BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » 04 Jun 2021, 10:01

alftupper wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 07:37 We know him all too well CasRus, he will never back our country and will always take the opportunity to talk us down
At least we are on the same page !!.............. Capper is now reading "Once Upon a Time in the EU" books !! ..... #-o #-o :D :D

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 04 Jun 2021, 11:26

Not for the first time you misunderstand the facts in front of you. My last post was an attack on you two constantly putting our fantastic country down whilst we were in the EU.

We were great, always have been, and we led the world in many, many things. Being in the EU didn't stop us.

Oh, and I'm sure our increased quota for fishing that we recently agreed with the EU will really benefit from the massive Norwegian fleet flooding our ports. Another agreement that will have a huge detrimental impact on many.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 04 Jun 2021, 17:07

FIat Capper wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 11:26 Not for the first time you misunderstand the facts in front of you. My last post was an attack on you two constantly putting our fantastic country down whilst we were in the EU.

We were great, always have been, and we led the world in many, many things. Being in the EU didn't stop us.

Oh, and I'm sure our increased quota for fishing that we recently agreed with the EU will really benefit from the massive Norwegian fleet flooding our ports. Another agreement that will have a huge detrimental impact on many.
Capper, you are becoming dillusional !!

Both Capper and I have never put our country down and we have always recognised the UK to be a great country !! - The fact of the matter is (which I believe both Alf and certainly I) is that the EU have been milking this great country of ours for the past 40 years or so !!!!! That is the actual reality and you are now really grasping at straws which is very unbecoming of you in insinuating and which is an absolute lie to to say we have been attacking our fantastic country !! A bit shameful if you ask me !!! Get your facts straight Matey !!

On fishing which I consider a side issue , I will say that to get into bed with Norway is a positive move in building a strong and close relationship with them as Russia is moving in on Greenland /Arctica as I speak which will have serious implications for our security and we need the NorseLand Countries now more than ever to form an effective front from the rise of Russia who are looking to control Northern sea passages and take control of Arctica and who are looking to take full control of the massive resources there. If we don't form alliances with Norway/Sweden/Denmark and even Germany/Netherlands , we are going to be subservient to Soviet rule - PERIOD !!

I don't know if you are looking at the news lately, but Russia in Northern Europe and China in South China/ Australasian seas are now making very threatening moves and developing massive arsenals including ultra modern Nuclear Hypersonic missile technology that would catch you with your trousers round your ankles sat on the pot and not enough time to wipe your backside !! Even China are now speaking about a Nuclear War on the cards !!

The drag of the southern EU countries have effectively milked Northern European countries for many a year and we just can't and couldn't afford to sit back taking that cr.p anymore !! - A more efficient alliance with efficient countries within Europe would have been the best with Northern EU countries and that is why Brexit showing the rest to consider breaking free (i.e. Sweden for example who are weighing up this option) - and that's giving some credence to forming an efficient Super EU at best with free trade if you still believe an EU should still exist and that is that and what and why Brexit was the trailblazer to essentially make this happen as a reforming of Northern EU while still in command of our ability to make our own decisions !! After all, that is what we originally went into Europe for and which was called the Common Market and not to have everything decided by a small corrupt cartel in Brussels making all our laws and regulations which successive UK governments since joining the Common Market were embarrassingly hoodwinked in to accepting while bleeding us dry !! These alliances with trade with Norway for example is now starting to show what the Master-Plan really is and what it Brexit is and was from the outset - Back to Common Market Principles with strong strategic ties within Europe and being able to also go out for other World Trade Deals for future Prosperity and not being tied to Antiquated EU of Old Principles running on a mouse treadmill to nowhere !! Get with the Program Capper !!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 07 Jun 2021, 11:43

And I'm clutching at straws...but, let me see if I've read your comments correctly.

Being part of the EU and the strong allegiances we had, both economically and in defence, were a strangle on our great nation and we could not survive in the world?

But, to tackle the huge threat from the likes of Russia and China we need strong allegiances with the likes of Norway (a neutral country) and Sweden as well as other Northern EU countries so we can effectively fight against those wishing to take over the world. Even a economic bond with these like-for-like countries would benefit Great Britain & NI?

Presumably this would be even more effective if we let the Greeks (bordering the East), the Spanish (gateway to/from Africa) and Italy (again, easy access from Africa) fight on their own. Use them as collateral damage so to speak leaving our group of allies safe and sound with the enemies at the door?

Sounds great...

Anyway, I've just read the warnings about the difficulties of obtaining day-to-day goods as various aspects of trouble and strife around the world are effecting imports. I would hope this shows that as a Nation we need to dramatically increase our manufacturing base, and pay for it rather than relying on cheap Chinese imports, so we can improve our economic standing - jobs created, money to spend locally, building our strengths.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 07 Jun 2021, 19:58

FIat Capper wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 11:43 And I'm clutching at straws...but, let me see if I've read your comments correctly.

Being part of the EU and the strong allegiances we had, both economically and in defence, were a strangle on our great nation and we could not survive in the world?

But, to tackle the huge threat from the likes of Russia and China we need strong allegiances with the likes of Norway (a neutral country) and Sweden as well as other Northern EU countries so we can effectively fight against those wishing to take over the world. Even a economic bond with these like-for-like countries would benefit Great Britain & NI?

Presumably this would be even more effective if we let the Greeks (bordering the East), the Spanish (gateway to/from Africa) and Italy (again, easy access from Africa) fight on their own. Use them as collateral damage so to speak leaving our group of allies safe and sound with the enemies at the door?

Sounds great...

