The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

Post by Stoke Bloke » 06 Dec 2021, 15:49

Wow, how long has it been? Not sure but it's years rather than months, in fact I wasn't sure the forum would still be active. Glad to see it is.

Ok, so here's the rub. With a new season approaching and a new man at the helm I have questions.

Firstly, am I the only one who is somewhat underwhelmed by the appointment of Lee? This is not meant as a bash the boss post but, I always thought that the idea in sport was progression and improvement and I see little in his resume that suggests he can advance the team from its current status.

Was this an appointment with an eye to fiscal considerations rather than playing aspirations because I'm struggling to see how this constitutes any form of advancement.
Now before I get reminded that we haven't actually won anything under the previous incumbent, you cannot deny that 2 Challenge cup finals, 1 grand Final, a league leaders shield and regular play off football represented a huge improvement under D.P.

So yes I have a few questions regarding the appointment. From Lees coaching ability through to his ability to attract good players to the club and his sometimes chaotic relationship with the media. I really hope he answers them all and takes Cas to a higher level.

Secondly, regarding the game in general. Am I happy to welcome another overseas club into Super League? Well I have mixed feelings here, obviously in the wake of the Toronto debacle its behoves both the RFL and Super League to perform due diligence before ratifying their place in the competition but that aside perhaps the opportunity for bigger international audience and the associated advertising will benefit both the competition and the game. Personally I feel it is yet another step down the road to Provincial inevitability, but that's been my pet subject for over 20 years.

Also I have to state that the free to air 10 games is in my opinion a very good thing for the game in general and may well prove instrumental in growing the game outside the Heartlands. The product as we know is brilliant, enthralling and captivating but whether it captures a whole new group of fans will depend entirely on the presentation. Please God, none of the tired old hacks trotted out by the Beeb when they present the C.C coverage. Not the studio guys like Peacock and Wilkin, they are really good at what they do. I'm talking about co commentators and summarisers. Make them relevant and current, not superannuated.

Like I said, it's been a few years. I'm still me. Battling the satanic degeneracy of the world and my own demons whilst trying not to take life too seriously, after all it's not like any of us get out alive eh!

Tab Lloyd has emerged from retirement and writes cutting edge investigative journalism on a poker forum, debunking conspiracy theories etc. His articles still polarise opinion and he remains very much a Marmite character.

Ok well a few thoughts there to be getting on with. I have others but if I post them all now then it may be years before I post again. Hurrah I hear you cry. In the meantime just put a little love out every day yeah.

Oh and one more thing.

Be Loyal, Be Loud, Be Cas

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Dec 2021, 16:26

I have been more impressed with Radford’s ability to attract players like Mamo, Edwards, Westerman, Fonua, Faraimo and Lawler than I was with Powell’s ability to attract players like Aston, Ellis, Clare, Olpherts, Crossley, Moore, Channing, Green, Egodo, etc, etc

Lee winning two more finals than DP ever did at Cas is a big tick on the box for me.

Lee had success at Hull and probably stayed there a season or two longer than he should of done so. Similar to DP and Cas in that the writing was in the wall with the calibre of signings he made after the 2017 season.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 06 Dec 2021, 16:30

Reckon Radford will do better at Cas than Powell will do at Warrington. He will be spending most of his time getting the culture right at the Wolves.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Dec 2021, 16:34

Powells time was up everybody I believe is behind Radders to take the club forward wether he will or not remains to be seen but the signings on paper have been the best for years
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

hazzy

Post by hazzy » 06 Dec 2021, 17:05

Come on Stokie, you are kidding, yes?,,,,, give the bloke a chance, judge him well in to next season, for crying out loud :x

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 06 Dec 2021, 17:14

Stoke Bloke wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 15:49 Wow, how long has it been? Not sure but it's years rather than months, in fact I wasn't sure the forum would still be active. Glad to see it is.

Ok, so here's the rub. With a new season approaching and a new man at the helm I have questions.

Firstly, am I the only one who is somewhat underwhelmed by the appointment of Lee? This is not meant as a bash the boss post but, I always thought that the idea in sport was progression and improvement and I see little in his resume that suggests he can advance the team from its current status.

