Featherstone

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Featherstone

Post by heritage1926 » 26 Jan 2022, 16:05

All or nothing for Fev this year. Although, Leigh aren't far off spend wise and are still looking to recruit. Beaumont v Campbell, who wins!!
Featherstone Rovers have announced that Ryley Jacks, Adam Cuthbertson and Ben Mathiou have all signed deals with the club ahead of the new Rugby League Championship season. This triumvirate of new arrivals takes Featherstone past the £1,000,000 salary cap spend for the season.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Featherstone

Post by FIat Capper » 26 Jan 2022, 17:30

These signings won't be cheap and whilst I'm no expert on the Championship cap, Fev must be close to breaking it?

Knockersbuses

Post by Knockersbuses » 26 Jan 2022, 19:09

FIat Capper wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 17:30 These signings won't be cheap and whilst I'm no expert on the Championship cap, Fev must be close to breaking it?
Apparently they are in negotiations with Wigan for a deal on Zak Hardaker. Chairman admitted talks are ongoing but Zak would prefer a top flight club.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 26 Jan 2022, 19:27

Knockersbuses wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 19:09
FIat Capper wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 17:30 These signings won't be cheap and whilst I'm no expert on the Championship cap, Fev must be close to breaking it?
Apparently they are in negotiations with Wigan for a deal on Zak Hardaker. Chairman admitted talks are ongoing but Zak would prefer a top flight club.
That's only if they get promoted. By all accounts there is a deal in place if they do.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 26 Jan 2022, 22:15

Fev have certainly gone all in this year. Hope the gamble pays off for them and they get promoted. They have the squad, the coach and seemingly the infrastructure to make a better go at Super League than I believe Toulouse will this year. The Frenchies look woefully short on quality and will really struggle. Playing wise I don’t see anyone near to Fev. If they can eradicate the nasty element of fans they have, and keep the chairman away from press conferences, destination super league could finally be on for them.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 26 Jan 2022, 23:29

heritage1926 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 19:27
That's only if they get promoted. By all accounts there is a deal in place if they do.
Hardaker is out-of-contract at the end of this year, so they wouldn’t need to negotiate with Wigan to sign him for 2023 (though they can’t offer a deal until May).
If he still wants to move back to West Yorkshire, he might need to sign for Fev as I can’t see many other clubs being interested,

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 Jan 2022, 10:49

They have also said they looked into signing Josh Duggan, do Maher of it what you want.

They have a lot of Aussies that won't be cheap, over 1m cap spent and after recieving 2m from the council for ground upgrades. If they can afford those wages on their crowd, can't wait to see what the ground will become.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 27 Jan 2022, 15:32

nottinghamtiger wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 23:29
Hardaker is out-of-contract at the end of this year, so they wouldn’t need to negotiate with Wigan to sign him for 2023 (though they can’t offer a deal until May).
If he still wants to move back to West Yorkshire, he might need to sign for Fev as I can’t see many other clubs being interested,
Not with Wigan, with Zak himself. He will only go if they get in to Super League, he won't drop down.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 27 Jan 2022, 22:01

heritage1926 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 15:32
Not with Wigan, with Zak himself. He will only go if they get in to Super League, he won't drop down.
I suspect ZH will be signed somewhere for 2023 before Fev know which league they will be playing in; he won’t not sign anywhere else on the off-chance Fev get promoted and potentially leave himself without a club and in a very weak negotiating position.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 28 Jan 2022, 10:47

nottinghamtiger wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 22:01

I suspect ZH will be signed somewhere for 2023 before Fev know which league they will be playing in; he won’t not sign anywhere else on the off-chance Fev get promoted and potentially leave himself without a club and in a very weak negotiating position.
Plus what is a one year contract worth? He'll want bigger than that and the chances are they wont make it beyond the one year in super League.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 28 Jan 2022, 10:54

mart0042 wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:47
nottinghamtiger wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 22:01
chances are they wont make it beyond the one year in super League.
If Toulouse went down this year and Fev came up, I would back them to finish above Wakefield in 2023.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 28 Jan 2022, 11:05

If Cas aren't involved it wouldn't matter to me. I'd would like us to be the only club in the area. We could grow even bigger.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 28 Jan 2022, 12:55

Wonder if Fev are trying to position themselves ready to take over from Toulouse if they struggle or have to pull out of the league too. Feels like they've been on the edge of promotion for so long now, can't keep throwing money in to it and missing out every year.

That said I'd happily leave them there, less we have to play them the better.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 29 Jan 2022, 13:45

Matt wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:55 Wonder if Fev are trying to position themselves ready to take over from Toulouse if they struggle or have to pull out of the league too. Feels like they've been on the edge of promotion for so long now, can't keep throwing money in to it and missing out every year.

That said I'd happily leave them there, less we have to play them the better.
You might be right but I think Leigh would be better placed, having been there before.

And yes.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 07 Feb 2022, 22:38

FR beat Leigh 28-6 to really set the pace in the Championship……

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 08 Feb 2022, 00:47

i wouldn't rule widnes out of the race just yet. 2 good results so far and the highest attendance in the championship if they need to strengthen.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 08 Feb 2022, 07:55

SuffolkTiger wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 22:38 FR beat Leigh 28-6 to really set the pace in the Championship……
The pitch was atrocious and Leigh did not adapt to it at all.
On a decent surface I reckon Fev could have been done for speed especially outwide but the conditions determined that it was a battle of attrition up the middle and Leigh were 2nd best in the slog, making more mistakes than Fev

Having said that, Jr Moors looked a class above any other forward on the field and Craig Hall is still a class act, and a good goal kicker too.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 08 Feb 2022, 10:52

orrsome wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 07:55
SuffolkTiger wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 22:38 FR beat Leigh 28-6 to really set the pace in the Championship……
On a decent surface I reckon Fev could have been done for speed especially outwide but the conditions determined that it was a battle of attrition up the middle and Leigh were 2nd best in the slog, making more mistakes than Fev

Having said that, Jr Moors looked a class above any other forward on the field and Craig Hall is still a class act, and a good goal kicker too.
First match of the season at home and they produce a cabbage patch of a pitch. They'll be watering it in the summer to keep it like that. A heavy pitch and the slope is what will get them to the million pound game.

But they have signed well and look the best I've seen so far. Leigh v Fev in the million pound match on a dry day on a flat pitch will be such a leveler. If Fev play at home in that match, they've got it locked in.

Watching the match, Moors was outstanding, he's not been fit enough to play that amount of minutes for Cas since his second season with us. Bussey also very good.

Fev were able to change their team to be the appropriate one to beat Leigh in those conditions. Leigh played their only fit players. A big squad makes a real difference.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 08 Feb 2022, 12:35

mart0042 wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 10:52
orrsome wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 07:55

First match of the season at home and they produce a cabbage patch of a pitch. They'll be watering it in the summer to keep it like that. A heavy pitch and the slope is what will get them to the million pound game.

But they have signed well and look the best I've seen so far. Leigh v Fev in the million pound match on a dry day on a flat pitch will be such a leveler. If Fev play at home in that match, they've got it locked in.

Watching the match, Moors was outstanding, he's not been fit enough to play that amount of minutes for Cas since his second season with us. Bussey also very good.

Fev were able to change their team to be the appropriate one to beat Leigh in those conditions. Leigh played their only fit players. A big squad makes a real difference.
10 minutes of highlights here https://youtu.be/I6GaPhzIhMM

I was a huge fan of Junior when he was with us - if he stays fit he will be a revalation in the Championship.

Always enjoy the endeavour of Jon Davies

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 08 Feb 2022, 12:37

One of the biggest problems Fev will have at this time of year is the number of games played on their main pitch. As well as the Rovers first team, Wakefield FC play their home games there and they play host to many amateur RL finals/finals days when more than one game can be played over the course of a single day.

In theory, these additional games generate income but they will inevitably take a heavy toll on a poorly drained pitch.

It's a good job it's the "Wembley of the North"!