Wheldon Road

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Post Reply
Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1364
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 21:14

Wheldon Road

Post by Swagger » 19 Nov 2021, 19:25

We are hopeful of getting a 2million grant to help improve Wheldon Road facilities.

Fingers crossed this is passed on 29th November. 2 million should go a long way on improving our ground and making it superleague standard for any future licencing set by the RFL

Puts to bed any new stadium talk too.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1364
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 21:14

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Swagger » 19 Nov 2021, 19:26

Info can be found on Cas website.

Dunkirk Spirit
New member
Posts: 37
Joined: 14 Mar 2019, 20:38

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Dunkirk Spirit » 19 Nov 2021, 19:44

Swagger wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 19:26 Info can be found on Cas website.
https://citizen.wakefield.gov.uk/distri ... ign=buffer

gateman
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 4098
Joined: 31 Mar 2016, 12:40

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by gateman » 19 Nov 2021, 19:56

any soccer club moving may be we can do a Feath

gateman
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 4098
Joined: 31 Mar 2016, 12:40

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by gateman » 19 Nov 2021, 20:01

any soccer club moving may be we can do a Feath

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player
Posts: 10004
Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 08:10

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Nov 2021, 20:37

Will that pay for locks on the toilet doors??

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 880
Joined: 14 Mar 2018, 17:35

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by MrRugby123 » 19 Nov 2021, 22:37

Any idea how it will be spent?

User avatar
alftupper
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 3724
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 10:41

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by alftupper » 19 Nov 2021, 22:56

Jeffrey seems to suggest that Rugby League in these parts is a religion yet I reckon barely 10,000 people out of a population of 325,000 regularly watch the three clubs that will potentially benefit from this hand out. £6m seems an awful lot of public money to throw away, how much did the game get from the government ‘loan’ paid last year which will never get repaid?

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 857
Joined: 19 Jul 2020, 10:44

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by westerbeast73 » 19 Nov 2021, 23:14

alftupper wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 22:56 Jeffrey seems to suggest that Rugby League in these parts is a religion yet I reckon barely 10,000 people out of a population of 325,000 regularly watch the three clubs that will potentially benefit from this hand out. £6m seems an awful lot of public money to throw away, how much did the game get from the government ‘loan’ paid last year which will never get repaid?
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 119
Joined: 15 Jul 2006, 16:54

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by pat » 19 Nov 2021, 23:49

For me that statement is saying the new stadium is dead.2 million it’s a start but what can we do with it apart from the bogs.the same money at fev and they can improve there capacity and have a decent ground and will castleford want to spend two million on the jungle if they are still living the dream of a new stadium.at least something is now happening and we can only hope

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 2040
Joined: 05 Sep 2012, 15:24
Location: In your face.

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by The Firm » 20 Nov 2021, 00:17

pat wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 23:49 For me that statement is saying the new stadium is dead.2 million it’s a start but what can we do with it apart from the bogs.the same money at fev and they can improve there capacity and have a decent ground and will castleford want to spend two million on the jungle if they are still living the dream of a new stadium.at least something is now happening and we can only hope
As i put in the New Stadium thread….

The shopping centre is dead, forget about it ever happening. What needs to happen now is Axiom, the council and the club need to get around the table and find a way forward for that land. Be that housing, be it warehousing or whatever is deemed appropriate. As happened with Wakey a payment to the club in lieu of the stadium could be made to the club for the revenoration of Wheldon Road, a healthy developer profit will still be made. Along with the £2 million council grant i've mentioned above and various options regarding sports grant funding that is available and there should be plenty for a pretty damn good job doing. All it need is a bit of foresight from those in charge of the various organisations.

With this announcement now is the time to take the bull by the horns and get it sorted properly. Just chucking a couple of million at it will be putting lipstick on a pig. The board need to stop burying their head in the sand hoping for a miracle. They need to go out and make it happen.

User avatar
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Posts: 10543
Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 23:25
Location: bridlington

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by lurcher » 20 Nov 2021, 00:47

The Firm wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 00:17
pat wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 23:49 For me that statement is saying the new stadium is dead.2 million it’s a start but what can we do with it apart from the bogs.the same money at fev and they can improve there capacity and have a decent ground and will castleford want to spend two million on the jungle if they are still living the dream of a new stadium.at least something is now happening and we can only hope
As i put in the New Stadium thread….

The shopping centre is dead, forget about it ever happening. What needs to happen now is Axiom, the council and the club need to get around the table and find a way forward for that land. Be that housing, be it warehousing or whatever is deemed appropriate. As happened with Wakey a payment to the club in lieu of the stadium could be made to the club for the revenoration of Wheldon Road, a healthy developer profit will still be made. Along with the £2 million council grant i've mentioned above and various options regarding sports grant funding that is available and there should be plenty for a pretty damn good job doing. All it need is a bit of foresight from those in charge of the various organisations.