Was this an appointment with an eye to fiscal considerations rather than playing aspirations because I'm struggling to see how this constitutes any form of advancement.
Now before I get reminded that we haven't actually won anything under the previous incumbent, you cannot deny that 2 Challenge cup finals, 1 grand Final, a league leaders shield and regular play off football represented a huge improvement under D.P.

So yes I have a few questions regarding the appointment. From Lees coaching ability through to his ability to attract good players to the club and his sometimes chaotic relationship with the media. I really hope he answers them all and takes Cas to a higher level.

Secondly, regarding the game in general. Am I happy to welcome another overseas club into Super League? Well I have mixed feelings here, obviously in the wake of the Toronto debacle its behoves both the RFL and Super League to perform due diligence before ratifying their place in the competition but that aside perhaps the opportunity for bigger international audience and the associated advertising will benefit both the competition and the game. Personally I feel it is yet another step down the road to Provincial inevitability, but that's been my pet subject for over 20 years.

Also I have to state that the free to air 10 games is in my opinion a very good thing for the game in general and may well prove instrumental in growing the game outside the Heartlands. The product as we know is brilliant, enthralling and captivating but whether it captures a whole new group of fans will depend entirely on the presentation. Please God, none of the tired old hacks trotted out by the Beeb when they present the C.C coverage. Not the studio guys like Peacock and Wilkin, they are really good at what they do. I'm talking about co commentators and summarisers. Make them relevant and current, not superannuated.

Like I said, it's been a few years. I'm still me. Battling the satanic degeneracy of the world and my own demons whilst trying not to take life too seriously, after all it's not like any of us get out alive eh!

Tab Lloyd has emerged from retirement and writes cutting edge investigative journalism on a poker forum, debunking conspiracy theories etc. His articles still polarise opinion and he remains very much a Marmite character.

Ok well a few thoughts there to be getting on with. I have others but if I post them all now then it may be years before I post again. Hurrah I hear you cry. In the meantime just put a little love out every day yeah.

Oh and one more thing.

Be Loyal, Be Loud, Be Cas

Stokie
ON the assumption it is still you and you've not been hacked, welcome back Stokie.

You may have missed the many debates over the appointment of Radders and there were certainly a few (me included) tat had/have doubts. However, he has to be given a chance and some of his signings look reasonable.

My main concern was the potential return to one out rugby (cheers Stevo) but there does seem to be talk of a more expansive game from the man himself.

Hopefully, you and Tab will become regular contributors once again to help fuel the minds of the rest of us, new and old.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 06 Dec 2021, 17:17

Stewart rapper was a hero at cas did not last long at Wigan though we’re is he now.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Dec 2021, 17:33

Welcome back SB.

It’s very much a time will tell us all we need to know about Lee’s impact on the squad.

It’s a cliche, but sport is about results & the first 6 games versus Salford, Wire. FC, KR, Fartown & Pies are a mixed bag and the results will give us a fair indication of what the season has in store.

I’m in the glass half full camp.

Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

Post by Stoke Bloke » 06 Dec 2021, 20:44

Cheers FC yes it really is me.

I was just airing my concerns, mainly because I remember Lee Radford as a head coach who liked a somewhat attritional style of play and am a little concerned that the nice mix of style and steel, flair and fortitude and general good rugby that has evolved at the club could regress.

I am not concerned at all about his passion and determination, that was always evident from his playing days and having re evaluated his coaching CV I may have done him a disservice,

My concern is that this appointment has to be bang on, or we risk throwing away the advances we have made.

As I have already stated this isn't a bash the gaffer thread, I'm merely putting down my own uncertainties and doubts, probably because here in sunny Stoke there is nobody to talk to and be reassured.

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Dec 2021, 23:50

i had more concern when we signed our new coach than i have now all the vibes coming from within the club are good, I can not fault his signings , the proof will be in the pudding 3 month into the start of the season

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Keithy » 07 Dec 2021, 00:35

pat wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 17:17 Stewart rapper was a hero at cas did not last long at Wigan though we’re is he now.
I recently read that Stewart has recently been touring all over America with Stormzy, Drake and Eminem.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 07 Dec 2021, 00:41

Who are they

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 07 Dec 2021, 09:38

gateman wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:50 i had more concern when we signed our new coach than i have now all the vibes coming from within the club are good, I can not fault his signings , the proof will be in the pudding 3 month into the start of the season
Can't say I was too thrilled when Radford was announced however since he joined there seems to be a bit of a buzz in the camp with the new signings and general atmosphere. For the first time since Covid became a thing I'm actually looking forward to this season and feel we're in a good position to give it a proper go.

