[Match Discussion] Leeds (A) cup

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: [Match Discussion] Leeds (A) cup

Post by SuffolkTiger » 27 Mar 2022, 00:22

The draw for the quarters has also been kind to us.

Even though it’s away, it’s probably a team we would have chosen given the chance. Some of the higher places SL sides will exit the competition in the next round…. 👍

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 27 Mar 2022, 00:28

SuffolkTiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 00:14
orrsome wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 23:15 I was really surprised that the Rhinos players didn’t lift for JJB but they are just not playing as a team.
Not sympathising with them but they must have been expecting far better from Sezer and Austin.

But then - who cares? There’s not much as a Cas fan that feels better than handing out a spanking to big city Leeds Rhinos😂😂

Good to think we are improving and they are playing like relegation candidates.
I doubted that JJB would spark them up. As he was already part of the coaching staff, he’s effectively part of the problem. He and Sean Long looked shell shocked in the stands.

So many positives today but the most encouraging sign for me was the spirit visible amongst the players.

Top 3 pleasing aspects:
- Greg Eden. Wow! His pace frightens defences.
- Liam Watts. Back to his rampant best. Offloading was immense.
- Truey. Gaining confidence game by game. Silencing the doubters who have slated him week after week. Those same doubters should have another look at the shocking performance of the “star” LR half back pairing that had expensive investment thrown at it in the summer. Stealing a wage.

All in all, a hugely positive step forward. Big game on Friday.
Agree we you friday game alot bigger then todays win

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 27 Mar 2022, 01:02

I reckon in 35 years of watching Cas that has to be the poorest crowd I have ever seen from a Leeds side.
Lovely stadium, awful playing surface and pathetic turnout.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 27 Mar 2022, 01:33

Is this our turning point for 2022?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Mar 2022, 03:59

SuffolkTiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 00:22 The draw for the quarters has also been kind to us.

Even though it’s away, it’s probably a team we would have chosen given the chance. Some of the higher places SL sides will exit the competition in the next round…. 👍
Not sure. We don’t have a great record over there.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Mar 2022, 07:44

Dennis Vazquez wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 01:02 I reckon in 35 years of watching Cas that has to be the poorest crowd I have ever seen from a Leeds side.
Lovely stadium, awful playing surface and pathetic turnout.
Leeds are in a right mess it's what happens when you make bad decision after bad decision Hethrington should be embarrassed but great stadium I'll give them that like you say
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 27 Mar 2022, 07:56

I like most others always enjoy spanking our big city neighbours especially when we're a small town in Wakefield. But i can't get carried away. Yes we were better but lock lane would have given them a game today. As soon as Leeds slung a few passes together our defence melted again just glad they were the worst Leeds team I think I've seen in 40 years. I really hope its a turning point and we can move up the table. And those of you talking about Leeds getting relegated?? Give your head a wobble. No way would the RFL allow that to happen. If they were bottom come October we'd be looking at a 14 team super league next year.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Mar 2022, 08:17

I think your doing Cas a discredit we were very good that first half they would have come out new coach looking to put us in our place but we got on top and like I say played well ...I thought so anyway in that first half
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 27 Mar 2022, 08:31

Every bloke in a Cas shirt yesterday take a bow. Played like a team and some good performances from certain individuals like Greg Eden who is taking his opposites on the outside and even showing a hand-off and getting away. As for the attendance, it just shows how fickle our big city neighbours are, even with good ticket prices. Hopefully get on a roll now. COYF 🐯

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 27 Mar 2022, 09:15

That wasn’t just a win, it was an annihilation. Agreed that the Rhinos were poor, but surely this is the Cas we were promised pre-season. Keep up the improved discipline and I can see Cas handing out a few more thrashings this year. At last we have pace throughout the team and the only reason that we conceded 3 tries was giving Westerman and McShane a well-earned rest in the second half.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Mar 2022, 09:31

Ken Smith wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 09:15 That wasn’t just a win, it was an annihilation. Agreed that the Rhinos were poor, but surely this is the Cas we were promised pre-season. Keep up the improved discipline and I can see Cas handing out a few more thrashings this year. At last we have pace throughout the team and the only reason that we conceded 3 tries was giving Westerman and McShane a well-earned rest in the second half.
I totally agree with you Ken. I also agree with Derby about Leeds being protected from relegation, but not about our defence melting.We were naive letting Martin get away with his party trick a second time based on bulk against small defenders but other than that, which only happened because we put the cues on the rack a little too early , we were sound.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 27 Mar 2022, 09:32

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 07:56 I like most others always enjoy spanking our big city neighbours especially when we're a small town in Wakefield. But i can't get carried away. Yes we were better but lock lane would have given them a game today. As soon as Leeds slung a few passes together our defence melted again just glad they were the worst Leeds team I think I've seen in 40 years. I really hope its a turning point and we can move up the table. And those of you talking about Leeds getting relegated?? Give your head a wobble. No way would the RFL allow that to happen. If they were bottom come October we'd be looking at a 14 team super league next year.
Yes attacking wise much better. Seems Trueman was easing his way back from the operation and is finally getting somewhere near. Evalds looked good. Watts back to form.
But as you say defensively when we were put under pressure close to the line we still look vulnerable. GOB got done twice with the flat ball to Martin. Still feel we are short of a top class half.
Mamo looks so weak in contact. Worries me a lot. The right edge when sliding across does not seem like they know what they are doing.

