Sky coverage

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sky coverage

Post by Dazzyb » 26 Feb 2022, 09:42

Given the choice, would you have in front of the mics?

I’d get shut off Terry and Baz. Eddie snd stevo they will never be.
Phil Clarke can go back to joe 90 or thunderbirds.
I’d keep carney and Jenna only.

I’d go with
Martin offiah a big personality, articulate and known by all.
Robbie or Henry Paul - both articulate and naturals in front of the camera .
Anyone remember tulson Tollett. Heard him commentating recently on some obscure sport. Remember him hosting games against Australia many years back, again another natural in front of the camera .

We have too many buffoons. The latest recruitment sound likes he talking with a gob full of marbles lol

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: Sky coverage

Post by the machine » 26 Feb 2022, 10:40

I said years ago they should have just thrown a blank cheque at Vossy
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 26 Feb 2022, 10:42

Cant stand any of them that includes That aussie bird and Jon wells who hates Cas now.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 26 Feb 2022, 10:48

the machine wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:40 I said years ago they should have just thrown a blank cheque at Vossy
It was a great call. Vossy is knowledgeable and positive. We rarely hear Aussie commentators take the negative unless it's justified. A try is seen for the good work done and not what the defence did wrong.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 26 Feb 2022, 10:52

mart0042 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:48
the machine wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:40 I said years ago they should have just thrown a blank cheque at Vossy
It was a great call. Vossy is knowledgeable and positive. We rarely hear Aussie commentators take the negative unless it's justified. A try is seen for the good work done and not what the defence did wrong.
Our lot are just dreary and dreadful

Atleast the aussies try and stick to talking about what's happening infront of them and speak with passion about it
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 26 Feb 2022, 10:58

I hate the overfamiliarity they use, especially Terry and Barrie Mac. Jon Wilkin and Jon Wells are both boring. Bill Arthur continually gets players names wrong and JJB sounds like he speaks with a mouth full of marbles.

Then, calling the ball a “pill” and such like just boils my pee

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 26 Feb 2022, 11:04

Fumper27 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:58 I hate the overfamiliarity they use, especially Terry and Barrie Mac. Jon Wilkin and Jon Wells are both boring. Bill Arthur continually gets players names wrong and JJB sounds like he speaks with a mouth full of marbles.

Tbf to JJB he said last night that it sounds like he's got a mouth full of car keys haha

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Feb 2022, 11:10

I'd keep Carney and Jenna Brooks the rest of them are a embarresment or boring or both especially Wells
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

MerchantNavy70

Post by MerchantNavy70 » 26 Feb 2022, 12:05

I watched the Channel 4 matches from my Hospital ward so obviously no sound and I found I really enjoyed it and now when I get my Sky Sports pass I watch with sound muted and don't miss the commentary at all.
I know the rules I know the players and I can see what's happening on the pitch so why do I need commentators waffle.

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 26 Feb 2022, 12:06

Think JJB has heard some comments because he said he had an operation over winter where basically he had his jaw cut in 2 and wired back together that's why he sounds like he's got his car keys in his mouth

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Feb 2022, 10:48

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:06 Think JJB has heard some comments because he said he had an operation over winter where basically he had his jaw cut in 2 and wired back together that's why he sounds like he's got his car keys in his mouth
And yet they give him the job. You wouldn't employ a blind person to commentate on golf.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 01 Mar 2022, 08:50

I used to watch every Super League match on Sky. I’ve completely lost interest in the sport now including Cas. Can’t wait for the Speedway Grand Prix to start now.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 01 Mar 2022, 10:16

Fumper27 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:58 I hate the overfamiliarity they use, especially Terry and Barrie Mac. Jon Wilkin and Jon Wells are both boring. Bill Arthur continually gets players names wrong and JJB sounds like he speaks with a mouth full of marbles.

Agree with all that. I’ve met Baz & Tez & they are both top blokes but their style brings a whiff of the old Saturday afternoon wrestling to the coverage.

