Zak Hardaker

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Re: Zak Hardaker

Post by mdean » 20 Apr 2022, 13:08

Sport is cynical, any team where he improves the 13 would consider it and take assurances and spin it accordingly to supporters and the media.

Would he improve our run-on 13 - yes. So we would be no different if the terms were right.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Cas Cohen » 20 Apr 2022, 16:36

mdean wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 13:08 Sport is cynical, any team where he improves the 13 would consider it and take assurances and spin it accordingly to supporters and the media.

Would he improve our run-on 13 - yes. So we would be no different if the terms were right.
You are right. It's interesting that on Twitter most Leeds fans want him. Looking at how he left there he really threw them under a bus as well considering Sinfield, Peacock and co had just retired and he was reigning MOS. Decided to get physical with a student on a night out if I remember rightly and was shipped off down under when they needed him most. Obvs he then joined us for £150k and the rest is history.

Sorry went off a bit there... my point being that despite him leaving Leeds under a cloud much like he did with us, why would most of their fans take him but most of ours wont? Or is that just because they are more desperate atm?

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Apr 2022, 16:53

It is probably a case of when he left each club.

Yes, his departure from Leeds didn't help them as such but it wasn't quite on the eve of a Grand Final, and in particular, the only one they'd ever been in. That's what probably riles most Cas fans.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 20 Apr 2022, 18:09

FIat Capper wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 11:34
SuffolkTiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 20:04
Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:47 Time is a healer for sure and you can't hold grudges in life, but what happened in 2017 still bugs me to this day. He got too proud when things were good and if he could have just stayed out of trouble for a few months, we would have won that Grand Final and he could have become a legend of this club.

If we are talking this season and his playing ability and experience alone then he would be brilliant for the current squad and he would find a place in the centre I imagine, providing a much-needed spark in attack and reliability in defence.

However, too much hurt and risk comes with the name Zak Hardaker, so it's a no from me.
I doubt the rumour has any validity but….

Fully agree CC.

For me, Old Trafford 2017 is a wound that will always leave a nasty scar. I firmly believe that the fall out from his low intelligence and selfish actions cost us a unique place in RL history. He ruined everything created in that remarkable season including the goodwill and affection from other clubs in this and other countries.

Drugs damage lives. He’s had all his chances. He had the support and rehab. I have no sympathy if the above haunts him for years to come.
So would you have rather never had him play for Cas and therefore, quite possibly never have got to Old Trafford in the first place?

He may have let us down but he didn't play on the day and those that did seem to melt in the heat of battle. I find it hard to blame ZH for that part.
You ask a fair question and make a decent point.

I guess we will never know. The effect on the squad in those days before the biggest game in our history (arguably) in front of a global audience must have been immense.

The bit I can’t forgive is that we gave him a chance to put his past behind him. He knew what was building at the club and how integral he was in that. He knew that doing what he did could potentially let down a lot of good people close to him and thousands of fans. Knowing all that he repeated his past and thought only of himself.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Cas Cohen » 21 Apr 2022, 11:21

Spot on @SuffolkTiger. It's weird because I still somewhere deep down have a soft spot for Zak, probably those 2017 memories are my greatest being a Cas fan, and he was an integral part of that. But, like you say, he let us all down on the biggest stage in the club's history and I don't think there is any turning back now.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Apr 2022, 12:35

SuffolkTiger wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 18:09
Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:47 Time is a healer for sure and you can't hold grudges in life, but what happened in 2017 still bugs me to this day. He got too proud when things were good and if he could have just stayed out of trouble for a few months, we would have won that Grand Final and he could have become a legend of this club.

If we are talking this season and his playing ability and experience alone then he would be brilliant for the current squad and he would find a place in the centre I imagine, providing a much-needed spark in attack and reliability in defence.

However, too much hurt and risk comes with the name Zak Hardaker, so it's a no from me.

Fully agree CC.

For me, Old Trafford 2017 is a wound that will always leave a nasty scar. I firmly believe that the fall out from his low intelligence and selfish actions cost us a unique place in RL history. He ruined everything created in that remarkable season including the goodwill and affection from other clubs in this and other countries.

Drugs damage lives. He’s had all his chances. He had the support and rehab. I have no sympathy if the above haunts him for years to come.
So would you have rather never had him play for Cas and therefore, quite possibly never have got to Old Trafford in the first place?

He may have let us down but he didn't play on the day and those that did seem to melt in the heat of battle. I find it hard to blame ZH for that part.

