2022 Rule changes

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

2022 Rule changes

Post by orrsome » 10 Oct 2021, 13:20

So what rule changes would you like to see implemented for next season?
Off the top of my head:
1. Bring scrums back
2. Scrap 6 again.
3. Tackled player must play the ball with the foot. Not just roll the ball backwards when playing the ball.
4. Defending team cannot move forward until the foot touches the ball whilst being played.
5. Video ref at every game. Not just those that are televised. Using home club’s video equipment where necessary.
6. Where there is any doubt,On-field ref to send try decisions to the video ref as ‘try or no try’ rather than current ‘ I have a try or I have no try’.

Any others?

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: 2022 Rule changes

Post by TT Tiger » 10 Oct 2021, 13:26

Scrap ball steel

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 10 Oct 2021, 13:29

Make refs for there job correctly

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 10 Oct 2021, 15:32

TT Tiger wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 13:26 Scrap ball steel
i'll go for that one too, very difficult to police by the refs.

SpiritOf94
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SpiritOf94 » 10 Oct 2021, 16:26

Make the offside rule applicable to All teams

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 10 Oct 2021, 17:25

When saints put their foot in touch or like last night, almost in the stand, the ball goes to the opposition, ala everybody else

Caslad45

Post by Caslad45 » 10 Oct 2021, 18:29

Bring back scrums.

methleytiger

Post by methleytiger » 11 Oct 2021, 07:53

Just apply the same rules for all Simples

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Oct 2021, 08:23

the one i hate is i have a try

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 11 Oct 2021, 09:04

Captains Challenge

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 11 Oct 2021, 09:26

Ask video ref “Try or no try” without sending up an initial decision.
Allow video ref to message ref during play regarding other decisions.
Drawback is of course, different rules for non-televised games.
Bring back scrums.
If awarding 6 again on 1st tackle, extend the set to 7. Would like to see stats on when refs have given set restarts, don’t seem to do it at back end.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 11 Oct 2021, 11:31

Pre covid rules to start with. Bring the scrums back and remove the 6 again.

I'd revert back to the original ruling regarding the zero tackle if the ball is kicked dead too deliberately or not.

Two matches are generally covered by Sky a week so look at training if needed a few more video refs. Don't need to have a screen for all matches but having the consistancy week in week out would be beneficial. I think every club records their matches anyway so in terms of camera feeds it should be ok - they'll be less angles but you'd be able to review at least some footage.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

TypingMonkey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TypingMonkey » 11 Oct 2021, 11:57

I know the issue of playing the ball with the foot is an annoyance for some (personally I'm not bothered) but if that were to become an area of focus for the referees everyone would be calling for it to be scrapped by week 3 because every game would be littered with even more penalties than we currently have to endure. Also the PTB would slow down so that the players don't give away sloppy penalties, especially when they're tired towards the end of a game.

If I were to introduce a rule for the new season I would have a mandatory "refer upstairs to the video ref" for any foul play the officials consider may be worthy of a red or yellow card. I would rather have the game stop for 2 minutes than have a player binned for a fair but hard tackle, or have a player get away with foul play because the ref didn't see it properly.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 11 Oct 2021, 12:28

Bring back scrums is a must for me.

I like the ball steal opportunity but ref's need to learn what's stealing and what's poor ball control by the attacking player. Far too many simply lose control because of a lose carry but win a penalty anyway.

Similar with interference at the PTB when some teams (Saints) seem to be given hours to lay on, leave arms in and rest on the attacker and when this affects the PTB, the penalty goes the wrong way, usually to Saints.

I'd like to see Captain's challenge to help with poor ref decisions.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 11 Oct 2021, 16:32

TypingMonkey wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 11:57 I know the issue of playing the ball with the foot is an annoyance for some (personally I'm not bothered) but if that were to become an area of focus for the referees everyone would be calling for it to be scrapped by week 3 because every game would be littered with even more penalties than we currently have to endure. Also the PTB would slow down so that the players don't give away sloppy penalties, especially when they're tired towards the end of a game.

If I were to introduce a rule for the new season I would have a mandatory "refer upstairs to the video ref" for any foul play the officials consider may be worthy of a red or yellow card. I would rather have the game stop for 2 minutes than have a player binned for a fair but hard tackle, or have a player get away with foul play because the ref didn't see it properly.
Playing the ball with the foot doesn’t seem to slow the game in NRL.
It helps officials by giving them a point of reference for deciding if defenders are off side by them moving forward before the ball is played. If they’re not allowed to move until the ball is touched with the foot the attacking team has a bit more time.
Rolling the ball on the ground (incorrect PTB) is what Sts “line speed” is based on. They start moving forward when the ball is moving towards the ground, limiting the attackers time.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 11 Oct 2021, 16:59

orrsome wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 16:32 Playing the ball with the foot doesn’t seem to slow the game in NRL.
It helps officials by giving them a point of reference for deciding if defenders are off side by them moving forward before the ball is played. If they’re not allowed to move until the ball is touched with the foot the attacking team has a bit more time.
Rolling the ball on the ground (incorrect PTB) is what Sts “line speed” is based on. They start moving forward when the ball is moving towards the ground, limiting the attackers time.
Whilst I agree with the NRL observation, I'm not sure about the Saints one.

A few weeks ago the comments of a ref were picked up on the TV coverage and the Ref was clearly heard to say, you can't move forward until the ball is played backwards, not when the ball is placed on the ground. These were then repeated by the commentator (Bill Arthur IIRC).

I also believe the rules do not ask that the foot is placed on the ball, only that the ball is played backwards whilst the foot is in in the air, and this includes rolling it along the ground with the hand. In essence, you motion to play the ball backwards with the foot but you can place the ball on the ground without the defensive line moving forward.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 11 Oct 2021, 17:05

Next season the law makers will have an emphasis on something, so loads of penalties at the start.
What I don’t understand is why they suddenly lose interest in one, such as the flop. A couple of years ago a late finger on somebody was a penalty, but watching the Final on Saturday, all flopping with no penalties.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 11 Oct 2021, 17:17

FIat Capper wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 16:59
orrsome wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 16:32
A few weeks ago the comments of a ref were picked up on the TV coverage and the Ref was clearly heard to say, you can't move forward until the ball is played backwards, not when the ball is placed on the ground. These were then repeated by the commentator (Bill Arthur IIRC).
I thought that comment by the ref was laughable as he actually said ‘ball on the foot not the floor’ for when the defensive line can move. Well, given that we hardly ever see the ball played on the foot how can that be interpreted?

TypingMonkey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TypingMonkey » 11 Oct 2021, 17:36

Every team currently plays the ball by vaguely waving their foot in the general direction of the ball. Some of our own players are the worst culprits. It's clearly an aspect of the game where the refs are prepared to give a little because it's better to let the game flow than keep stopping for technical penalties that don't really affect the outcome of the play. If it's particularly egregious then they do give a penalty under the current rules. As long as everyone is playing to the same rules then what difference does it make?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 12 Oct 2021, 10:33

Bring back scrums, no onfield ref guesses and play to the flipping rules.