Many of the people I’ve worked with in the south east over the years have watched SKY’s coverage after me banging on about the game. The overall opinion is that it’s unprofessional, insular, inward looking & conjours up thoughts of a day coach trip to Blackpool. Northerners only type stuff.

It needs a revamp as it holds back the game’s development & expansion. The constant pleading to be taken seriously as a sport is excruciating.

Brian Carney needs to stop shouting at the top of the show. Does my swede in and doesn’t hide the fact that the programme format is tired.

I’ve also never understood why there are so many co commentators/pundits to cover a game.

Other than all that, it’s excellent.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 01 Mar 2022, 10:44

Interesting reference to Hearn and Rugby League link which has been touted before on his no passion no point podcast.
He initially referred to the game as sleeping, then corrected his view to already dying.

I have lived away from Yorkshire for a long time until last May and I can honestly say I have barely seen any interest outside of people born in to an RL area or family. There does need to be some change to freshen up interest, that may come from Adam Hills, C4 indirectly, on the basis the Paralympics barely got any coverage until C4 got on it.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 01 Mar 2022, 11:36

I agree they are very boring bit arsh having go JJB speak problems like maybe you should tell him to his face instead slag him off behind the keyboard .I slag player off because my opinion there not good enough or not performing not getting personil . Maybe is speech is a medical problem you thought about that. Maybe intruduce him to you when were on sky at home next .

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 01 Mar 2022, 11:41

Blackbulltiger wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 11:36

I agree they are very boring bit arsh having go JJB speak problems like maybe you should tell him to his face instead slag him off behind the keyboard .I slag player off because my opinion there not good enough or not performing not getting personil . Maybe is speech is a medical problem you thought about that. Maybe intruduce him to you when were on sky at home next .
I actually know JJB very well, having come up through the age groups with him at District and County level.

I never put anything on here that I wouldn’t say to someone’s face. JJB has come out and explained why his speech is impaired, even laughing about it himself.

interesting that you believe slagging a player off for their performances or skill levels isn’t personal???

Still waiting for you to share your Castleford Tigers heritage number…..

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 01 Mar 2022, 11:54

Fumper27 wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 11:41

I actually know JJB very well, having come up through the age groups with him at District and County level.

I never put anything on here that I wouldn’t say to someone’s face. JJB has come out and explained why his speech is impaired, even laughing about it himself.

interesting that you believe slagging a player off for their performances or skill levels isn’t personal???

Ye course you do if you slag a freind off or somebody you say you no well on a media platform what kind off person that make you .if you now why he as speech problem what was point fetching it up .

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 01 Mar 2022, 11:58

Blackbulltiger wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 11:54

Ye course you do if you slag a freind off or somebody you say you no well on a media platform what kind off person that make you .if you now why he as speech problem what was point fetching it up .
Didn’t say I knew why he had a speech problem, I said JJB came out and explained why his speech was affected. I also posted that before JJB said why his speech was impaired. Makes sense as he was always quite an eloquent speaker when younger.

Heritage number? Or is that the first thing you have got wrong?

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 01 Mar 2022, 12:16

Fumper27 wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 11:58
Blackbulltiger wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 11:54

Didn’t say I knew why he had a speech problem, I said JJB came out and explained why his speech was affected. I also posted that before JJB said why his speech was impaired. Makes sense as he was always quite an eloquent speaker when younger.

Heritage number? Or is that the first thing you have got

You not explained why slag the bloke off on media platform mouth full off marbles want it typical keyboard warrior you should think before you message sometimes

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 01 Mar 2022, 12:24

You say I slagged him off, I gave an opinion. Just like you do about players performances and abilities. Is there a difference? Actually, there is, I’d say that to their faces whereas you’ve waddle for the hills if face to face with the players you’ve hammered on here.

The embarrassing part is that you’re one of them, what with you having a heritage number and all.