With this announcement now is the time to take the bull by the horns and get it sorted properly. Just chucking a couple of million at it will be putting lipstick on a pig. The board need to stop burying their head in the sand hoping for a miracle. They need to go out and make it happen.
just can't see it being housing mate. would you want to live next to one of the busiest stretches of motorway in the country with pylons overhead.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 5430
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 16:29

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2021, 01:25

lurcher wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 00:47
The Firm wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 00:17
pat wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 23:49 For me that statement is saying the new stadium is dead.2 million it’s a start but what can we do with it apart from the bogs.the same money at fev and they can improve there capacity and have a decent ground and will castleford want to spend two million on the jungle if they are still living the dream of a new stadium.at least something is now happening and we can only hope
As i put in the New Stadium thread….

The shopping centre is dead, forget about it ever happening. What needs to happen now is Axiom, the council and the club need to get around the table and find a way forward for that land. Be that housing, be it warehousing or whatever is deemed appropriate. As happened with Wakey a payment to the club in lieu of the stadium could be made to the club for the revenoration of Wheldon Road, a healthy developer profit will still be made. Along with the £2 million council grant i've mentioned above and various options regarding sports grant funding that is available and there should be plenty for a pretty damn good job doing. All it need is a bit of foresight from those in charge of the various organisations.

With this announcement now is the time to take the bull by the horns and get it sorted properly. Just chucking a couple of million at it will be putting lipstick on a pig. The board need to stop burying their head in the sand hoping for a miracle. They need to go out and make it happen.
just can't see it being housing mate. would you want to live next to one of the busiest stretches of motorway in the country with pylons overhead.
I’ve put similar posts on to the Firm a few times. It just needs a bit of lateral thinking from the planners
As far as location of new housing is concerned, don’t be under any illusions, they’re putting it in everywhere and anywhere.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player
Posts: 5430
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 16:29

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2021, 02:44

Club statement says it will be used as part of long term plans to improve Wheldon Road. Wonder if Axiom is dead then.

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 265
Joined: 06 Aug 2014, 10:06

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by sirocco7 » 20 Nov 2021, 09:09

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 02:44 Club statement says it will be used as part of long term plans to improve Wheldon Road. Wonder if Axiom is dead then.
Maybe not dead but I’ve heard a deal is on the table to rip the current legal agreement up stating the stadium has to be built before the shopping centre can be open. In return Lateral/Axiom fund £5 million of redevelopment at Wheldon Road. This means they save around £15 million. It’s a win win they get a shopping centre still and we get to modernise our current ground. You could do quite a lot with the £5 million from Axiom and £2 million from the Council.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 1835
Joined: 18 May 2019, 11:07

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Piquad1 » 20 Nov 2021, 11:12

If only.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 113
Joined: 11 Jun 2021, 20:14

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by Blackbulltiger » 20 Nov 2021, 11:23

sirocco7 wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 09:09
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 02:44 Club statement says it will be used as part of long term plans to improve Wheldon Road. Wonder if Axiom is dead then.
Maybe not dead but I’ve heard a deal is on the table to rip the current legal agreement up stating the stadium has to be built before the shopping centre can be open. In return Lateral/Axiom fund £5 million of redevelopment at Wheldon Road. This means they save around £15 million. It’s a win win they get a shopping centre still and we get to modernise our current ground. You could do quite a lot with the £5 million from Axiom and £2 million from the Council.
Won't be much left if fulton calls his loan in

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 966
Joined: 27 Apr 2017, 10:53

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by JIN JER » 20 Nov 2021, 11:31

Apparently our renovation of BV is gonna cost £8.3M, that involves a new East stand (the seated stand), renovation of the terracing on the North stand and an upgrade to the bar in the corner, plus a 4G pitch

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player
Posts: 11850
Joined: 23 Jun 2014, 12:07

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Nov 2021, 12:02

Swagger wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 19:25 We are hopeful of getting a 2million grant to help improve Wheldon Road facilities.

Fingers crossed this is passed on 29th November. 2 million should go a long way on improving our ground and making it superleague standard for any future licencing set by the RFL

Puts to bed any new stadium talk too.
Came a bit out of the blue this with no new ground ever likely to be built it's vital we get on with improving Weldon Road so very welcome news this
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player
Posts: 2692
Joined: 10 Jan 2018, 15:27

Re: Wheldon Road

Post by heritage1926 » 20 Nov 2021, 12:53

If we use the £2m to it's full potential, then we could really make Wheldon Road special, whilst still keeping our roots, yet modernise it and bring it up to standards. A win/win for everybody.

Post Reply