The crowd

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

The crowd

Post by Cas Cohen » 18 Apr 2022, 18:23

Went to the game today and I thought the crowd was edgy, which rubbed off on the players. Lot of supporters around me were very impatient.. I know it's passion but abusing the players achieves nothing.. or was it just me who felt this?

We are nine games into the Radford era after almost a decade of DP, give him and the players time. Sure it is rough around the edges but we have just beaten our two biggest rivals over Easter. Let's get some perspective.

Danny Boy
Verified

Re: The crowd

Post by Danny Boy » 19 Apr 2022, 09:19

Totally agree about abusing players, it's not good and it was great to see the players put an arm around Jake Mamo, after his error that saw them score their first try. It would also be good, if the more vocal supporters would get behind our players, rather than singing such as "your support is xxxxx xxxx"
Danny Boy

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Apr 2022, 09:24

Cas Cohen wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 18:23 Went to the game today and I thought the crowd was edgy, which rubbed off on the players. Lot of supporters around me were very impatient.. I know it's passion but abusing the players achieves nothing.. or was it just me who felt this?

We are nine games into the Radford era after almost a decade of DP, give him and the players time. Sure it is rough around the edges but we have just beaten our two biggest rivals over Easter. Let's get some perspective.
Agreed. Including the cup , Radford is now performing better than Powell has done so far at Wire this season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Apr 2022, 09:25

Mamo goes to the fans after every game taking photos he was about 10-15 minutes doing it at Wakey popular guy
Support is always better at away games I find
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 19 Apr 2022, 09:36

Atmosphere was poor. Probably poorest I can remember against Leeds. I wish more would be vocal in WRE and around ground in general but it seems to dwindle.

Mamo's error was appalling and could have been very costly so deserves any stick he gets I feel. He got a way with the exact same error early in the game so why would a pro sportsman repeat that with seconds to half time with nothing to gain from trying to gather the ball? Dreadful. I think he has been the weakest signing by a long way. Him and Sutcliffe yet to impress.
A win against Leeds always a pleasure amd as bad as we were I'll take 2 points every day of the week.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 09:43

Think if team is not performing at any professional sport were people have paid there hard heard money to watch have right to criticize players who are probably on a lot more wage them there self if they seem to be not performing to there best . You would get criticized in most jobs by people if you want performing to what you was paid to do . As a all think crowds have being very good this year home and away for us. Some people are happy clappers who are contempt how ever we play a suppose good on you but don't criticize people want to see effort for there cash takin the high moral ground it upsets players .

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Apr 2022, 09:57

I watched on tv.
I thought the atmosphere coming over IMO seemed flat.
I txt the daughter and asked her if it was flat and she said yes.
Only time it changed was when watts went over. You could actually hear the fans.
It was a nerve wracking game so understandable the fans were nervous.

Over 9k and it sounded like 9.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 19 Apr 2022, 10:10

old cas lass wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:57 I watched on tv.
I thought the atmosphere coming over IMO seemed flat.
I txt the daughter and asked her if it was flat and she said yes.
Only time it changed was when watts went over. You could actually hear the fans.
It was a nerve wracking game so understandable the fans were nervous.

Over 9k and it sounded like 9.
Yes it was flat. For a Derby game surprising. Long gone are the days when Loiners would fill Railwayend and most of Princess Street. They have all sneaked off to Elland Road I imagine now. Not surprising for a fickle lot like that when you see how turgid that squad is. We should have thumped them yesterday but a win is a win.
Back to the main point though, never felt a more subdued atmosphere in build up to Leeds at home. Weird.
Magic weekend could be very odd if their form continues.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 19 Apr 2022, 10:30

I echo a lot of what was said there to be honest. What I will say is that we did everything possible seemingly to conspire to lose that game against an abject Leeds side. A lot of times gone by we would have conspired to lose that but the two points are in the bank and with Saints on Friday that is a positive.

Felt for you Sinfield, there is a lot of weight in that shirt at Leeds and playing in those circumstances is not easy either.

Atmosphere wise, I have felt for a while that it has become strange, I agree with Tigerfeat and have said the same about a lot of sport - at away games there is a lot less dissent and criticism, it is a lot more positive. not only watching Cas.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 19 Apr 2022, 11:02

Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:43 Think if team is not performing at any professional sport were people have paid there hard heard money to watch have right to criticize players who are probably on a lot more wage them there self if they seem to be not performing to there best . You would get criticized in most jobs by people if you want performing to what you was paid to do . As a all think crowds have being very good this year home and away for us. Some people are happy clappers who are contempt how ever we play a suppose good on you but don't criticize people want to see effort for there cash takin the high moral ground it upsets players .
Are the happy clappers the ones wearing rose tinted glasses or are they a different group in your well researched, fact based and balanced demographical categorisation of our supporter base?

Which category are the "Trueman isn't garbage" group in? I'm in that (minority based on your research) group so I need to know where I fit in the whole process. Will we all have to wear badges and stand in designated areas of the ground?

