Olpherts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
CHTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Olpherts

Post by CHTiger » 11 Sep 2021, 22:26

Awful! That first tackle on linnet was awful and set the tone! He is awful, he can’t defend and his finishing is poor. Yes I know he scored one tonight, but how hard did he make that easy finish look? I used to like him but since the league restarted last year after the first lockdown he has been nothing short of awful. He is a league 1 winger at best, I can’t wait for him to get lost

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Olpherts

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Sep 2021, 22:38

I disagree,
He makes far more metres on kick returns than anyone else.
Sometimes he takes the kick return and then the third play too, usually when the forwards aren’t even back behind the ball.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 11 Sep 2021, 22:43

With the half back shambles we've had all season it's very easy to criticise any of the backs.

6 & 7 are the root of the problem. Below par performances in the three-quarters is the end result.

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 11 Sep 2021, 22:49

nottinghamtiger wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 22:38 I disagree,
Sometimes he takes the kick return and then the third play too, usually when the forwards aren’t even back behind the ball.
But that does nor compensate for the horrendous errors which penalise the team, tonite example Cas n Dis
trict league tackling = 6 point KR..his attempted pass v Catalans over his own line = try Catans ...cannot continually carry brain fart players.

stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieblunder » 11 Sep 2021, 22:50

Anyone who blames Olpherts for that performance has a warped mind and didn't see the game.

A few players were off the pace.

Main problem, lack of ideas and structure.

We had numerous chances near their line and looked lacking options/ ideas.

Bad day at the office.

Roll on 2022.
I remember Peter Small

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Sep 2021, 23:06

stevieblunder wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 22:50 Anyone who blames Olpherts for that performance has a warped mind and didn't see the game.

A few players were off the pace.

Main problem, lack of ideas and structure.

We had numerous chances near their line and looked lacking options/ ideas.

Bad day at the office.

Roll on 2022.
well said mate

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 11 Sep 2021, 23:23

Wasn't Olpherts best game admittedly, but I agree with the comments regarding the other stuff to his game, his metre making is the best in the team. If you want to point fingers, then Shenton/Clare combo would the be one. Both stifled the attack pretty much everytime they had it.

Milners best game for a very long time and Evalds was very good too.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Sep 2021, 23:26

the happy hooker9 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 22:49
nottinghamtiger wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 22:38 I disagree,
But that does nor compensate for the horrendous errors which penalise the team, tonite example Cas n Dis
trict league tackling = 6 point KR..his attempted pass v Catalans over his own line = try Catans ...cannot continually carry brain fart players.
The issue is that almost every player makes mistakes.
Remember Billy Slater throwing the ball over his shoulder to hand Benji Marshall a decisive try for NZ? Or Sinfield’s massive error in the WC semi-final?
I’d argue that what Olpherts has contributed this year far outweighs his mistakes.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Sep 2021, 23:28

whilst people pick on one player at least they leave others alone

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 12 Sep 2021, 00:22

Still 10x better than Clare.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 12 Sep 2021, 01:49

Guys, singling out Olpherts is totally misconstrued ! Yes he made a bad missed tackle that led to a try but so did Holmes !!
Olpherts, like a number have already said, has been there to make the hard yards out of defence all season and has not been that bad a player as to what some are making out !
What about Turner throwing that dreadful pass when Olpherts had a chance to race to the line in the first half !! Turner didn’t show much but you can’t take away the good games he’s had !
Shenton and Richardson were dreadful in play !
The clueless lack of invention to create tries in the last attacking quarter was the main downfall and if you heard what DP said, he was harking for McShane as he too realised we lack “Classy Cas” attacking creativity when he’s not on the pitch which is where the likes of Richardson is sadly lacking and doesn’t get the up and under high enough to trouble full backs either - Apart from his goal kicking, for me he’s not been any answer for us !! I’d love to see a player like Manly’s Cherry Evans to put some buzz into the Cas attack !!

CHTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CHTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 02:33

I don’t usually comment on here never mind start topics but are you people actually blind? Yes he makes good metres from our line, but that’s it. His defence his horrible, his finishing is awful, his awareness of the game is woeful, he has no pace, admittedly he has got better under the high ball but I crap myself everytime it goes to him, he can’t compete for high balls though cos he loses out everytime. There has been so many times where we have had same amount of defenders as attackers on his side and because he is so rubbish they still score a try or make a break down his side because he can’t stick to his man, or read there play. I am not talking about the Hull KR game, I’m talking about every game in general he is by far Cas’s worst player in what you would call ‘Cas’s strongest team’.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 12 Sep 2021, 02:52

That was not an individual defeat, the KR plan way better than ours, structurally and ironically less emotional.

Our penalties given away were petulant

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 12 Sep 2021, 06:39

Dont get this glorification of Olpherts'doing the hard yards out of defence' in the SL era that is one of the main traits of any winger to refieve the pressure on the forwards.
One of the greatest exponents of this if Makinson BUT added to this his is unique try scoring ability strong defence which unfortunately Olpherts does not posses.
I suggest people look back at tries scored on his side of field and the times he missreads the play leaving his opposing winger with open space....viz. Swift in latest match v Hull.

Gomersal Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Gomersal Tiger » 12 Sep 2021, 08:13

I can't understand why someone raises a thread about 1 individual after that performance. Quite easily could have done one for most players. Turner, he missed the first tackle when they scored the first try, he cannot pass to his right causing us to miss out on a sitter, same against Wigan resulting in length of field try. Holmes 2 penalties in first 5 minutes. I could go on and on about individuals.
You will not win against today's defenses with one man rugby. No invention. No ideas. No chance if we don't change.

CHTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CHTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 08:31

I am not blaming Olpherts for the loss, although I’m blaming him for the pathetic tackle he made on Linnet for there first try. I just think he’s garbage in general.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Sep 2021, 08:39

the club invested in a top class winger who over the last two years we have seen 10 mins his travelling buddy as hardly performed any better, these two lads will be on top money, of all the signings DP as made these two have been the worst and make Olpherts look a very good buy

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 12 Sep 2021, 09:28

gateman wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:39 the club invested in a top class winger who over the last two years we have seen 10 mins his travelling buddy as hardly performed any better, these two lads will be on top money, of all the signings DP as made these two have been the worst and make Olpherts look a very good buy
Nails it. Great post.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 12 Sep 2021, 10:22

Gomersal Tiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:13 I can't understand why someone raises a thread about 1 individual after that performance. Quite easily could have done one for most players. Turner, he missed the first tackle when they scored the first try, he cannot pass to his right causing us to miss out on a sitter, same against Wigan resulting in length of field try. Holmes 2 penalties in first 5 minutes. I could go on and on about individuals.
You will not win against today's defenses with one man rugby. No invention. No ideas. No chance if we don't change.
That’s a better articulation of what I was trying to say! Agree

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 12 Sep 2021, 10:46

Gomersal Tiger wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 08:13 I can't understand why someone raises a thread about 1 individual after that performance. Quite easily could have done one for most players. Turner, he missed the first tackle when they scored the first try, he cannot pass to his right causing us to miss out on a sitter, same against Wigan resulting in length of field try. Holmes 2 penalties in first 5 minutes. I could go on and on about individuals.
Exactly. Why are we playing one man rugby.
Is it because Powell knows our three quarters are gash.
We have one of the best fullbacks in SL, we hardly use him as the extra man ala hardaker. Why have we stopped playing like that.
Constantly going down the middle is getting us no where.