Featherstone

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Featherstone

Post by Sharlotiger » 08 Feb 2022, 13:50

Great to see Rovers going well, maybe next year we will have our real derby back.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Feb 2022, 14:18

I would never go to the Featherstone ground again... I'd be 50-50 to go down lane when we played them

Agree with the comments about Moors outstanding last night
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 09 Feb 2022, 10:43

SuffolkTiger wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 12:35
mart0042 wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 10:52
orrsome wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 07:55
SuffolkTiger wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 22:38 FR beat Leigh 28-6 to really set the pace in the Championship……
The pitch was atrocious and Leigh did not adapt to it at all.
On a decent surface I reckon Fev could have been done for speed especially outwide but the conditions determined that it was a battle of attrition up the middle and Leigh were 2nd best in the slog, making more mistakes than Fev

Having said that, Jr Moors looked a class above any other forward on the field and Craig Hall is still a class act, and a good goal kicker too.
First match of the season at home and they produce a cabbage patch of a pitch. They'll be watering it in the summer to keep it like that. A heavy pitch and the slope is what will get them to the million pound game.

But they have signed well and look the best I've seen so far. Leigh v Fev in the million pound match on a dry day on a flat pitch will be such a leveler. If Fev play at home in that match, they've got it locked in.

Watching the match, Moors was outstanding, he's not been fit enough to play that amount of minutes for Cas since his second season with us. Bussey also very good.

Fev were able to change their team to be the appropriate one to beat Leigh in those conditions. Leigh played their only fit players. A big squad makes a real difference.
10 minutes of highlights here https://youtu.be/I6GaPhzIhMM

I was a huge fan of Junior when he was with us - if he stays fit he will be a revalation in the Championship.

Always enjoy the endeavour of Jon Davies
Jon always gives it all, very underrated.

Anglo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Anglo » 09 Feb 2022, 15:06

A couple of misconceptions in this thread! (yes I'm a Fev fan).

Fev's funding doesn't really come from crowds, though the club has a record 1,750 season tickets despite adult season tickets being priced at £240. It's the sponsorship, in particular, plus other off-field activities at the ground which rake in most of the money, by all accounts the amount of revenue from sponsorship is pretty big.

Fev really didn't want a muddy pitch any more than Leigh did, four of our five tries came from expansive pieces of play involving multiple players, we'll have Junior (who as several have noted had his best game for us so far) and Jesse when he's fit again playing out wide along with Leilua, Hall and Briscoe and most Championship teams will find that hard to handle.

I'll be surprised if Fev and Leigh don't finish up some way clear of the remainder in the Championship, I think if Leigh overtake us it's more likely to be down to Beaumont opening his cheque book some more rather than a drier track.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 09 Feb 2022, 15:42

Anglo wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 15:06 A couple of misconceptions in this thread! (yes I'm a Fev fan).

Fev's funding doesn't really come from crowds, though the club has a record 1,750 season tickets despite adult season tickets being priced at £240. It's the sponsorship, in particular, plus other off-field activities at the ground which rake in most of the money, by all accounts the amount of revenue from sponsorship is pretty big.

Fev really didn't want a muddy pitch any more than Leigh did, four of our five tries came from expansive pieces of play involving multiple players, we'll have Junior (who as several have noted had his best game for us so far) and Jesse when he's fit again playing out wide along with Leilua, Hall and Briscoe and most Championship teams will find that hard to handle.

I'll be surprised if Fev and Leigh don't finish up some way clear of the remainder in the Championship, I think if Leigh overtake us it's more likely to be down to Beaumont opening his cheque book some more rather than a drier track.
Nah then,

Whilst my username doesn't denote who I support, it is a reflection of where I live.

I'm not sure there were misconceptions about the pitch as it was definitely in a poor condition but in particular, my points about the number of games played on it. Those are a clear choice of the club and possibly tie into the revenue aspect.

I know your groundsman has and is making extensive efforts to improve the playing service but Leeds have proved time and time again that over-use will never do it any favours.

Anglo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Anglo » 09 Feb 2022, 20:47

FIat Capper wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 15:42

Nah then,

Whilst my username doesn't denote who I support, it is a reflection of where I live.

I'm not sure there were misconceptions about the pitch as it was definitely in a poor condition but in particular, my points about the number of games played on it. Those are a clear choice of the club and possibly tie into the revenue aspect.

I know your groundsman has and is making extensive efforts to improve the playing service but Leeds have proved time and time again that over-use will never do it any favours.
The misconceptions I was referring to were the ones suggesting Fev wanted (and would continue to want)a muddy surface, far from it.

Yes, the pitch was very muddy on Monday. That would have been exacerbated by Wakefield FC's game a couple of days earlier but if you live in Fev you'll know it absolutely lashed it down for quite a while before Monday's game (to the extent that the pre-game interviews with coaches/players on premier were conducted indoors as you wouldn't have put your dog out in that weather). The same thing happened across several Championship grounds the day before (eg The Shay and Odsal) and they ended up in similar condition.

Yes we host a lot of games on the pitch including Barla youth finals recently and yes short term they do mean that if you get a rainy day when Fev play a day or two after they will cut up a bit more, but it's February and I think that's an occupational hazard at any ground at this time of year. The pitch generally is much improved these days compared with a few years ago and once the weather dries up it will look great.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 09 Feb 2022, 22:17

Anglo wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 20:47
FIat Capper wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 15:42

Nah then,

The misconceptions I was referring to were the ones suggesting Fev wanted (and would continue to want)a muddy surface, far from it.

Yes, the pitch was very muddy on Monday. That would have been exacerbated by Wakefield FC's game a couple of days earlier but if you live in Fev you'll know it absolutely lashed it down for quite a while before Monday's game (to the extent that the pre-game interviews with coaches/players on premier were conducted indoors as you wouldn't have put your dog out in that weather). The same thing happened across several Championship grounds the day before (eg The Shay and Odsal) and they ended up in similar condition.

Yes we host a lot of games on the pitch including Barla youth finals recently and yes short term they do mean that if you get a rainy day when Fev play a day or two after they will cut up a bit more, but it's February and I think that's an occupational hazard at any ground at this time of year. The pitch generally is much improved these days compared with a few years ago and once the weather dries up it will look great.
halifax town fc are upset that their game at the shay was cancelled on saturday due to the state of the pitch but halifax panthers were allowed to play on it next day making it even worse.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 10 Feb 2022, 12:34

Anglo wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 20:47 The misconceptions I was referring to were the ones suggesting Fev wanted (and would continue to want)a muddy surface, far from it.

All I'm saying is, you cannot control the weather but you can control the number of games played.

A few years ago Cas were (IMO) forced to play a game on a waterlogged pitch and it did result in a poor surface that cut up but didn't become a mud bath. Furthermore, because it was allowed to rest and recover before the next game played on it, the pitch was once again in its award winning, pristine condition following hard work by the groundsman.

As I said, I know the current groundsman at Fev is trying hard but he needs the club to understand it takes more than fertiliser, cutting and watering to keep it in a condition that doesn't attract criticism.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Feb 2022, 13:18

I remember cas playing in a swimming pool v Warrington 🏊‍♂️

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Feb 2022, 16:47

old cas lass wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 13:18 I remember cas playing in a swimming pool v Warrington 🏊‍♂️
Anyone remember a game against Oldham (maybe) when it rained so hard the main stand touchline went under water for about 5 meters onto the pitch and the changing rooms were flooded. The walk home was through about 3” of water flooding Wheldon Road.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Feb 2022, 17:02

cogito ergo sum wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 16:47
old cas lass wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 13:18 I remember cas playing in a swimming pool v Warrington 🏊‍♂️
Anyone remember a game against Oldham (maybe) when it rained so hard the main stand touchline went under water for about 5 meters onto the pitch and the changing rooms were flooded. The walk home was through about 3” of water flooding Wheldon Road.
Think it was Sheffield eagles.
I remember it well.

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 10 Feb 2022, 22:26

old cas lass wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 17:02
I remember it well.
It was definitely Sheffield Eagles, I remember talking to Martin Wood as both teams were carrying their bags to the gym to get changed as the changing rooms were flooded. It was the time when the 'Klinsmann dive' was a popular celebration and a few players decided to partake with a belly splash through the massive puddle in front of the main stand.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 10 Feb 2022, 23:55

Captain wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 22:26
old cas lass wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 17:02
I remember it well.
It was definitely Sheffield Eagles, I remember talking to Martin Wood as both teams were carrying their bags to the gym to get changed as the changing rooms were flooded. It was the time when the 'Klinsmann dive' was a popular celebration and a few players decided to partake with a belly splash through the massive puddle in front of the main stand.
Was it the last game of the season if so I think Gareth Dobson had a stormer. And we all went on the pitch after the game?

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 11 Feb 2022, 00:26

Is that game against Sheffield we needed to win to avoid relegation? And I think the players chucked Raper in said water all suited and booted

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 22 Feb 2022, 00:03

Widnes certainly making a go of it early doors in the Championship that many thought would be dominated by Leigh & FR.

Some juicy ties in the cup at the weekend involving the sides in the 2nd tier.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Feb 2022, 15:50

SuffolkTiger wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 00:03 Widnes certainly making a go of it early doors in the Championship that many thought would be dominated by Leigh & FR.

I enjoy watching the Monday night championship matches more than I do super league
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 22 Feb 2022, 16:17

tigerfeat wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 15:50
SuffolkTiger wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 00:03 Widnes certainly making a go of it early doors in the Championship that many thought would be dominated by Leigh & FR.

I enjoy watching the Monday night championship matches more than I do super league
You’re not the first person that I’ve heard say that recently.

It looks like the early fixtures have been loaded with games involving sides who are likely to finish in the top 4. This is providing cracking fixtures for TV.

I’ve got SKY & BT and didn’t want to fork out more dosh for Premier but I’m weakening……. 😃

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 07 Mar 2022, 23:25

Terrific win for Barrow @ Widnes this evening.

Leaves FR clear out front & the only unbeaten side.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 08 Mar 2022, 00:10

SuffolkTiger wrote: 07 Mar 2022, 23:25 Terrific win for Barrow @ Widnes this evening.

Leaves FR clear out front & the only unbeaten side.
Correction: Barrow also unbeaten but played a game less.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 08 Mar 2022, 12:12

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 00:26 Is that game against Sheffield we needed to win to avoid relegation? And I think the players chucked Raper in said water all suited and booted
Sure we were already safe by then due to Oldham losing in Paris in midweek