Wheldon Road

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
pat
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 108
Joined: 15 Jul 2006, 16:54

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by pat » 20 Nov 2021, 14:19

Apart from the toilets what improvements would you like to see I think the main stand needs attention and the scoreboard which Hardly works and the loudspeaker system that’s not worked for years.

User avatar
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner
Posts: 19807
Joined: 26 Dec 2007, 14:29

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by old cas lass » 20 Nov 2021, 14:22

pat wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 14:19 Apart from the toilets what improvements would you like to see I think the main stand needs attention and the scoreboard which Hardly works and the loudspeaker system that’s not worked for years.
A brand new main stand the total
Length of the field would be a good start.

gateman
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 4085
Joined: 31 Mar 2016, 12:40

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2021, 14:26

the main stand needs replacing before it becomes a listed building it would not look out of place in the Beamish museum anyone know when it was put up ??

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 264
Joined: 06 Aug 2014, 10:06

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by sirocco7 » 20 Nov 2021, 14:53

pat wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 14:19 Apart from the toilets what improvements would you like to see I think the main stand needs attention and the scoreboard which Hardly works and the loudspeaker system that’s not worked for years.
New roofing on Roofing/Side Cladding on the Wheldon Road End, new toilet and catering blocks also in these areas. New PA system, new flood light towers, 1 in each corner, remove the old security fence surrounding pitch and upgrade .

User avatar
yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 3743
Joined: 05 Jul 2006, 18:50
Location: York, UK

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by yorky » 20 Nov 2021, 17:01

make the ground full size by moving back & renewing the railway end terracing & a new main stand, thats 5 million gone

User avatar
steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1016
Joined: 29 May 2007, 12:01
Location: Working in the belly of the beast

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 20 Nov 2021, 19:08

yorky wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 17:01 make the ground full size by moving back & renewing the railway end terracing & a new main stand, thats 5 million gone
Something akin to what you suggest has to be the aim if we’re going to stay at wheldon rd & do incremental works. Anything like replacing old for new (other than perhaps floodlights) is a complete waste of time & money.
I was only thinking the other day that if we had put around £75,000 away by signing one less player every year for the last 10 years; we’d probably be sat on around £8 million! I feel like I’m missing something though; Surely it can’t be as easy as that!
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 345
Joined: 31 May 2015, 12:02

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by stuey » 20 Nov 2021, 19:18

You are right - it is not that simple. 75000 saved for 10 years gives the club 3/4 million not 8 million.

User avatar
steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1016
Joined: 29 May 2007, 12:01
Location: Working in the belly of the beast

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 20 Nov 2021, 19:20

stuey wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 19:18 You are right - it is not that simple. 75000 saved for 10 years gives the club 3/4 million not 8 million.
😂🤣😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
No excuses; I don’t know what I was thinking! 😂🙈
Last edited by steadygetyerboots-on on 20 Nov 2021, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Fumper27
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 9962
Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 08:10

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Fumper27 » 20 Nov 2021, 19:21

Be a damn good interest rate throughout the globes biggest financial problems to get to £8,000,000 from £75,000 per year

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 5425
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 16:29

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2021, 19:38

Doubt it’s anywhere near enough for a new main stand, particularly as there will be demolition and removal costs before new build can start

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1362
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 21:14

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Swagger » 20 Nov 2021, 20:15

Toilets
Changing rooms
Seating stand
Princess Street

Need to be the 4 main focus points. The seating stand is going to be most expensive. Not sure it can be saved and to knock down and rebuild will be a hell of a lot of money.

User avatar
yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 3743
Joined: 05 Jul 2006, 18:50
Location: York, UK

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by yorky » 21 Nov 2021, 09:21

not forgetting hospitality boxes etc?

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 966
Joined: 27 Apr 2017, 10:53

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by JIN JER » 21 Nov 2021, 12:08

steadygetyerboots-on wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 19:20
stuey wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 19:18 You are right - it is not that simple. 75000 saved for 10 years gives the club 3/4 million not 8 million.
😂🤣😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
No excuses; I don’t know what I was thinking! 😂🙈
With that £75K you could have signed Corey Hall. 🤣🤣 (If you know you know 😉)

User avatar
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 6104
Joined: 24 May 2007, 15:06
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by mart0042 » 22 Nov 2021, 14:00

If theres only so much money, say 8m. Can we build a full length stand with better changing rooms and catering facilities? I'm not so sure.

