Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
marty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Daryl Powell

Post by marty_tiger » 16 Sep 2021, 21:49

Thank you for some great memories and taking us to finals I am not sure we would not have gotten to without you, :clap:

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 16 Sep 2021, 22:18

Agreed. Good luck for the future…except against Cas!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 17 Sep 2021, 12:04

I give my sincere thanks for everything he's done for our club and whilst the result last night was very disappointing, it did sum up Powell's time at Cas:

Poor start, leaking tries, no idea in attack.
Then we become brilliant, scoring tries at will and demolishing teams but,
In the end, couldn't get us over the line.

Says it all...

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 17 Sep 2021, 13:23

FIat Capper wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:04 I give my sincere thanks for everything he's done for our club and whilst the result last night was very disappointing, it did sum up Powell's time at Cas:

Says it all...
Pretty poor summary for the input of one of if not the most successful coach in the club’s history

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 17 Sep 2021, 13:43

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:23
FIat Capper wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:04 I give my sincere thanks for everything he's done for our club and whilst the result last night was very disappointing, it did sum up Powell's time at Cas:

Says it all...
Pretty poor summary for the input of one of if not the most successful coach in the club’s history
Poor in the sense that it's brief and doesn't over egg the bit in the middle that I'm certainly glad to have been part of. It gave hope and some wonderful memories that no one else has.

However, what did he win? The LLS, which should receive greater accolade but I still believe the game was an accurate reflection of the last eight years.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 17 Sep 2021, 14:21

FIat Capper wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:43
Tamworth Tiger wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:23

Says it all...
Poor in the sense that it's brief and doesn't over egg the bit in the middle that I'm certainly glad to have been part of. It gave hope and some wonderful memories that no one else has.

However, what did he win? The LLS, which should receive greater accolade but I still believe the game was an accurate reflection of the last eight years.
Fair enough. I don’t see it like that but different strokes are what make this forum fun( well it’s sometimes fun!😄)

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Sep 2021, 14:45

Shouldn’t this be in ‘Anything RL / Fans of Other Clubs’ section?
Joking aside, I think it was time for change. The last two seasons have been poor and we’ve not finished in the play-offs. Sure, there have been some highlights, but we’ve regressed on the field overall since 2017.
Powell’s work between 2013 and 2017 was outstanding, no doubt. But the game isn’t played in the past and we’ve declined season on season over the last four years. As such, it’s time for change.

Powell will rightly be seen as the coach who dragged us from mediocrity (at best) to the position we were in 2017. That’s his legacy at the club, not 2018-2021.

Now he just becomes another rival coach. I hope Warrington win the GF this year, just so he’s under pressure before he even starts the job. No room for sentimentality in sport.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Sep 2021, 15:03

nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 14:45 Shouldn’t this be in ‘Anything RL / Fans of Other Clubs’ section?
Joking aside, I think it was time for change. The last two seasons have been poor and we’ve not finished in the play-offs. Sure, there have been some highlights, but we’ve regressed on the field overall since 2017.
Powell’s work between 2013 and 2017 was outstanding, no doubt. But the game isn’t played in the past and we’ve declined season on season over the last four years. As such, it’s time for change.

Powell will rightly be seen as the coach who dragged us from mediocrity (at best) to the position we were in 2017. That’s his legacy at the club, not 2018-2021.

Now he just becomes another rival coach. I hope Warrington win the GF this year, just so he’s under pressure before he even starts the job. No room for sentimentality in sport.
I agree with all you've put there and what made that period between him arriving and the 2017 grand final so special was he built the team with players nobody else wanted by and large and also had players leave in sometimes ridiculous circumstances but just carried on regardless
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 17 Sep 2021, 15:08

tigerfeat wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 15:03
nottinghamtiger wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 14:45 Shouldn’t this be in ‘Anything RL / Fans of Other Clubs’ section?

I agree with all you've put there and what made that period between him arriving and the 2017 grand final so special was he built the team with players nobody else wanted by and large and also had players leave in sometimes ridiculous circumstances but just carried on regardless
Exactly. At the end of each season he had a first 13 player leave every season up to 2017:

2013 - Rangi Chase
2014 - Daryl Clark
2015 - Justin Carney
2016 - Denny Solomona

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 Sep 2021, 04:08

Great post Notts. Absolutely bang on.