The first few months will give us an idea but I'm hopeful we'll be pushing teams hard and up near the top of the league come the end of the season.

Powell will be forever remembered as he turned this club around however it was probably his time to call it a day and for someone else to come in, fingers crossed Radford can take us to the next level now and lift some trophies.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Dec 2021, 11:10

pat wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 17:17 Stewart rapper was a hero at cas did not last long at Wigan though we’re is he now.
I was gutted when Raper left for Wigan he was a hero for Cas ...after a time things started to go downhill fast under Steadman
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 07 Dec 2021, 11:14

Think we will play more off a structured game under lee not the expansive game Powell liked to play. This probably suit us more with are halfs not the most creative in the league. We will be all about power down middle specially in are own half for sure.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Dec 2021, 11:17

DP was on a good wage at Cas and could have stayed as long as he wanted. He was in charge and chose everything playing related and was backed financially by the board. We have a financial ceiling at the club, limited by our crowds and ability to service the sponsors and corporate. But he wanted to leave and did so. He didn't want to stay.

So who next? Wigan wanted a new coach, Leeds, for all their wealth, choose the cheap option with sinfield and now agar. The pool of coaches wasn't big to choose from and anything from the NRL was untested and not had been a head coach.

We went with Radford and I initially wasn't too sure but he's grown on me. He, like DP did, is growing a culture. He has brought in true game winners in Mamo, fonua and Edwards. They may be a real difference to our attack. DP wanted a hard working team, I feel Radford's done that but also added flair.

I'm not sure if any of the other options have the player knowledge and scouting ofRadford to have made a difference and within budget.

From the pre season, I'm seeing Edwards and fonua fitter than they have been in years. And they've got something to prove after being ejected from their teams, I like that. Lawler and Sutcliffe could have stayed where they were and been comfortable but choose a challenge. Westy wanted to return to his hometown, it always gives them an extra bit of effort.

I'm not sure we could have done much better to be fair to the club.

In relation to the state of the game, we seem to be trying everything to get in more revenue but it seems we try too hard and promote teams without really thinking about it. Toronto, great for the overseas market but in reality unfeasible. Toulouse might work but it's only really a step towards a French League.

Channel 4 can only be a good thing. Any free to air coverage is great. It also may help with options to move further away from sky who hold all the cards.
Last edited by mart0042 on 07 Dec 2021, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 07 Dec 2021, 11:20

yesterday i watched the 1993/94 regal final V Wigan John Johner had the lads fired up for that one, the brand of rugby played that day was second to none, get the lads to play like that Lee let the ball do the work the game to today first five drives making yardage is not a patch on it

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 07 Dec 2021, 12:26

I simply cannot see Radders moving away from his percentage rugby of a safety first approach too much. It may be that as we've worn teams down we then start to play a more expansive game.

I certainly feel there is room for optimism but as the cliché goes, only time will tell...

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 07 Dec 2021, 15:06

gateman wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 11:20 yesterday i watched the 1993/94 regal final V Wigan John Johner had the lads fired up for that one, the brand of rugby played that day was second to none, get the lads to play like that Lee let the ball do the work the game to today first five drives making yardage is not a patch on it
But for that brand off rugby you need good quality half's who take line on and killer pass we have none unfortunately most trys this year will come from 20yards out or crash overs in less Eden forces his self into team and we create in some space can't see many spectacular trys like four years ago.

york tiger

Post by york tiger » 07 Dec 2021, 15:46

oh no not Radford.. A leopard does not change its spots & forgive me but i don't think mr Radford has it in him to learn new tricks.five barges & kick is what he is about. Even with the wealth of talent available to him at Hull he eventually dragged them down.Yes we have new faces to look forward to but we are very poor at half back even if they are all fit.Radford may win more than he looses, but i crave entertainment(as we had in 2017)not just wins by grunt! I may as well watch york do that as they have a wonderful new kicker. Ellis!!!