One detailed question - are the rose tinted glasses wearing group allowed to clap happily if they are not in the happy clappers group? If not, how will they be able to show their appreciation during the game? Will it be by a deft nod of the head and a smile (ensuring, of course, that their rose coloured spectacles don't fall off during the act of nodding)?

Fascinating stuff that you are unearthing.

On your point about being criticised at work if not performing to the required level. That's no longer the process.

The process is that the individual is offered support and guidance by their employer in order to bring the performance levels back to the required standard over a period of time. There is also a key focus on supporting the individual with any internal and/or external factors which may be affecting performance.

Unconstructive criticism and rollickings are no longer acceptable as a method of driving performance. When accompanied by unacceptable language it's something that belongs in the deep and distant past.

My way of looking at it is that If I'm shouting salty criticism at a player during the game and then find out it's his Mum stood next to me, how would she feel about me? I would react badly to it if it was the other way round and it was my son or daughter out there. We are a family sport and parents with children attending games don't want to and shouldn't have to hear the worst form of what is showered from the terraces by some supporters.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2022, 11:34

Does the crowd reflect the performance or vice verse?

I know I'm nervous about every game and whilst my attendances are low these days, where ever I watch or listen I'm on constant edge.

The joys of being a Cas fan...

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 12:04

SuffolkTiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 11:02
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:43 Think if team is not performing at any professional sport were people have paid there hard heard money to watch have right to criticize players who are probably on a lot more wage them there self if they seem to be not performing to there best . You would get criticized in most jobs by people if you want performing to what you was paid to do . As a all think crowds have being very good this year home and away for us. Some people are happy clappers who are contempt how ever we play a suppose good on you but don't criticize people want to see effort for there cash takin the high moral ground it upsets players .
Are the happy clappers the ones wearing rose tinted glasses or are they a different group in your well researched, fact based and balanced demographical categorisation of our supporter base?

Which category are the "Trueman isn't garbage" group in? I'm in that (minority based on your research) group so I need to know where I fit in the whole process. Will we all have to wear badges and stand in designated areas of the ground?

One detailed question - are the rose tinted glasses wearing group allowed to clap happily if they are not in the happy clappers group? If not, how will they be able to show their appreciation during the game? Will it be by a deft nod of the head and a smile (ensuring, of course, that their rose coloured spectacles don't fall off during the act of nodding)?

Fascinating stuff that you are unearthing.

On your point about being criticised at work if not performing to the required level. That's no longer the process.

The process is that the individual is offered support and guidance by their employer in order to bring the performance levels back to the required standard over a period of time. There is also a key focus on supporting the individual with any internal and/or external factors which may be affecting performance.

Unconstructive criticism and rollickings are no longer acceptable as a method of driving performance. When accompanied by unacceptable language it's something that belongs in the deep and distant past.

My way of looking at it is that If I'm shouting salty criticism at a player during the game and then find out it's his Mum stood next to me, how would she feel about me? I would react badly to it if it was the other way round and it was my son or daughter out there. We are a family sport and parents with children attending games don't want to and shouldn't have to hear the worst form of what is showered from the terraces by some supporters.
Wow alot off work in that post your opinion right or wrong very woke view. You seem to think your better then alot off cas fans who pay there money same as you .Maybe you should watch rugby union or bit off cricket not a northen working class game. You think people dont get criticzed by mangers at work if not performing kind off cotton cuddle job do you do
Last edited by Blackbulltiger on 19 Apr 2022, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Apr 2022, 12:05

Let's call it how it is. The atmosphere for a Cas/Leeds game was terrible, worst I've heard in years.

The mood was edgy because the players made it edgy. We came down to Leeds level and played appallingly. IMO everything was ok until Mamo's brain fart seconds before HT, had we gone in 8-0, the 2nd half probably would have played out differently, they certainly wouldn't have gone in buoyed only being 2 points behind.

Fans as well as players need to be much better when Saints come on Friday.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Cas Cohen » 19 Apr 2022, 12:36

I don't buy into this 'if you pay your money you have a right to do what you want' narrative. Where do you draw the line at that? Can I just walk in the ground and start shouting racist comments because I paid £20 for a ticket? Can I walk on and punch a player because I paid in? It's not a woke view. I think people should be allowed their opinions, but leave them as an opinion on the terraces between each other, don't shout 'you useless s*** c***' to Mamo when he's stood 15 metres away on the wing. For me that's abuse in any walk of life no matter how rich, poor or expensive something or someone is.

Perhaps more to the point, why would anyone want to abuse their own players? It achieves nothing. In fact it has an adverse affect and ruins the player's confidence. I don't think any player should be abused, but at the very least if you're going to be that person then shout it at the other team.

