Wire

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Re: Wire

Post by mdean » 16 Sep 2021, 22:34

Players in, I think it’s scales and balance we’ve not got marquee money.

If we had 2017 would have been different as would have the CC finals and in which case everything is different.

We are limited not Darryl, or Lee, it’s bigger and we are pretending

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Sep 2021, 22:46

mdean wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 22:34 Players in, I think it’s scales and balance we’ve not got marquee money.

If we had 2017 would have been different as would have the CC finals and in which case everything is different.

We are limited not Darryl, or Lee, it’s bigger and we are pretending
Give over we've spent between 300k to 400k alone in transfer fees in the last 3-4 years not getting players off contract ...spending a lot of money on players not out of contract
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

DebH
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by DebH » 16 Sep 2021, 22:59

If olpherts had managed to hold on to the ball out wide when they were down to 12 we were in with a shout but lost momentum after that even when they went down to 11 men. Gutsy second half effort was worth going down Lane for. And Oggy was wiping away a few tears at the end which was sweet. Onwards 2022.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 17 Sep 2021, 00:33

After this last game, I think we all need to reflect on what we saw and then look forward to next season (shame to get eventually toppled after beating Saints at theirs though).

Seemed to start off well then a couple of very soft defensive errors that led to tries followed by a bad bounce that gave up another try. Olpherts bombed a couple of good opportunities and even juggled to score in 2nd half !, Evalds was poor tonight under the high ball which isn't like him, Richardson had a couple of good breaks but that was about it and what was he doing to allow Mamo to pick up that ball and score in 1st half was criminal when he clearly had time to pounce on it !

On the plus side and looking into next season, a couple of good players (Holmes and Matautia) are going to be very much missed, however Mamo coming to replace an aging Shenton ( and that really showed tonight between the two - did you see the incredible pace of Mamo down that wing to score !). JSL leaving (nice guy but not shown any punch last 2 seasons for me) and which gladdens with the arrival of Westerman. Really hope we have a fit Feki to replace Olpherts (and that's fingers crossed). I thought Blair was starting to show some signs in recent games but jury out on that one !

Take nothing away from Wire tonight as they were solid and had a solid sound display (apart from the mad 10 mins to let Cas back in) whereas Cas were error ridden and clunky - McShane looked like he was holding back and carrying his injuries which is not his fault. I'm a bit concerned about Watts as he seems to have lost a bit of punch also - Hope he finds his strength for next season !

For me, we need another good half back as Richardson (great kicker though) and Obrian weren't that effective and we need a top class beefy forward to replace Millington - wonder if Gale may be available for another season or two as Rhinos seem to be surplus to requirements in those positions now and could work well with Trueman ! There's other considerations in other positions also but will leave that to any further comments.

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 17 Sep 2021, 07:28

Mcshane not fit. Not sure if Watts has been for weeks. Milner turned the game and changed our dynamics last night.
Good to see some fight and make a game of it otherwise would have been a bleak end to the era.
With over 15 mins left when Millo scored and then their sending off it was there for the taking but we lost the plot and didn't see the ball for 5 or 6 mins, conceding pens and territory and they took the sting out of us.
Overall you can't give a team a 32-0 lead and expect to win tbf.
Sad end for Shenton who has served us well.
Powell era over with the same symptoms shown throughout. Been a great ride though. Will always be thankful to him.
On to the next now.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 17 Sep 2021, 08:18

Disappointed with last night, but not suprised how it ended.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 17 Sep 2021, 08:24

Dennis Vazquez wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 07:28 Good to see some fight and make a game of it otherwise would have been a bleak end to the era.
I think Warrington putting “the cue on the rack” aided our comeback somewhat. They clearly had gears to go through and showed that with how they ended the game despite being a man down

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 17 Sep 2021, 08:42

Fumper27 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 08:24
Dennis Vazquez wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 07:28 Good to see some fight and make a game of it otherwise would have been a bleak end to the era.
I think Warrington putting “the cue on the rack” aided our comeback somewhat. They clearly had gears to go through and showed that with how they ended the game despite being a man down
To be honest I thought it was less about Wire putting the cue on the rack and more about us picking ours up and using it in the second half. When we picked it up they couldn’t live with us for 20 minutes. Let’s not forget we’ve beaten them two out of four this season and had a first half stinker which really flattered them.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 17 Sep 2021, 09:01

On reflection, I think we are all realistic enough to know we were only potentially extending the season by a week.

Getting beat wasn't an issue, in parts Warrington were good, it was the error strewn abject first half. The result is in the paper now, deck cleared and onwards! See you all in February and see what that brings in the new era.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Sep 2021, 09:32

it would be great to see more lads from the 19s given a chance one failing DP had was not bring them through ,

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 17 Sep 2021, 10:18

Thank god that's over.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 17 Sep 2021, 10:19

Piquad1 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:18 Thank god that's over.
Ditto.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 17 Sep 2021, 10:39

We got what we deserved this season (SFA) by "resting" players in vital matches to concentrate on the Challenge Cup.

A full strength team in ALL matches and we would have cruised into the play-offs. We end up not winning the Challenge Cup and not qualifying for the play-offs.

Our "home" record did not help either,. we lost 8 our last 9, and included two absolute stuffings with much weakened teams.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 Sep 2021, 11:48

Some good thoughts on this page.

We need a clear out and are getting one. Truey will sort us in the half back problem. We need a couple of angry props.