Half backs.......

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Half backs.......

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Apr 2022, 11:44

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 09:21 Maybe he got sick of what he was reading about himself on forums like this and decided to go to somewhere he was wanted on better money. Or perhaps it’s more winding up by an agent.
Firstly, he's a professional athlete. If he performs poorly, he should expect people to express an opinion and be critical. The same things happens at any club in any sport.
Secondly, criticism would be stronger at Hull FC - just look at their page in RL Fans!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Apr 2022, 11:45

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 07:41 Maybe we should have persuaded him to go when Warrington offered us a lot of money I got told before Christmas he was going to sign a new deal at Cas but if he's off to Hull on a bumper deal Hull are taking a risk he's not looked the same player to me since he started with his back problem
Maybe Cas know that he has a chronic injury so aren't offering him a new deal, or a new deal that is lower than the one he is on now?

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 12 Apr 2022, 12:01

No good at the link stuff but I've just read his agents quotes on Truey about to sit down with Cas to discuss a new contract as he loves it at Cas. They'll then take it from there but it will always be a case of other cubs interested in him.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Apr 2022, 12:30

nottinghamtiger wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:44
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 09:21 Maybe he got sick of what he was reading about himself on forums like this and decided to go to somewhere he was wanted on better money. Or perhaps it’s more winding up by an agent.
Firstly, he's a professional athlete. If he performs poorly, he should expect people to express an opinion and be critical. The same things happens at any club in any sport.
Secondly, criticism would be stronger at Hull FC - just look at their page in RL Fans!
Not defending him, I agree he’s underperformed. Just speculating on why…and IF anything is really happening.
I don’t need to look at the Hull page I used to watch them and Rovers alternate weeks for years. I’ve also seen how many half backs they’d gone through in the years. They used to say the Hull telephone directory had three volumes A-M, N-Z and Hull FC half backs.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 12 Apr 2022, 13:11

It might just be the environment, loads of players are rank average one place and good somewhere else.

Not claiming any knowledge or insight or hinting at issues, players look like someone else sometimes when they have a change for good and for bad.

I would suggest though that it wouldn't be too hard to picture us moving on, if it comes to that.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 12 Apr 2022, 13:13

FIat Capper wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 12:01 No good at the link stuff but I've just read his agents quotes on Truey about to sit down with Cas to discuss a new contract as he loves it at Cas. They'll then take it from there but it will always be a case of other cubs interested in him.
If he’s trying to sort a deal out at cas, good luck to him.
Cos the way he’s playing at the min there’s no way we should be giving him a pay rise.
Needs to be offered no more than he’s on at the moment.
If he’s not happy with that, toodle loo. C thee.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Apr 2022, 13:17

nottinghamtiger wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:45
tigerfeat wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 07:41 Maybe we should have persuaded him to go when Warrington offered us a lot of money I got told before Christmas he was going to sign a new deal at Cas but if he's off to Hull on a bumper deal Hull are taking a risk he's not looked the same player to me since he started with his back problem
Maybe Cas know that he has a chronic injury so aren't offering him a new deal, or a new deal that is lower than the one he is on now?
I don't know he has a chronic injury obviously he's had a bad back and it's affected how he plays
He hasn't been as affective as you want your half back to be but he's still backed up play scored trys put in nice passes to make trys and his defence is always good
I will watch how his career progresses I still believe he will play at a high level given he's injury free
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 12 Apr 2022, 15:25

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 13:17
I don't know he has a chronic injury obviously he's had a bad back and it's affected how he plays
He hasn't been as affective as you want your half back to be but he's still backed up play scored trys put in nice passes to make trys and his defence is always good
I will watch how his career progresses I still believe he will play at a high level given he's injury free
But was no good before his injury if want fully fit would not be playing so poor excuse

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Apr 2022, 16:00

He went on the England tour to Australia can't get what you mean
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Apr 2022, 16:34

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 16:00 He went on the England tour to Australia can't get what you mean
GB tour to New Zealand.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 12 Apr 2022, 17:23

tigerfeat wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 16:00 He went on the England tour to Australia can't get what you mean
didn’t you know the purpose of an international tour is to not take good players?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Apr 2022, 17:35

Fumper27 wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 17:23
didn’t you know the purpose of an international tour is to not take good players?
Not only that DP kept saying he was a special player from the moment he got into first team he's a fair judge of a player im not saying he hasn't had games where he's not been affective but to say he's never been any good I don't get that
Vince Lombardi

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Apr 2022, 18:06

Trueman has yet to realise his potential.
He announced his arrival with a hat trick against Wigan was always going to be a tough one to build from.
It's difficult to know how long he had been carrying an injury and how well he has recovered.
He is a good defender and the tackles he puts in will not have aided his recuperation.
He certainly has not progressed as well as l would have hoped and seems to lack confidence.
On Friday l thought he should have backed himself with the try line beckoning but as I've never played the game l don't have the wisdom of some contributors.
I have been disappointed in his progress, however l certainly don't revel in poor performances by any case player.
We certainly seem to have a number of players in this category.
However l just wish Big Joe would not try to make up for the deficiencies of some of his team mates.
Let's hope they all find there form over Easter.
COYF

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Apr 2022, 19:42

Exactly my point. Nobody but Cas will know how likely his injury is to be chronic and recurring.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 12 Apr 2022, 19:53

Don’t think he played a game on the tour.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Apr 2022, 20:09

It was GB in NZ and he didn’t
Don’t know if he played for England nine’s though

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 12 Apr 2022, 22:12

Blackbulltiger wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 15:25
But was no good before his injury if want fully fit would not be playing so poor excuse
I’m aware that it won’t fit with your relentless and tiresome persecution of our young, developing half back but the facts are that DP was very clear on numerous occasions publicly with everyone that Jake was playing injured long before his op. Before that he received multiple plaudits from all corners of the UK game which were backed up with numerous man of the match awards. Worth also remembering that Jake has spent his formative playing years in a period where we have been in decline since 2017. We haven’t been able to bring young players on like Saints have in that period.

He was forced to play with the back injury because of our dearth of fit half backs and lack of effective recruitment.

The root of our current half back issues goes right back to the injury blighted spell suffered by Ben Roberts. For whatever reason the BOD, DP & Jon Wells have failed to ensure we are robust enough in the halves as a result of very poor recruitment & succession planning.

We are where we are this season. Great recruitment needed to fix it for 2023.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 12 Apr 2022, 22:58

Wasn’t Jake SL young player of the year in the past? Must’ve been a crap year for young talent if he won that award.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 13 Apr 2022, 05:45

Fumper27 wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 22:58 Wasn’t Jake SL young player of the year in the past? Must’ve been a crap year for young talent if he won that award.
He was (2018).

2 previous Cas winners:
- Joe Westerman (2008)
- Daryl Clark (2014)

It would be good if he doesn’t have to do what JW & DC did - spend his best years benefiting another club.

Monty

Post by Monty » 13 Apr 2022, 06:06

If he wants to be spawned over, bigged up and to hear he is the greatest player ever let him sign for the codheads. Mrs Barista with comeonyoull and other multiple accounts will oblige hourly. And God forbid any other hull fan who disagrees with her.
And to think some of us use to do rlfans.