Yesterday was my first time at a home game for a long while and it was a bit of strange experience. That connection between the fans and players needs to be rebuilt a bit I think. I may be wrong here but I think we do better as a crowd when we are the underdogs. That 'no lose' mentality has always brought the best out in Cas fans and made it a hostile atmosphere for visiting teams. Hopefully that returns on Friday.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 19 Apr 2022, 12:55

tigerfeat wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:25 Mamo goes to the fans after every game taking photos he was about 10-15 minutes doing it at Wakey popular guy
Support is always better at away games I find
Depends what you mean by support. If it’s the kind of embarrassing, juvenile chanting such as the one mentioned above then I would suggest it’s of no use whatsoever. There’s a small section of our support who seem convinced they’re watching Leeds United.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 13:02

Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:36 I don't buy into this 'if you pay your money you have a right to do what you want' narrative. Where do you draw the line at that? Can I just walk in the ground and start shouting racist comments because I paid £20 for a ticket? Can I walk on and punch a player because I paid in? It's not a woke view. I think people should be allowed their opinions, but leave them as an opinion on the terraces between each other, don't shout 'you useless s*** c***' to Mamo when he's stood 15 metres away on the wing. For me that's abuse in any walk of life no matter how rich, poor or expensive something or someone is.

Perhaps more to the point, why would anyone want to abuse their own players? It achieves nothing. In fact it has an adverse affect and ruins the player's confidence. I don't think any player should be abused, but at the very least if you're going to be that person then shout it at the other team.

Yesterday was my first time at a home game for a long while and it was a bit of strange experience. That connection between the fans and players needs to be rebuilt a bit I think. I may be wrong here but I think we do better as a crowd when we are the underdogs. That 'no lose' mentality has always brought the best out in Cas fans and made it a hostile atmosphere for visiting teams. Hopefully that returns on Friday.
Your exactley right no racist abuse should be used if this is case should be banned for life. But for encourage players to do better is different thing all together . sports in school alot dont reconise winners not to upset the students not performing this barmy woke thinking off cause players letting team and fans down should be criticzed all day long thats what they get payed for to perform for the fans . Its a entertaimment bussiness were the goal is to win and what we pay for out off ever shrinking wages to see . If people happy to clap with under perrformance you hav e more money then sense

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Apr 2022, 13:15

Criticise = to pick up someone’s faults

Encourage = to give support, confidence or hope

Think you’re starting to mix your descriptive words as what you used before and what you just used are as different as black and white.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Apr 2022, 13:18

Mamo yesterday was a classic case of supporting a player rather than abusing him.

He had an absolute mare of a game; sloppy passes, dropped balls, the hack out that wasn't (which he'd almost done once previously) and so on. He even made a good break in the second half and only needed a half decent off-load to set up a certain try but hung onto the ball. The proverbial bad day at the office.

We all have em and I for one just need someone to say, clam down, head up, it'll come, just don't stop trying.

Cas Cohen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Cas Cohen » 19 Apr 2022, 13:21

Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:02
Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:36 I don't buy into this 'if you pay your money you have a right to do what you want' narrative. Where do you draw the line at that? Can I just walk in the ground and start shouting racist comments because I paid £20 for a ticket? Can I walk on and punch a player because I paid in? It's not a woke view. I think people should be allowed their opinions, but leave them as an opinion on the terraces between each other, don't shout 'you useless s*** c***' to Mamo when he's stood 15 metres away on the wing. For me that's abuse in any walk of life no matter how rich, poor or expensive something or someone is.

Your exactley right no racist abuse should be used if this is case should be banned for life. But for encourage players to do better is different thing all together . sports in school alot dont reconise winners not to upset the students not performing this barmy woke thinking off cause players letting team and fans down should be criticzed all day long thats what they get payed for to perform for the fans . Its a entertaimment bussiness were the goal is to win and what we pay for out off ever shrinking wages to see . If people happy to clap with under perrformance you hav e more money then sense
I think abusing our own players and showing passion are separate things. Sure everyone has let out a major groan and few expletives after a knock-on or a mistake, you wouldn't be a fan otherwise and that's the passion of wanting to win. But shouting abuse at one of our own 20 mins after he's made a bit of a gaff is not the one. Imagine being upset at beating Leeds at home. We played poor and still won. Some players were below par and made mistakes, but we still won. Jake will score on Friday and he'll be those particular fan's favourite player again.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 19 Apr 2022, 13:44

Cas Cohen wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:21
Blackbulltiger wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:02

I think abusing our own players and showing passion are separate things. Sure everyone has let out a major groan and few expletives after a knock-on or a mistake, you wouldn't be a fan otherwise and that's the passion of wanting to win. But shouting abuse at one of our own 20 mins after he's made a bit of a gaff is not the one. Imagine being upset at beating Leeds at home. We played poor and still won. Some players were below par and made mistakes, but we still won. Jake will score on Friday and he'll be those particular fan's favourite player again.
Depends what u class abuse any thing racist or familly or way sonebody looks off course no need for but how somebody is playing cant see a problem with iin a entertainment business.If you paid to see a comedian and they was awfull you would not eccle. Its part of rugby and always will be theys too much woke in the world gone too much if you cant tell a player hes playing crap and pull fingerout jesus should not have to even justify doing this to a few happy clappers .