New stadium

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: New stadium

Post by Scoopage » 02 Feb 2022, 13:01

Try link through Facebook

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 02 Feb 2022, 13:11

Thanks scoopage but not a member is it a new update on the ground or old news thanks

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 02 Feb 2022, 13:26

derbystiger wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 10:29 All sounds good apart from a 4G pitch - as Matt has said above, we have a fantastic playing surface and giving it up for plastic wouldn’t be my choice. If there’s money to use for a 4G pitch then use it for the training ground area.
What did it say exactly , the article has now been deleted ?

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 02 Feb 2022, 13:37

Castleford Tigers have revealed their in-depth proposals to redevelop their long-term home at Wheldon Road into a 'top-class Super League facility', turning it into an all-year-round venue which will generate an extra £1million per year.
The Tigers have long harboured ambitions to move to a newly-built stadium on the outskirts of the town, but have consistently faced issues with the Axiom site, just off Junction 32 of the M62. However, a recent £2million injection of cash from Wakefield Council to redevelop the Tigers' current stadium has moved the goalposts, and enabled the club to focus on the prospect of remaining at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle in an improved, redeveloped facility.
Tigers chief executive Mark Grattan says that while Axiom remains a possibility, the preference is now to redesign Wheldon Road. Plans estimated to cost between £8million and £10million will be funded in part by the grant from the Council, but also from the original developers at Axiom, who will invest a significant sum should that site's original purpose be changed to make it a warehousing and distribution facility.
That would then clear the path for the developers to instead invest in Wheldon Road. The club will reveal its plans in more detail in the coming weeks, but the hope is that if everything is approved this summer, it will take around 18 months to transform Castleford's spiritual home that could provide significant financial injection to the Super League club.
Explaining the plans, Grattan said: "The main hospitality building will stay, and a new main stand will be built which will house a 200-suite restaurant, 12 boxes, a gymnasium and four changing rooms underneath it.
"We'll go all the way around to the corner of the Railway End with that. There'll be a 4G training pitch with automated turnstiles and we'll tidy the rest of the stadium to make it look fresh and modern.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 02 Feb 2022, 13:38

"Obviously, £2million doesn't get anywhere near achieving that so we'll need a contribution from developers around the size of the one Wakefield Trinity have just received. We're in the same situation as them, with a developer who's willing to change the 106 agreement at Axiom to give us the funds to develop up here.
"They just need their consent on that changed from shopping centre to warehouse and distribution, then they'll contribute a significant sum of money getting the stadium up to standard. It'll give us 400 covers on hospitality, more boxes and you can turn it into a top-class Super League facility."
When asked about the cost of the project, Grattan said: "It'll be something similar to what's required at Belle Vue, around the £8-10million mark. But we think with what we've got planned, the rooms it'll give us, if we can get it running as a 365-day operation it'll be £1million a year extra which it'll generate."
Castleford intend to renovate the stadium in stages, meaning that while there will be a reduced capacity at the stadium during the build, there will be no need for the club to find an alternate home to play games at.
The Tigers are now waiting for the enabling development to be confirmed at the Axiom site, which would clear the path for Castleford's renovation plans to begin.
"Because we've not put the proper plans out, I don't think people will be appreciative of the scale of it until the drawings come out," Grattan said. "People think we're spending the £2million Council money on painting the posts and extending the beer sheds but we're not. That's going to go into the full development.
"It was always going to be difficult in getting the enabling development away from Axiom and providing we get the same level of support Wakefield Trinity have had from the Council, we think we're home and dry.
"Don't hold me to these timescales but they think all the plans will be in place by June. Our plans are done for here but we can't go without the enabling development. As soon as it's all through, the developers are saying the funding is there, and we can pretty much go on whenever suits us on the playing season."

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 02 Feb 2022, 13:39

When asked whether Castleford's preference was now to stay at Wheldon Road or move to the Axiom site, Grattan said: "I think this redevelopment has got more legs in terms of the long-term future of the club than Axiom.
"We're doing things around the ground like a DJ in the tent, a new fanzone for this year, and you can't do that in a modern stadium. You're sat in a stand and there's nothing else there. You can come here and wander round, and if you can get this right, I think it's the better option."

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 02 Feb 2022, 13:55

Castleford Tigers have revealed their in-depth proposals to redevelop their long-term home at Wheldon Road into a 'top-class Super League facility', turning it into an all-year-round venue which will generate an extra £1million per year.
The Tigers have long harboured ambitions to move to a newly-built stadium on the outskirts of the town, but have consistently faced issues with the Axiom site, just off Junction 32 of the M62. However, a recent £2million injection of cash from Wakefield Council to redevelop the Tigers' current stadium has moved the goalposts, and enabled the club to focus on the prospect of remaining at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle in an improved, redeveloped facility.
Tigers chief executive Mark Grattan says that while Axiom remains a possibility, the preference is now to redesign Wheldon Road. Plans estimated to cost between £8million and £10million will be funded in part by the grant from the Council, but also from the original developers at Axiom, who will invest a significant sum should that site's original purpose be changed to make it a warehousing and distribution facility.
That would then clear the path for the developers to instead invest in Wheldon Road. The club will reveal its plans in more detail in the coming weeks, but the hope is that if everything is approved this summer, it will take around 18 months to transform Castleford's spiritual home that could provide significant financial injection to the Super League club.
Explaining the plans, Grattan said: "The main hospitality building will stay, and a new main stand will be built which will house a 200-suite restaurant, 12 boxes, a gymnasium and four changing rooms underneath it.
"We'll go all the way around to the corner of the Railway End with that. There'll be a 4G training pitch with automated turnstiles and we'll tidy the rest of the stadium to make it look fresh and modern.
"Obviously, £2million doesn't get anywhere near achieving that so we'll need a contribution from developers around the size of the one Wakefield Trinity have just received. We're in the same situation as them, with a developer who's willing to change the 106 agreement at Axiom to give us the funds to develop up here.
"They just need their consent on that changed from shopping centre to warehouse and distribution, then they'll contribute a significant sum of money getting the stadium up to standard. It'll give us 400 covers on hospitality, more boxes and you can turn it into a top-class Super League facility."
When asked about the cost of the project, Grattan said: "It'll be something similar to what's required at Belle Vue, around the £8-10million mark. But we think with what we've got planned, the rooms it'll give us, if we can get it running as a 365-day operation it'll be £1million a year extra which it'll generate."
Castleford intend to renovate the stadium in stages, meaning that while there will be a reduced capacity at the stadium during the build, there will be no need for the club to find an alternate home to play games at.
"It was always going to be difficult in getting the enabling development away from Axiom and providing we get the same level of support Wakefield Trinity have had from the Council, we think we're home and dry.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 02 Feb 2022, 14:09

