Joe Westerman

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Joe Westerman

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Mar 2022, 21:52

Why not? People learn from their mistakes, that’s how they improve

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Mar 2022, 21:54

I recall a RL magazine with a feature on the best young players, including Aussies. They had Westerman as number 1 in the world, with Richard Owen in the top 5. You could use that to say he didn’t reach the expected heights, but a lot happens with youngsters.

Saint John

Post by Saint John » 28 Mar 2022, 00:26

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 09:19
daytona wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 00:36
Saint John wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 23:37
heritage1926 wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 21:32 Phenomenal player. The best 13 in the league hands down. Such a smart rugby brain and has gotten better with age.
Have you seen that young lad that plays 13 for Saints? Morgan Knowles I think he's called......
Hi Saint John, great to have fans of other clubs on here, you are more than welcome. You have an outstanding talent in Morgan Knowles who will no doubt have a massive impact on your season and on the World Cup at the end of the year. He is direct, hard as nails, great offload and as fast many outside backs in the comp.
I will say with Westy though he he has all that in equal measure (apart from the pace bit) but he also has the rugby brain and nouse of a top class half back. A definite throwback to what loose forwards were in days gone by and if Morgan can learn how to dominate a game like Joe did today, he could well end up a future man of steel and hopefully World Cup winner.
Hi Saint John. Good to hear from you. I agree with what Daytona says both about Morgan Knowles and Westerman. When I was a kid rugby league had loose forwards with a whole range of skills including kicking in many cases. Mal Reilly was in my view the best, but players like Saints Kel Collette and Hull ( and Cas’s) Steve Norton were other great number 13s. Joe is a real throw back to those times including when he was first playing, the kicking. O’ Loughlin for me has been the only real example in recent times while talents like Joe have been wasted as third props. Respect to Morgan, a real talent who hopefully will entertain us all for years.
I
Fair comments indeed TT and Daytona. The modern game has produced 13's primarily as first class defenders and secondly as proxy props to batter the line, not necessarily to the games betterment. Knowles is the outstanding modern 13.

I do agree that Westerman is a superior ball player, probably down to his half back younger years. More skilled 13's used to be the norm and I hope Westerman has a great year and makes the World cup squad. Much as I disliked O'Laughlin for the consistent high shots that guy could pass a ball further and faster than I could kick one!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Mar 2022, 00:34

Cheers Saint John. Interesting chat

JSLisnotaprop
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JSLisnotaprop » 28 Mar 2022, 08:37

One thing that I absolutely love to see is players showing passion,
after the Hull win, after several trys on Saturday Westy was quick to celebrate and show what it meant to him on the field.

Not only quick to celebrate, but he was quick to pull Lawler to one side in the warm up at Wire and give him an ear bending for something.

cant knock someone for showing what it means to wear the shirt.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 28 Mar 2022, 12:06

JSLisnotaprop wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 08:37 One thing that I absolutely love to see is players showing passion,
after the Hull win, after several trys on Saturday Westy was quick to celebrate and show what it meant to him on the field.

Not only quick to celebrate, but he was quick to pull Lawler to one side in the warm up at Wire and give him an ear bending for something.

cant knock someone for showing what it means to wear the shirt.
Nail on head. He was instrumental in GOB’s try & was punching the air like the most passionate of fans when the lightest player on the pitch carried 2 would be Leeds tacklers over the line with him. Great to see.

As Shankly said when asked what was the one attribute he had to have in any player: “Natural enthusiasm. Without it a man is nothing”

gillforsuccess

Post by gillforsuccess » 06 Apr 2022, 19:53

Just listened to the podcast that Eddie and Stevo do and Stevo rates him as one of the best players in Super League and wants him in World Cup squad.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 06 Apr 2022, 21:50

gillforsuccess wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 19:53 Just listened to the podcast that Eddie and Stevo do and Stevo rates him as one of the best players in Super League and wants him in World Cup squad.
Even if he has a career year I don't think he gets picked over Knowles. Maybe in the bigger squad bot never in the 17.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Apr 2022, 22:46

Swagger wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 21:50
gillforsuccess wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 19:53 Just listened to the podcast that Eddie and Stevo do and Stevo rates him as one of the best players in Super League and wants him in World Cup squad.
Even if he has a career year I don't think he gets picked over Knowles. Maybe in the bigger squad bot never in the 17.
I think that depends on what Shaun Wane wants from his 13. Knowles and Westerman are both great players but completely different.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 06 Apr 2022, 22:54

Never once let us down,

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 07 Apr 2022, 08:08

Westerman and Knowles are so far ahead of any other 13's in the league, but you just know Bateman will still get ahead of them both, even though he's been garbage.

Joe offers more than any other forward in the league IMO. I'd still say Knowles is the better player, but Westy has the better skill set, which Wane would be a fool to over look if he's still playing this well come season end.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 07 Apr 2022, 09:37

heritage1926 wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 08:08 Westerman and Knowles are so far ahead of any other 13's in the league, but you just know Bateman will still get ahead of them both, even though he's been garbage.

Joe offers more than any other forward in the league IMO. I'd still say Knowles is the better player, but Westy has the better skill set, which Wane would be a fool to over look if he's still playing this well come season end.
Bateman could play in the second row which hes done most of his career.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 07 Apr 2022, 11:12

I see Bateman and Knowles as an exciting second row and when you put JW behind them, we should be competitive.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 07 Apr 2022, 15:01

My money says Bateman will play centre

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 08 Apr 2022, 08:54

Think you also have to filter in that Elliot Whitehead is now playing the '13' role in Australia and doing well so may be considered by wane.
The thing with Joe is he's got good hands and you want him playing what he sees, I thought that's not the wane style of play but he's probably as close to wanes golden boy oloughlin as we've now got in the game. So who knows? We know he's an 80 minute player if need be, he can do the hard yards too if need be! Certainly a good bloke to have in the squad
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 08 Apr 2022, 09:00

derbystiger wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 15:01 My money says Bateman will play centre
Mmm strange dilemma this. I think Farnsworth and percival will probably start as centres, I'm not sure if these two actually play the same side for their respective teams! But who else is there? Newman? Will he be fit? Hardaker? Will wane pick him for centre when he doesn't play there for his team and wigan play Bibby over him? Therefore why pick Bateman there if Bibby is there for wigan? I don't see Bibby as that good but the lad has done OK. At minute Bateman would be nowhere near the squad. He's been poor ever since he came back to England for me. Farrell is head and shoulders above him.
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 08 Apr 2022, 16:05

It's simple really, nobody should be playing out of position. If someone can't make the team due to injury etc, then it should be the next one on the list for that position, and not someone else who the coach likes and says can do a job in said position. It must be really disheartening when this happens 🥺

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Apr 2022, 17:15

It happened with GB for years particularly 13s like Sculthorpe, Sinfield etc playing 6