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by Cas Cohen » 19 Apr 2022, 12:52

It definitely makes sense but if that happens, they will almost certainly put in an expansion team. Obviously Barrow and Newcastle are doing well in the Championship so it would be good to get one of those north east teams in. If we are talking about making SL more competitive then Leigh and Fev could certainly give most teams in the bottom half of the league a good game at present.

But like you say 14 teams, play each other twice and MW. It provides more value to the fixture list.

If we play Leeds at home once a season, if Wigan play Saints at home once a season, FC-KR etc etc them games will sell out with fans knowing they'll have to wait another year if they miss it.

The league needs a shake up so I'm all for this.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1657
Joined: 05 Jan 2021, 17:59
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2022, 13:04

The only reason I think this won't happen is because it would make it almost impossible to refuse Fev a place in the top flight and even now, I don't think SL/RFL want another club from our area.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 153
Joined: 12 Apr 2022, 08:19
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by Cas Cohen » 19 Apr 2022, 13:32

FIat Capper wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:04 The only reason I think this won't happen is because it would make it almost impossible to refuse Fev a place in the top flight and even now, I don't think SL/RFL want another club from our area.
Fair point. But I think Fev are coming up at some point either way.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1657
Joined: 05 Jan 2021, 17:59
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2022, 14:16

Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:32
FIat Capper wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:04 The only reason I think this won't happen is because it would make it almost impossible to refuse Fev a place in the top flight and even now, I don't think SL/RFL want another club from our area..
Fair point. But I think Fev are coming up at some point either way.
You may not be surprised to learn my neighbours still believe they'll be refused entry, come what may.

I won't particularly enjoying them coming up but I also believe that on merit, if they win the championship, they deserve it.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1523
Joined: 05 Jul 2006, 23:02
Location: WAKEFIELD
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by Sharlotiger » 19 Apr 2022, 14:32

14 team SL as always made sense but it wont happen whilst the decision for change comes down to the 12 self serving clubs in it.
Can you imagine clubs like Cas, Wakey etc voting for a smaller piece of the pie.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 153
Joined: 12 Apr 2022, 08:19
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by Cas Cohen » 19 Apr 2022, 15:02

FIat Capper wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 14:16
Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:32
FIat Capper wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:04 The only reason I think this won't happen is because it would make it almost impossible to refuse Fev a place in the top flight and even now, I don't think SL/RFL want another club from our area..
Fair point. But I think Fev are coming up at some point either way.
You may not be surprised to learn my neighbours still believe they'll be refused entry, come what may.

I won't particularly enjoying them coming up but I also believe that on merit, if they win the championship, they deserve it.
I don't see how they could stop them without it looking glaringly obvious.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player
Posts: 11355
Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 08:10
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2022, 15:28

FIat Capper wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 14:16
Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:32
FIat Capper wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:04 The only reason I think this won't happen is because it would make it almost impossible to refuse Fev a place in the top flight and even now, I don't think SL/RFL want another club from our area..
Fair point. But I think Fev are coming up at some point either way.
You may not be surprised to learn my neighbours still believe they'll be refused entry, come what may.

I won't particularly enjoying them coming up but I also believe that on merit, if they win the championship, they deserve it.
Would the revenue from an home game against Fev make up for the loss of that particular piece of pie?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 5857
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 16:29
Contact:

Re: 14 team SL for 2023

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Apr 2022, 18:47

Sharlotiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 14:32 14 team SL as always made sense but it wont happen whilst the decision for change comes down to the 12 self serving clubs in it.
Can you imagine clubs like Cas, Wakey etc voting for a smaller piece of the pie.
Doubt it’s the small clubs who will block. More teams means both less chance of relegation and more chance of coming back up for established clubs.
The bigger ones who want a higher salary cap are another matter

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: orrsome and 1 guest