HKR

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: HKR

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Sep 2021, 12:36

Teams are embarrassed almost to celebrate finishing top of league I remember Cas getting laughed at for celebrating finishing top of league ...only in rugby league comes into my mind
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 26 Sep 2021, 13:52

Absolutely

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 27 Sep 2021, 10:52

tigerfeat wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 12:36 Teams are embarrassed almost to celebrate finishing top of league I remember Cas getting laughed at for celebrating finishing top of league ...only in rugby league comes into my mind
If the RFL want to keep the grand final for the occasion fine but the priority should be on the league leaders with the grand final winner given another title other than SL champions.

You can play amazing all season and recieve next to no credit for it yet a team that scrapes through to the playoffs and then ramps up for a few games all of a sudden can be crowned the champions. From an outsiders point of view it's hard not to laugh when you explain the format to them.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Sep 2021, 11:28

We used to do it like that here. I think Saints, possibly under Millward won the title by finishing top and there was also a Premiership Competition with the Final at Old Trafford
I don’t think Sky thought it was exciting enough because the Premiership didn’t mean much so they went for copying the Australian to 5 format which led to that amaoCas run in 1999

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Sep 2021, 21:54

Really disrespectful of Sky to advertise Catalans as finalists while the match was still going on

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 30 Sep 2021, 22:07

I thought HKR saved their worse performance for the most important game of the clubs history.
Awful performance by them, especially that first half.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Sep 2021, 22:23

I agree about the performance but in terms of importance , not in the same league as them beating Hull at Wembley in 1980

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 Oct 2021, 07:38

Theve done well gone from bottom to 80 minutes off a grand final theve signed Coote for next season I see them top six again next year
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 01 Oct 2021, 09:56

Their best performance came with Abdull playing. He gets some injuries does the lad. It'll rest on him being fit for their position, just like us and Luke gale did.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 01 Oct 2021, 10:43

Felt a bit like last night they'd won their GF the week before.
Difficult place to go anyway and they had defied the odds the week before and peaked.

I'd take their end to the season over ours on balance!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 Oct 2021, 12:08

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 21:54 Really disrespectful of Sky to advertise Catalans as finalists while the match was still going on
If Sky were disrespectful, the BBC are even worse. On their sport website the fixtures for next weekend list the Championship Final taking place between Feath and Toulouse!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 01 Oct 2021, 12:09

Matt wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 10:52
tigerfeat wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 12:36 Teams are embarrassed almost to celebrate finishing top of league I remember Cas getting laughed at for celebrating finishing top of league ...only in rugby league comes into my mind
If the RFL want to keep the grand final for the occasion fine but the priority should be on the league leaders with the grand final winner given another title other than SL champions.

You can play amazing all season and recieve next to no credit for it yet a team that scrapes through to the playoffs and then ramps up for a few games all of a sudden can be crowned the champions. From an outsiders point of view it's hard not to laugh when you explain the format to them.
Everyone appears to be forgetting the most important thing in RL, how the Aussies do it! As with so many things in the British game, we do it simply because that's the way the Aussies do it so it must work and therefore be the correct way to do it.

Now the games are totally different with those competing seemingly closer in standards than the top and bottom clubs over here. This may make the play-off system a fair reflection of who deserves to be crowned champions over there.

We also have to accept that our GF has become a spectacle, a night on the sporting calendar when those not normally interested in our sport take a peak. And, in spite of the loss (or because of it), our appearance in 2017 was a day/night I will never forget. I also attended a 'premiership final' at Old Trafford and whilst it was another final, it simply did not carry the weight that the current GF carries.

So, whilst the system over here appears 'flawed', it perhaps needs greater competition during the season rather than changing the GF to an end of season friendly.