So I'd build under the stand and towards the training field. Incorporating new changing rooms and showers, a new dining facility and better stuff for the corporate guests. And new toilets at each end.

If theres any money left, try to get be cantilever roofing all round and get rid of the stantions.

The rest we can sort ourselves like be terraces etc

User avatar
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 6104
Joined: 24 May 2007, 15:06
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by mart0042 » 22 Nov 2021, 14:05

mart0042 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:00 If theres only so much money, say 8m. Can we build a full length stand with better changing rooms and catering facilities? I'm not so sure.

So I'd build under the stand and towards the training field. Incorporating new changing rooms and showers, a new dining facility and better stuff for the corporate guests. And new toilets at each end.

If theres any money left, try to get be cantilever roofing all round and get rid of the stantions.

The rest we can sort ourselves like be terraces etc

And it can all be done without losing capacity

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player
Posts: 11827
Joined: 23 Jun 2014, 12:07

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Nov 2021, 14:23

Where's 8million come from ? 2 million will be what we get if it's voted through as expected
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 108
Joined: 15 Jul 2006, 16:54

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by pat » 22 Nov 2021, 15:00

There’s article in rugby league express today on Wakefield’s upgrade and there saying the vast amount is hopefully coming from the Newmarket site planning for Wakefield’s improvements and newmarket plans will be seen in December on the same day

User avatar
Shameless
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1154
Joined: 06 Jul 2006, 09:13
Location: Top of the Dales

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Shameless » 22 Nov 2021, 17:49

Can WR be made fit for purpose? i'm not so sure. Stadia nowadays have to be 7 day operations - healthclubs, gyms, Conference Facilities and so on that's where clubs can make money, i'm just not sure WR is in the right place for such activity.
If we get 2M from the council and sell the Land at WR for a further million we would be at 3M. If we discharge Axiom of any S106 obligation regardless of what is built in the future then we could get the land and another 2M from them (got to be a good gamble for them Vs the 10M cost they are fully liable for.) So halfway there and with the land. It may have to be a staged build at Glasshoughton but in my opinion we need to planning for the future not trying to keep an outdated and incredibly costly old ground on it's feet.

Love WR and if we spend the 2 Million on it then it's still good news - Just think we need to consider other options before we order those new toilet doors.
I Once had a large gay following, But I ducked into an alleway and lost him.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1750
Joined: 22 Jun 2012, 16:48

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by casjunction » 22 Nov 2021, 19:14

I have always said that even with a new stadium the income streams may not be as great as people may think.
Trying to sell Castleford as a conference venue was always going to be a tough ask.
Since Covid-19 people are more and more using other media for training and meetings this will probably become the norm.
If the corporate facilities are improved it may earn more on match days but l don't see a lot of call other than that.
So it may be necessary to look at alternative options to bring in extra cash.
Over to the marketing department.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1149
Joined: 05 Jan 2021, 17:59

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by FIat Capper » 23 Nov 2021, 12:30

casjunction wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 19:14 I have always said that even with a new stadium the income streams may not be as great as people may think.
Trying to sell Castleford as a conference venue was always going to be a tough ask.
Since Covid-19 people are more and more using other media for training and meetings this will probably become the norm.
If the corporate facilities are improved it may earn more on match days but l don't see a lot of call other than that.
So it may be necessary to look at alternative options to bring in extra cash.
Over to the marketing department.
I too always get the feeling too much emphasis is placed on a 365 days operation of a new ground but I do look at Fev who aren't a 7 days a week operation but certainly make the most of what they have.

Not only do they host Wakefield FC games (and practise) but they also host many RL finals from junior competitions to open age and beyond.

They also use their clubhouse to host events and have had darts nights, evenings with well know sports personalities and so on. This is on top of the venue being used for other functions such as weddings, etc.

A new main stand at Cas should allow many of the above events and provide income throughout the year even, if it's not every day.

Post Reply