No doubt still a great win and I absolutely loved it. I reckon last time we beat Leeds in a knock out game (definitely at Headingley) must have been 1999. We can't have beaten them many times at all in knock out comps tbh.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 27 Mar 2022, 09:39

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 03:59
SuffolkTiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 00:22 The draw for the quarters has also been kind to us.

Would snap your hand off for HKR home or away above playing Saints or Catalans anywhere. Wigan or Wire at home may have been interesting. But I'll take HKR without a second thought. Will be tough and am certainly not taking it for granted. Both teams will fancy it.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 27 Mar 2022, 10:02

Dennis Vazquez wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 09:32
Derbyshiretiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 07:56 I like most others always enjoy spanking our big city neighbours especially when we're a small town in Wakefield. But i can't get carried away. Yes we were better but lock lane would have given them a game today. As soon as Leeds slung a few passes together our defence melted again just glad they were the worst Leeds team I think I've seen in 40 years. I really hope its a turning point and we can move up the table. And those of you talking about Leeds getting relegated?? Give your head a wobble. No way would the RFL allow that to happen. If they were bottom come October we'd be looking at a 14 team super league next year.
Yes attacking wise much better. Seems Trueman was easing his way back from the operation and is finally getting somewhere near. Evalds looked good. Watts back to form.
But as you say defensively when we were put under pressure close to the line we still look vulnerable. GOB got done twice with the flat ball to Martin. Still feel we are short of a top class half.
Mamo looks so weak in contact. Worries me a lot. The right edge when sliding across does not seem like they know what they are doing.

No doubt still a great win and I absolutely loved it. I reckon last time we beat Leeds in a knock out game (definitely at Headingley) must have been 1999. We can't have beaten them many times at all in knock out comps tbh.
A really good performance but I agree our RHS defence is still a big worry.
Mamo in particular is shocking. He is far too weak in contact - that’s if he makes contact because he’s too busy doing his headless chicken impersonation.
He just doesn’t seem to be able to maintain the defensive line. I’ve watched the Rhinos tries again and if it wasn’t such a worry it would be comical.
GOB will always be picked out by the opposition as a weak tackler.

I’m really not sure what Radford can do, as we don’t have anybody to replace these 2 but I’m certain we will ship tries where they are defending and it will not have escaped the attention of HKR and others.
If a very poor Rhinos side can exploit it just imagine what teams like Sts and Catalans will do!!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Mar 2022, 10:16

GOB always puts his body on the line in defence but his size means that he will always be vulnerable to the Martins of this world near the line. After the first Martin try it was obvious that second one was coming. No one was quick enough to spot it. O’Brien was never going to hold him without help

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 27 Mar 2022, 10:17

there is a centre at Leigh that people are raving about let Feki go and bring him in it stands out like a sore thumb we need a couple of centres

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Mar 2022, 10:18

Dennis Vazquez wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 09:39
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 03:59

Would snap your hand off for HKR home or away above playing Saints or Catalans anywhere. Wigan or Wire at home may have been interesting. But I'll take HKR without a second thought. Will be tough and am certainly not taking it for granted. Both teams will fancy it.
Don’t necessarily disagree with any of that , but it doesn’t change what I said, it’s not been a happy hunting ground for us.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Mar 2022, 10:23

orrsome wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 10:02

Mamo in particular is shocking. He is far too weak in contact - that’s if he makes contact because he’s too busy doing his headless chicken impersonation.
He just doesn’t seem to be able to maintain the defensive line. I’ve watched the Rhinos tries again and if it wasn’t such a worry it would be comical.

I’m really not sure what Radford can do, as we don’t have anybody to replace these 2 but I’m certain we will ship tries where they are defending and it will not have escaped the attention of HKR and others.
If a very poor Rhinos side can exploit it just imagine what teams like Sts and Catalans will do!!
The trade between speed and size in the three quarters is always an issue. Top Aussies have both which is why the Mamos (because of size) and Faraimos( because of speed) of this world come to the U.K.

tykeneil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tykeneil » 27 Mar 2022, 10:32

Now hopefully strong competition for places (Olpherts/Matagi/Sutcliffe missed out)
Only doubt looked Dan Smith injury

PS think Leeds have St Helens at home Friday

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 27 Mar 2022, 10:37

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 10:23
orrsome wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 10:02

The trade between speed and size in the three quarters is always an issue. Top Aussies have both which is why the Mamos (because of size) and Faraimos( because of speed) of this world come to the U.K.
Dont think people getting carried away think any team in super league would done that to rhinos the ten minute sin bin was swing for game would have only being 16 10 to cas with rhinos two walk in trys straight after half time but we deserved some luck we sin bins after last week . Think at minute rhinos half backs are that bad they would swap us . All focus must be on a must win game friday . If we go deeper into last stages off cup cant afford to rest players and virtually throw gsmes this year thats for sure.