Thanks. I don't see why we've not put this on our website, unless it's been released without our knowledge early.

It all sounds plausible and adds a bit more meat to the bones of the first article. Upgraded stadium and still no mortgage. Perfect.

I'd rather he didn't say home and dry. Too many false dawns and that.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 02 Feb 2022, 14:12

Burratha wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 11:08 I believe the 4G pitch is the training field area.
I hope so but I don't recall any mention of training pitch.

I'd be hugely disappointed if we do go 4G for the match pitch, particularly as I believe the money could be better spent on extending it through the Railway End. I await the plans...

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 02 Feb 2022, 14:16

FIat Capper wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 14:12
Burratha wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 11:08 I believe the 4G pitch is the training field area.

I'd be hugely disappointed if we do go 4G for the match pitch, particularly as I believe the money could be better spent on extending it through the Railway End. I await the plans...

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 02 Feb 2022, 14:37

I like how he mentions Wakefield's development several times. He's basically saying to the council "you've funded their project, we need the same, over to you".

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 02 Feb 2022, 14:46

Captain wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 14:37 I like how he mentions Wakefield's development several times. He's basically saying to the council "you've funded their project, we need the same, over to you".
I took that differently to be honest. I thought it was unnecessary & came off a bit petty.
It would have been sufficient to say that the Council have shown to be on board with local clubs in terms of stadium redevelopment in recent times & we look forward to continuing in that theme.
I’d rather we kept wakefied out of our press releases - not out of badness or rivalry, but they have nothing to do with what we’re doing & vice versa. Focus on promoting Castleford.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

the changeling
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by the changeling » 02 Feb 2022, 14:58

Lets hope the 4g training pitch is the only synthetic pitch darnt lane.

i do see the benefits of having the option, we underestmated the bounce of the ball etc at Widnes a few years ago and if these pitches start creeping further into the game, we need to have an insight into how the ball and players react with the surface.

In my opinion 4g pitches shouldnt be allowed in the game but we cant put the genie back in the bottle.

I respect of the statement did he mention extending the playing surfae by moving the Railway end back a bit, we need to do that to remove every stick the RFL can use against us when they reinstate licensing (i fear thats on the horizion too)

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 02 Feb 2022, 15:42

We also have the best grounds man in Rugby League, no way would they make Stu's job pretty much redundant.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 02 Feb 2022, 17:42

heritage1926 wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 15:42

We also have the best grounds man in Rugby League, no way would they make Stu's job pretty much redundant.
Hopefully the comment is restricted to practice pitch(es) because his is simply the best.

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 02 Feb 2022, 18:56

steadygetyerboots-on wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 14:46
Captain wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 14:37 I like how he mentions Wakefield's development several times. He's basically saying to the council "you've funded their project, we need the same, over to you".
I took that differently to be honest. I thought it was unnecessary & came off a bit petty.
It would have been sufficient to say that the Council have shown to be on board with local clubs in terms of stadium redevelopment in recent times & we look forward to continuing in that theme.
I’d rather we kept wakefied out of our press releases - not out of badness or rivalry, but they have nothing to do with what we’re doing & vice versa. Focus on promoting Castleford.
Yes, I can see both sides of the argument to be honest. It could be seen as a bit of "I want what they got" bit of whinging as well. Hopefully it's just a nudge to get them to pay attention.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 Feb 2022, 19:48

The council haven’t funded our redevelopment though have they, they gave us a £2M loan, I’m sure I’ve read that they’ve given Cas £2M. The council have given us a helping hand regarding planning but as far as I understand that’s it financially.

Copied from above.
“However, a recent £2million injection of cash from Wakefield Council”

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 02 Feb 2022, 20:04

JIN JER wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 19:48
The council haven’t funded our redevelopment though have they, they gave us a £2M loan, I’m sure I’ve read that they’ve given Cas £2M. The council have given us a helping hand regarding planning but as far as I understand that’s it financially.

Copied from above.
The money from Wakefield Council is a grant, nothing to pay back .

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 Feb 2022, 20:23

sirocco7 wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 20:04
JIN JER wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 19:48

Copied from above.
The money from Wakefield Council is a grant, nothing to pay back .
Really? I could have sworn it was a loan, I thought I’d read on here people asking what if we missed payments?