Next Season

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Next Season

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Jul 2021, 19:12

14 teams with 4 teams relegated then going with two divisions of 10 from following season being considered
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Next Season

Post by Tigerade » 30 Jul 2021, 19:19

Our very own Mark Grattan has also put forward another proposal at todays meeting. Don't know what it is though.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 31 Jul 2021, 07:16

tigerfeat wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 19:12 14 teams with 4 teams relegated then going with two divisions of 10 from following season being considered
so we will be playing one another lots of times, why oh why cant they keep it at 14, oh wait a minute each team will get more sky money if there's only 10 teams

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 31 Jul 2021, 08:42

We might be. The reports say they were just looking at possibles yesterday

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 31 Jul 2021, 22:01

yorky wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 07:16
tigerfeat wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 19:12 14 teams with 4 teams relegated then going with two divisions of 10 from following season being considered
so we will be playing one another lots of times, why oh why cant they keep it at 14, oh wait a minute each team will get more sky money if there's only 10 teams
not neccessarily, it says super league will be 2 leagues of 10 each.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 02 Aug 2021, 10:15

2 Leagues of 10 means more loop fixtures but more money. I wonder which way they'll vote. No answer needed

Personally I like the idea of playing each team home and away once and bye weekends for teams. Especially if the challenge cup stays.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 02 Aug 2021, 12:00

mart0042 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 10:15 Personally I like the idea of playing each team home and away once and bye weekends for teams. Especially if the challenge cup stays.
That’s the way to go in my opinion. Plus, the challenge cup needs to be how it used to be - all sides in the hat from the off to give amateur clubs the chance of drawing a top side and putting some money into the coffers. That’s the magic of the cup that’s been lost in my opinion.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 03 Aug 2021, 12:05

derbystiger wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 12:00
mart0042 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 10:15 Personally I like the idea of playing each team home and away once and bye weekends for teams. Especially if the challenge cup stays.
That’s the way to go in my opinion. Plus, the challenge cup needs to be how it used to be - all sides in the hat from the off to give amateur clubs the chance of drawing a top side and putting some money into the coffers. That’s the magic of the cup that’s been lost in my opinion.
I fully appreciate the sentiment of Saint Helens playing Lock Lane but I believe there were concerns about the physical differences between the top SL teams and the rank amateurs or even many Champ and L1 teams.

I truly believe the days of shock results has gone and I certainly wouldn't want that lad from the chippy getting smashed by Alex Wormsley.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 03 Aug 2021, 12:37

FIat Capper wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 12:05
derbystiger wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 12:00
I fully appreciate the sentiment of Saint Helens playing Lock Lane but I believe there were concerns about the physical differences between the top SL teams and the rank amateurs or even many Champ and L1 teams.

I truly believe the days of shock results has gone and I certainly wouldn't want that lad from the chippy getting smashed by Alex Wormsley.
Thing is FC saints would never play players like wormsley and other big names against an amateur side.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 03 Aug 2021, 13:36

old cas lass wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 12:37 Thing is FC saints would never play players like wormsley and other big names against an amateur side.
That may be the case but I'd wager the pro team will put a side out that is full of those that train full time and as a result have large physiques and superior fitness levels.

We've seen a raft of injuries amongst the SL players and I genuinely fear they'd be a very serious outcome if the amateurs had to face SL opponents every year.

The contrast in football isn't as severe with the physical size/contact being less problematic.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 11 Aug 2021, 21:04

Staying with 12 teams with 1 team relegated (most likely Leigh) and 1 promotion for next year. The plan moving forward to 2023 remains undecided.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 12 Aug 2021, 07:36

All that discussion and nowt changes - for now! 🙄

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Aug 2021, 09:11

Totally unfair on Leigh.
Stepped in at the last minute.
Basically rescuing the debacle surrounding Wolfpack.
Unable to have a decent opportunity to recruit on equal terms.
I stand to be corrected but l believe they forfeited the Sky money.
Everyone else including ourselves benefited from this and should be grateful to them
I also believe Les Cats have a pretty raw deal.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Aug 2021, 09:20

casjunction wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 09:11 Totally unfair on Leigh.
Everyone else including ourselves benefited from this and should be grateful to them
I agree. Pretty fair summary

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 12 Aug 2021, 09:25

Unfortunately Leigh knew exactly what they were getting themselves in for. They have literally had no chance of properly competing. Wakefield and Salford should feel very lucky this season.

The only viable option was to promote Toulouse, they would of been competitive in all of their home fixtures (maybe even picked up a couple of 24-0's along the way because of COVID).
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Aug 2021, 09:35

How can a sport be run like this 6 or 7 matches left and last week it looked like Leigh would be safe and there would be no relegation now there is relegation after all
Don't the SL clubs realize how bad this looks just decide on how things are going to be and stick to it for a few years
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 12 Aug 2021, 10:35

How I read this is fairly simple:

HAVE to promote Toulouse.
Don't want to spread the money any thinner so can't have 14 clubs in SL.

Apparently the RFL & SL are about to announce a new corporate uniform consisting of; size 20 red boots, bright yellow baggy trousers with big red braces, a crisp white shirt with a red checked jacket and a spinning dickie bow. All topped of with a bright red bowler hat full of custard and topped with a flower. Make up is optional but preferred.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Aug 2021, 10:45

FIat Capper wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 10:35 How I read this is fairly simple:

HAVE to promote Toulouse.
Don't want to spread the money any thinner so can't have 14 clubs in SL.

Apparently the RFL & SL are about to announce a new corporate uniform consisting of; size 20 red boots, bright yellow baggy trousers with big red braces, a crisp white shirt with a red checked jacket and a spinning dickie bow. All topped of with a bright red bowler hat full of custard and topped with a flower. Make up is optional but preferred.
Very good that not far wrong either ...
Vince Lombardi

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Aug 2021, 10:50

Toulouse!
Another very expensive away fixture for the clubs let alone the supporters.
No income from travelling fans.
The game is short of cash already.
I would love to see a French League
It would strengthen the international appeal

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 12 Aug 2021, 11:59

StevieTheTV wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 09:25
Unfortunately Leigh knew exactly what they were getting themselves in for. They have literally had no chance of properly competing. Wakefield and Salford should feel very lucky this season.

The only viable option was to promote Toulouse, they would of been competitive in all of their home fixtures (maybe even picked up a couple of 24-0's along the way because of COVID).
Yes, Leigh new exactly what they would be getting into when they applied - they were never SL ready and Beaumont knew that. They've probably lost a fortune this season by applying. I said at the time and I stick by it now - SL should have been played with the 11 teams for this season and had bye weeks which could have, potentially, been used to reschedule games lost due to COVID etc...There should have been no relegation from SL playing with 11 teams but promotion from the Championship gained on the field of play, not who can write the fanciest document, for 2022.