The unforgettable win vs Saints in the 2017 semi presented the opportunity of a lifetime. Unfortunately, instead of it being an occasion that confirmed DP's coaching genius, it created another question mark about his ability in and around games that really matter.

We've hung in there since then but, a bit like an ageing boxer, although we've still had the ability to land a great punch, we've taken too many on the jaw.

In grateful for what DP has given us and the pride he put back into to he club and the town. It's all about whether Radders can build on that now while bringing some grit and steel into our game.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 18 Sep 2021, 09:36

Legend. Best coach I have seen down the lane. Helped change the culture of the club, dragging us out of the mire that the worst coach we have ever had in Milllward left us in. Powell provided some of the best memories I have had watching since the early 80s.
However, I cannot wish success to anyone competing against Cas on any level so I will not be saying good luck to him that's for sure.

68tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 68tiger » 18 Sep 2021, 09:48

Think powell stayed a couple of years too long, after 2017 feel is nerve went. Before everyone jumps on me i mean from when he arrived to 2017 we played a free flowing open attacking game which peaked in 2017 with everyone saying how wonderful we were to watch. Then through actions not of his own doing gale not fully fit end of 2017 then hardakers stupidity threw an whole years planning down pan at most crucial period of season. After that loss i feel he seemed to think we could not win the big one playing open style and we seemed to revert to the 5 runs and kick style, personally i prefer open attacking rugby would rather go down fighting than watch dull rugby. This year even sky have come out commenting about standard of rugby, yet in 2017 were praising our attacking game this is why i feel it is time to award 5 points for a try instead of 4, a try should be rewarded with value more than 2 kicks to encourage attacking play rather than take pens. Or how about another option we have 40/20 kicks been rewarded how about 5 point try for a try from outside the 40 thus rewarded attacking play from long range. Finally back to powell we must all thank him for what he did when he arrived, was the right man at the right time for a wonderful period upto end 2017 and cup run this year, would have loved nothing more than to see local coach win big one for us but sadly not to be so thankyou for reviving this club, making us a team people respect and fear more than when he arrived and good luck (except when you play us obviously) thanks daryl coyf

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 20 Sep 2021, 10:03

Thanks Daryl. You brought us exciting rugby and some great memories.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 20 Sep 2021, 17:01

Yea but we just couldn't put the cherry 🍒 on top of the cake. Nevermind onwards we march as we always will.coyf.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Sep 2021, 17:52

I don’t think Daryl ever lost it for us.
IMO the 2017 World Cup destroyed our momentum in terms of pre season build up but also jaded players and injured ones, Gale being the prime but not only example. That, compounded by our inability to find a fullback meant that we never really got going again, and the ridiculously bad injury record since e.g. Gale, Moors, Roberts, Trueman, Feki, Eden and so many more has made it astonishing that we have done as well as we have. It’s easy to forget that in 2019 we were so decimated by injuries that many on here were predicting relegation but we turned it round to be one game off getting to Old Trafford
I’ve no doubt that with a Covid free season and a reasonable run in terms of injuries Powell would have been well capable of delivering further success for a long time into the future.

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 20 Sep 2021, 18:13

Just to compound what everyone has said, my abounding memory of the DP era will be the try scored against Wire (think) when Gale cought ball from KO instead of passing to a forward gave it to Zac on our own line he broke clear went up field turned ball inside to Gale who scored which summed up the ethos of Cas Tigers circa 2017 brilliant football ...Stains not withstanding..
I would never have imagined Tigers being top of the tree at the end of a season... thanks to DP ....the King is 'dead' long live the new King.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 20 Sep 2021, 18:34

I mean I’m sure it was rangi that caught the ball and passed

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 20 Sep 2021, 18:41

Dont think Rangi was with us then HJ W'ton 2017

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Sep 2021, 19:43

the happy hooker9 wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 18:41 Dont think Rangi was with us then HJ W'ton 2017
Played against Warrington in round two.