I guess we will never know. The effect on the squad in those days before the biggest game in our history (arguably) in front of a global audience must have been immense.

The bit I can’t forgive is that we gave him a chance to put his past behind him. He knew what was building at the club and how integral he was in that. He knew that doing what he did could potentially let down a lot of good people close to him and thousands of fans. Knowing all that he repeated his past and thought only of himself.
He cost himself a place in the World Cup as well he might have got a winners medal there if he hadn't acted like a buffoon while he was down lane at least in his last two months
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Cas Cohen » 21 Apr 2022, 13:19

tigerfeat wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 12:35
SuffolkTiger wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 18:09

Fully agree CC.

He cost himself a place in the World Cup as well he might have got a winners medal there if he hadn't acted like a buffoon while he was down lane at least in his last two months
He'll certainly have some regrets when he hangs up the boots in a few years and he realises just how short a RL career is. He will realise how lucky he was to be in such a privileged position, and with such ability, but it only lasts so long so you have to make the most out of it when it's good. Unfortunately when it was good for Zak he always ruined it. I worry for him when his playing days end, he will need good people around him.

Toffycat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Toffycat » 21 Apr 2022, 15:16

Rugby's Gazza

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 21 Apr 2022, 22:00

Contract is gonna be terminated tomorrow according to John Davison. Leeds aren’t interested apparently so we must surely make a punt for him with Evalds and Turner out.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 21 Apr 2022, 22:43

Just read about this so where would he be heading? Fev interested? Toulouse?

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 21 Apr 2022, 22:45

I wouldn't offer him the security of a contract,permanent or on loan,a pay as you play deal until the end of the season maybe. The need to keep the money coming in might focus his mind a bit more. Can't see it happening though,somebody somewhere will be desperate enough to take the risk.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 21 Apr 2022, 23:46

If the rumours are true, terminating his contract will not be for a minor discretion.
So he may face further sanctions making him ineligible for anyone..
So would you really want to take a pint.
Yes he's a prestigious talent but could have a massive negative impact on the long term culture of a club.
It's the third such occasion.
I can't deny watching him in his pomp in a Cas Shirt was great.
The dustcart of a Grand Final is in. My opinion laid at his door.
It does not excuse the abysmal performance of those who played but their success and also dignity.
I think signing him may be a solution to one issue but one which could be detrimental to the culture of the club.
The lad has his demons and his sycophants no doubt feed on it and contribute to his problems thanks for the memories bit get yourself sorted.
Some risks are not worth taking.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 22 Apr 2022, 00:03

casjunction wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 23:46 If the rumours are true, terminating his contract will not be for a minor discretion.
Depends. They know he won’t be staying beyond this year, so if they have a centre lined up and need his space on the salary cap then they could decide to end his contract for a minor indiscretion to allow the, to bring someone else in,

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 22 Apr 2022, 01:05

I know it's Wigan and the salary cap does not count for them.
I also am not an expert, well on anything but even terminating his contract he would still be entitled to his money and would this not therefore create any salary cap space.?

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 22 Apr 2022, 01:07

Got banged up in ponty I’ve heard

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 22 Apr 2022, 03:20

casjunction wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 01:05 I know it's Wigan and the salary cap does not count for them.
I also am not an expert, well on anything but even terminating his contract he would still be entitled to his money and would this not therefore create any salary cap space.?
Entitled to what money? I'd assume it works the same as any normal job. If you do something wrong and get fired they don't have to give you the remainder of your salary. Therefore his salary should be off their books, which allows them to fetch someone else in.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 22 Apr 2022, 04:30

LeagueLeaders wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 03:20
casjunction wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 01:05 I know it's Wigan and the salary cap does not count for them.
Entitled to what money? I'd assume it works the same as any normal job. If you do something wrong and get fired they don't have to give you the remainder of your salary. Therefore his salary should be off their books, which allows them to fetch someone else in.
Yep. If he has done something that falls into the category of gross misconduct then he can be dismissed. He would only be entitled to be paid up until the day of dismissal.

If Wigan had any brains, they would have had additional stipulations written into his contract due to his past record.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 22 Apr 2022, 06:50

I stand corrected if it is gross misconduct and disciplinary procedures have been adhered to.
No doubt more will be revealed.
Wigan didn't look to shoddy without him.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Apr 2022, 07:10

Banged up in the cells... he's a grown man with a young family not some teenager when will he grow up
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi