[Match Discussion] Salford game.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: [Match Discussion] Salford game.

Post by baldtiger » 13 Feb 2022, 12:03

68 Tiger . Said it all !
A major issue is our line all bunched in middle, too flat no one running in from deeper and no one running different lines .
For me that said it all in attack . We looked like an amateur team at times, I cant blame half backs too much when the choice of passes is so limited short pass was a suicide pass long passes were risking lost ball . No variety in kicks I can only assume high and short was the order of the day ? I fully expected 2nd half to be totally different tactic but no same same. I can honestly say in the 2nd half I was starting to lose interest , I don't mind losing to a better team as long as we gave it a good go and play good to watch rugby . Friday night had neither . Roll on a week or 2 hopefully a vast improvement just a shame 10000 fans came away disappointed .

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 13 Feb 2022, 12:37

By the way, has Fonua lost too much weight ???? He appeared a shadow of himself and speaking on the same type of subject, has Faraimo lost his punch which I thought he had last season ???

Questions arise here as to why they came to Cas - was it Radford had utmost faith in them with their abilities from seasons past or was it a question of Hull knowing they were past their sell by date ???

Either way, the jury is out until a few games have passed to make a considered opinion but nice to know if other people are thinking the same !

Sneyd's kicking was the difference and their wasn't a lot between the teams in open play but then you have to consider the standard compared to Saints/Wigan just now (and dare I say it - Leeds with 12 men !). I see Cas have a long way to go to be competing at top 4 level (and that's me that was predicting a top 4 before season start !!!).

Year of the Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Year of the Tiger » 13 Feb 2022, 14:09

CasRus wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 12:37 By the way, has Fonua lost too much weight ???? He appeared a shadow of himself and speaking on the same type of subject, has Faraimo lost his punch which I thought he had last season ???

Questions arise here as to why they came to Cas - was it Radford had utmost faith in them with their abilities from seasons past or was it a question of Hull knowing they were past their sell by date ???

Either way, the jury is out until a few games have passed to make a considered opinion but nice to know if other people are thinking the same !

Sneyd's kicking was the difference and their wasn't a lot between the teams in open play but then you have to consider the standard compared to Saints/Wigan just now (and dare I say it - Leeds with 12 men !). I see Cas have a long way to go to be competing at top 4 level (and that's me that was predicting a top 4 before season start !!!).
Not a good night all way round.
Firstly my better half seat had been sold to someone else, despite us having the same seats for years.
Queued 20 minutes for a half time beer, gave up in the end. Glad I didn't get served when I found out how much.
Great to see a 10k plus crowd, although the atmosphere was muted to say the least.

Onto the game, like most I was expecting so much more. It wasn't the defeat, more the manner of it.
With a virtually full strength side out and Radford having nearly 12 months and a full off season to prepare we looked miles away from where we should be.
Salford seemed far more interested and were definitely better organised.
This should have been a relatively easy win against what could be considered a bottom 4 side.
Our forwards on paper should have set the platform for the backs to control the game. This never happened, the big question is do we have half backs to complete at the highest level?
Back to the drawing board I'm afraid, but after Fridays performance it's not an easy fix.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 13 Feb 2022, 14:54

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 10:32 The commentators on Radio Leeds also said that Burgess was a mile offside in the move leading to the first try?
Also, Macca was adamant their player was in touch for the second

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 13 Feb 2022, 15:09

Fumper27 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 14:54
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 10:32 The commentators on Radio Leeds also said that Burgess was a mile offside in the move leading to the first try?
Also, Macca was adamant their player was in touch for the second
I've also been told the pass for the try off kick off was forward though I didn't get to see it myself as I was in the bogs. Personally thought the ref was shocking and linesman didn't seem to care if Salford got back 10 for the play of the ball. No excuse tho, we were poor and didn't deserve the win at all. Big improvements need to be made if we're gonna have any success this season, but that's for Lee to do now he's gotten to see his men play a super league team and be tested

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 13 Feb 2022, 15:19

Did anyone expect anything else from the Ref?
He hates Cas 8 games with him in charge no wins.
Rhinos season ticket holder bet he was having a right laugh yesterday about it.

Year of the Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Year of the Tiger » 13 Feb 2022, 15:47

Mucky1978 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 15:19 Did anyone expect anything else from the Ref?
Give over, how anyone can blame the officials for Frdays performance is beyond me. It is the Cas players who need to look at their performance. It wasn't the officials who missed tackles, were out of position in defence, dropped the ball, were poor with ball in hand.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 13 Feb 2022, 16:05

But it was the officials who missed a foot on the touch line for their first try and a forward pass from Burgess to Sneyd for their third. Saying that, we did not deserve to win
Last edited by Fumper27 on 13 Feb 2022, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 13 Feb 2022, 16:22

There first try there player past it into westermen and it went straight back into there hands and they scored.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 13 Feb 2022, 16:34

pat wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 16:22 There first try there player past it into westermen and it went straight back into there hands and they scored.
Correct, but only after the ball went through about three pairs of hands after the ball hit Westerman.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 13 Feb 2022, 18:03

Ref was dire and they got some luck which I will take over skill any day of the week. Reckon we will do Wire on Thitsday. Powell at Cas was a looser to Hull fc more times than a winner. Don't see that changing between the coaches on Thurday night.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 13 Feb 2022, 19:07

westerbeast73 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 18:03 Ref was dire and they got some luck which I will take over skill any day of the week. Reckon we will do Wire on Thitsday. Powell at Cas was a looser to Hull fc more times than a winner. Don't see that changing between the coaches on Thurday
Ye they looked shocking against leeds we will smash them hope we start we griffin and smith again get us on a front foot best two props in super league 🙄🙄

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 13 Feb 2022, 19:46

Let's see who has the bragging rights next Thursday 🙃

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Feb 2022, 14:29

Mucky1978 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 15:19 Did anyone expect anything else from the Ref?
Tom Grant has referred Cas 4 times, not 8. One of those games was at home to Salford, when we conceded the game by playing the kids.
Three competitive game and to be honest we didn’t deserve to win against Salford this season or Huddersfield last season.
The only dubious one was the game against Leeds when he sent Ollie Holmes off.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 14 Feb 2022, 15:10

I've not read all the doom and gloom from the Friday's result but we should never rely on the Ref. Over a season it is a case of swings and roundabouts.

However, I now believe the players believed in the hype. The new era, new coach, new players and fans expectations. They simply believed all they had to do to win was simply turn up.

Hopefully they were taught a lesson that has sunk in.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 14 Feb 2022, 15:50

Let’s hope so or it is going to be a long season.

DebH
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by DebH » 14 Feb 2022, 16:01

We have to be patient. Going back to 2020 season when Wolfe took over saints they lost 4 of their opening games inc to us at Wheldon Lane when Richardson got MotM. I was sat next to some Saints fans then who were in a similar mood to us and look how they finished that season - and 2021. I was gutted after watching Friday but let’s give them a chance. Olpherts interviewed after the game was so downbeat and he’s usually the cheerleaders so we all know the lads are hurting more than us.