Challenge cup final…….change of venue.

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Challenge cup final…….change of venue.

Post by mart0042 » 12 Aug 2021, 10:14

It's supposed to be a fantastic ground. Hopefully we can get there and win.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 12 Aug 2021, 10:23

I know this story has just broken but what the hell are the RFL playing at? Why move it when Wembley was/is earmarked as Rugby League's national stadium.

Is this a sign of where our standing in the sporting world is heading?

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 12 Aug 2021, 10:28

Yep. My first thought was WHY???

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 12 Aug 2021, 10:42

mart0042 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 10:14 It's supposed to be a fantastic ground. Hopefully we can get there and win.
Went last month to do the Sky Walk and going ne t month for the AJ fight. Awesome stadium

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 12 Aug 2021, 12:03

For years the Cup was the “Road to Wembley”. Wembley is the national stadium. Players want to say to their Grandkids “I played at Wembley”, Not Spurs.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 12 Aug 2021, 12:05

I've never been but will be going in October for the NFL. It does look a fantastic stadium. If there is no date that can be agreed for next year for Wembley then this seems the next best option. Good motivation to be the first side to lift the Challenge Cup there.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 12 Aug 2021, 12:28

There’s only no date because for some ridiculous reason they want to move the final back to May. Why?

May means we play the whole competition in the early months of the season and probably little build up to the final. July allows the competition to be spaced out over two thirds of the season and a decent build up to the final.

Leave it in July and play at Wembley, simple for anyone except the RFL it seems.

the changeling
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by the changeling » 12 Aug 2021, 12:33

As if the CC isnt devalued enough with the stupid seeding process. A four game winning streak is all it takes now for a SL team to win in (even though we failed). The CC without seeding is the easiest way to get some brass into the lower divisions, and theres always the chance of a bit of giantkilling. We used to talk about the Romance of the CC didnt we.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 Aug 2021, 14:13

Tiger53 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 12:28 There’s only no date because for some ridiculous reason they want to move the final back to May. Why?

May means we play the whole competition in the early months of the season and probably little build up to the final. July allows the competition to be spaced out over two thirds of the season and a decent build up to the final.

Leave it in July and play at Wembley, simple for anyone except the RFL it seems.
It is down to the BBC, they want the final back in its old place in the calender of May.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Aug 2021, 16:47

Been to Wembley quite a few times in the last few years. Don’t think I’d go in 2022 (unless Cas make it).
However, I’m tempted to go to the final now it’s somewhere that I haven’t been before. Supposed to be a great stadium.

Horsifer

Post by Horsifer » 14 Aug 2021, 00:55

Why do fans bind such emotion to visiting Wembley? I have made my feelings clear in previous posts about our game being a northern game, some say M62 corridor, I include Cumbria as being a vital enclave and hotbed of RL talent, so why don't we stop wasting our time, energy and money by allowing the gatekeepers of our game to organise it that the pinicle of our cup competition is held at a ground that is miles away from the heartlands of our game? My view: sack Wembley off and hold the Cup Final up north: Old Trafford, Elland Road, St. James' Park, Etihad, even Anfield. Make it easier for fans to attend.
Hold firm, have faith. #COYF

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 14 Aug 2021, 08:36

If its not at Wembley then it should be played up north imo either old trafford or the ettihad would do fine. Getting to/staying in London is so expensive for fans n most just cant afford to do it, were as manchester is able for most fans to travel there and back in the day.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 14 Aug 2021, 15:07

jackknife wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 08:36 If its not at Wembley then it should be played up north imo either old trafford or the ettihad would do fine. Getting to/staying in London is so expensive for fans n most just cant afford to do it, were as manchester is able for most fans to travel there and back in the day.
Agree completely.

Although it is a brilliant stadium & a bit easier to get to from the north than Wembley, the area around the stadium is grim.

Strange choice.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 16 Aug 2021, 09:49

SuffolkTiger wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 15:07
jackknife wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 08:36 If its not at Wembley then it should be played up north imo either old trafford or the ettihad would do fine. Getting to/staying in London is so expensive for fans n most just cant afford to do it, were as manchester is able for most fans to travel there and back in the day.
Agree completely.

Although it is a brilliant stadium & a bit easier to get to from the north than Wembley, the area around the stadium is grim.

Strange choice.
Yes it's not a nice area.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 Aug 2021, 23:11

The area around Wembley stadium isn't great (although it's improved in recent years) but Tottenham is a big step down in terms of what it can offer families.