Alex Foster and JSL

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Alex Foster and JSL

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Sep 2021, 10:15

FIat Capper wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 10:08 I know I'm a sceptic, a cynic and very much often pessimistic but the closer we get to Powell moving, the more I become convinced he neither wants nor ever wanted to.

He gave all the usual clichés following his announcement; new challenge, every coach has a time limit at one club and so on but if they were all true, why would he sign many of the same players that are his current challenge or part of his current role?

Surely a new challenge or a new club would be new players, different players, different tools to work with, etc?

To me it seems increasingly like he wants what he's already got but felt he had to escape whatever shackles were now placed upon him.
Exactly...and like I said on the Minikin thread if things don't start well he will be under a lot of pressure and not have the complete power he's had(Most of the time ) since hes been down lane
Last edited by tigerfeat on 03 Sep 2021, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 03 Sep 2021, 10:16

FIat Capper wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 10:08 I know I'm a sceptic, a cynic and very much often pessimistic but the closer we get to Powell moving, the more I become convinced he neither wants nor ever wanted to.

He gave all the usual clichés following his announcement; new challenge, every coach has a time limit at one club and so on but if they were all true, why would he sign many of the same players that are his current challenge or part of his current role?

Surely a new challenge or a new club would be new players, different players, different tools to work with, etc?

To me it seems increasingly like he wants what he's already got but felt he had to escape whatever shackles were now placed upon him.
He's got an unlimited budget at wire and 2 marquee options. Bearing in mind the world best player Inglis want the highest played and now classed as coach, plenty of scope. He was on a tight budget at Cas. Plus outstanding training facilities.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 03 Sep 2021, 12:18

mart0042 wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 10:16 He's got an unlimited budget at wire and 2 marquee options. Bearing in mind the world best player Inglis want the highest played and now classed as coach, plenty of scope. He was on a tight budget at Cas. Plus outstanding training facilities.
And that's my point. Here at Cas he has, in the main, the players he wants but feels he doesn't get sufficient support from the Club to develop those players enough, If he did, he wouldn't hesitate to stay, no matter how long he's been here or whether it still challengers him in the ways he wants.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 03 Sep 2021, 12:26

I do agree with that. I feel after Warrington, however long that maybe, he will be back at Cas as a DOR.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Sep 2021, 13:11

Think Radford and his team will do well enough without needing Powell hovering over them ...
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 03 Sep 2021, 13:29

Once the season has passed it will be time to move on, with the new regime at Cas, Radders has already begun the process of acquiring the players he feels he can work with and, so far, doesn't seem to have relied to heavily on blokes he's worked with before.

So whilst the canvas may have a very light coloured water wash, it is pretty much blank enough to allow Radders to work his art. I'm not sure Powell has the same washed canvas but that will be his problem.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 03 Sep 2021, 13:51

FIat Capper wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 13:29 doesn't seem to have relied to heavily on blokes he's worked with before.
We’ve confirmed three signings that I can think of (Fariamo, Westerman and Mamo)…Radford has worked with two of them previously.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 03 Sep 2021, 16:24

DP making a move for Minikin a lad we let go, Foster JSL anyone

Let’s talk sense
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Let’s talk sense » 03 Sep 2021, 19:37

tigerfeat wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 10:15

DP is probably like most bosses at any workplace. If they move they like to take a few trusted colleagues with them.

Exactly...and like I said on the Minikin thread if things don't start well he will be under a lot of pressure and not have the complete power he's had(Most of the time ) since hes been down lane

Let’s talk sense
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Let’s talk sense » 03 Sep 2021, 19:44

Like most bosses who move. DP will take a few trusted lieutenants/Spies with him.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 06 Sep 2021, 09:57

FIat Capper wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 12:18
mart0042 wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 10:16 He's got an unlimited budget at wire and 2 marquee options. Bearing in mind the world best player Inglis want the highest played and now classed as coach, plenty of scope. He was on a tight budget at Cas. Plus outstanding training facilities.
And that's my point. Here at Cas he has, in the main, the players he wants but feels he doesn't get sufficient support from the Club to develop those players enough, If he did, he wouldn't hesitate to stay, no matter how long he's been here or whether it still challengers him in the ways he wants.
I always thought he had the support, especially when they choose him over Steve Gill, if all is to believed in the Zak drug Saga. Though we couldn't compete financially.

We need better training facilities, we know that but there's no desire from the owners to do it. We need a new ground to bring in the money to pay for marquee but that doesn't seem any closer.

Maybe he'll come back to a new ground and facilities? I'm hoping I know

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Sep 2021, 18:29

We can get a marquee without the new stadium.

As always, it comes back to fans getting off their backsides and going to games every week. Average 8.5k = marquee signing capabilities.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 07 Sep 2021, 10:18

HuddsTigers wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 18:29 We can get a marquee without the new stadium.

As always, it comes back to fans getting off their backsides and going to games every week. Average 8.5k = marquee signing capabilities.
We need another 2017 for that. Here's hoping.

The question will be "how did we invest the 2017 money?"

I maintain that this run of form since Daryl came in is the best we can get. Always in the playoffs, never near relegation and the odd final. I think a regular 8.5k crowd odd only achievable in a new ground.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 07 Sep 2021, 10:22

mart0042 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 10:18
HuddsTigers wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 18:29 We can get a marquee without the new stadium.

I maintain that this run of form since Daryl came in is the best we can get. Always in the playoffs, never near relegation and the odd final. I think a regular 8.5k crowd odd only achievable in a new ground.
We paid cash for:

Joe Wardle
Liam Watts
Peter Matauria

All bought for or during the 2018 season…

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 07 Sep 2021, 10:24

Fumper27 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 10:22
mart0042 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 10:18

We paid cash for:

Joe Wardle
Liam Watts
Peter Matauria

All bought for or during the 2018 season…
Ok. Then it was worth it certainly. Apart from wardle obviously.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Sep 2021, 10:33

We spent a fair chunk on Richardson as well rarther than sign someone off contract can't say that was money well spent up to press
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 07 Sep 2021, 12:04

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 10:33 We spent a fair chunk on Richardson…
Didn’t we use part of the fee received for Luke Gale to sign Danny R?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Sep 2021, 12:11

Fumper27 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 12:04
Yeah we did we could still have signed someone who was off contract and kept all of the Gale money I'm not saying it was wrong to spend money just he's not been worth the money spent ...so far
Vince Lombardi

LJH23
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LJH23 » 07 Sep 2021, 17:08

tigerfeat wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 12:11
Fumper27 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 12:04
Yeah we did we could still have signed someone who was off contract and kept all of the Gale money I'm not saying it was wrong to spend money just he's not been worth the money spent ...so far
Minus the Wigan game (where nobody really covered themselves in glory) I think Danny has looked pretty good for the last 5/6 games - was really good against Saints and Hull FC - really seemed to have found his groove.
So close, yet so far.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 07 Sep 2021, 17:40

DP as done a good job he as also signed some good players but the last two from AUS have yet to show their worth