Anyway, I've just read the warnings about the difficulties of obtaining day-to-day goods as various aspects of trouble and strife around the world are effecting imports. I would hope this shows that as a Nation we need to dramatically increase our manufacturing base, and pay for it rather than relying on cheap Chinese imports, so we can improve our economic standing - jobs created, money to spend locally, building our strengths.
Russia are building military installations in the Northern Climes and some very frightening stuff is going on there with weaponry and the northern gateway through Norway/Sweden/Finland and Denmark has just got a lot more urgent to protect as Russia has very easy access being a Border Country rather than what they have through the Med Countries and Russia is after the huge resources that a melting Arctic is now presenting which they are rushing in to take control.
I could envision the USA being a key support partner in the Med to protect that region in having various ties with Saudi/Israel who have latest military tech and I would perceive Italy/France and even Turkey forming an alliance to stop any Soviet threat on the southern front.

It would make sense to build a military and strategic alliance with the Baltic Countries as they have some very clever and astute tech enterprises and would make every bit of sense geographically and that would/should include Germany where a concerted strengthening of security is going to be paramount.

Yes I agree that we need to roll back dependence on China's cheap imports and re-start locally which is going to be very difficult when China is using cheap and also slave labour to produce goods which we obviously cannot compete against on cost. Anyway, I have a strong suspicion that China will go to war in taking over the South China Sea initially with taking over Taiwan and will go after the Phillipines and then on to Oz !! The question is, can the USA stop them ........ I very much doubt it and may back away as it would cause WW3 and that is what China is threatening right now and also banking on to build their power base !!

Pure Speculation but one to watch !!!!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 08 Jun 2021, 12:03

The northern European situation is very interesting and I simply cannot understand why the whole of Europe shouldn't be working together on it. One of the many reasons why I still think we work better together and I hope Brexit won't prevent this entirely as I feel working solely with the Baltic nations may not be enough.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 08 Jun 2021, 14:28

FIat Capper wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:03 The northern European situation is very interesting and I simply cannot understand why the whole of Europe shouldn't be working together on it. One of the many reasons why I still think we work better together and I hope Brexit won't prevent this entirely as I feel working solely with the Baltic nations may not be enough.
Problem with the whole of Europe as a whole is that the Northern Situated Countries are more affluent and harder working than the Southern Countries and are more aligned to creating technological breakthroughs - if you look at the past 40 years you will see that it was the Northern Countries paying into the EU and the Southern Countries being predominantly bailed out and that is why the EU project in my opinion was/is never going to fully work and be fair, hence Brexit happening. It is like comparing German "VorsprungDurchTechnik" to "BasketPlace" Greece smashing plates at Dinner (i.e. them paying out pensions at 55 and no contributions going in and getting a massive Loan from the EU to cover their shortfall at contributing nations taxpayers expense!!).

There is behind the scenes work going on to form Northern Alliances of that I am pretty sure so let's get these established and strongly efficient before we go about trying to help those greedy Spain/Greece and France included countries giving us a good nasty kicking on Gibraltar/Fishing for example while smiling their heads off when the tourist £ is bring in Gazillions for them and welcoming us with open arms while we have our wallets open !!!!

Yes it is protectionist type of move from a Northern Europe perspective but you now look at how efficient both Russia and China have become and unfortunately we need to start thinking about ourselves and out of the box before we (and other European Countries) get swallowed up and taken over and where we need to be ready for all eventualities !! Getting Strong would mean it could trickle down at a later stage to South Europe and, like you want Capper, which is a strong EU, run and done correctly rather than corrupt Brussels making stupid/bipartisan decisions and feathering their own nest in a very in-efficient way as to what was in all probability really going on !!

UK/Sweden/Germany/Denmark/Finland/Netherlands/Poland forming a "Super EU" along with some smaller nations like Switzerland Austria Rep of Ireland etc would be a great alliance in my opinion with Tech/Military cooperative sharing and........ "Free Trade" !! A Much Smarter way !!! The EU is antiquated and with outdated methods !!

Some Countries like Sweden and Switzerland are about ready to form trade agreements with us and that really tells me a story that other countries are starting to think outside of the EU run dictatorship and see a better pathway like Brexit Britain has now embarked on !!

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 10 Jun 2021, 11:44

UK secures new deal with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

The UK has agreed a new trade deal with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein that will see significant tariff reductions on British food and drink products such as cheese, meat, wine and spirits. In addition, reduced import taxes on the UK fishing sector will support around 18,000 industry jobs in northern England and Scotland.

This comes as another boost to Scotland and for the food and drink sector after the UK and Australia agreed on the removal of a 5% tariff on whisky exports.

International Trade Secretary, Liz Truss, said: “Today’s deal will be a major boost for our trade with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, growing an economic relationship already worth £21.6 billion, while supporting jobs and prosperity in all four nations at home.”

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 12 Jun 2021, 20:01

Brexit mega-pact! Boris eyes extraordinary £58BN trade bonanza in South America
Bill McLoughlin 10 hrs ago

Now free from the EU post-Brexit, one MP told Express.co.uk the UK was ready to "reset the clock" on its trade history with the continent. Mark Menzies, trade envoy for Peru, Chile, Argentina and Columbia revealed the opportunities for trade with the continent were "absolutely huge" for the UK. The Government has already signed deals with Columbia, Peru and Chile now the UK has left the EU, which Mr Menzies claimed caused Britain's presence in some parts of the world to die.

Indeed, before the Second World War, the UK had been a major trading partner in South America but that trade trailed off after joining the bloc in 1973.

Speaking to Express.co.uk, Mr Menzies said: "In terms of growth, it is going to be absolutely huge.

"And bear in mind, we are starting from a low base.

"So the growth levels, potentially can be very large."

In particular, the UK could see growth in terms of infrastructure, agriculture, green energy and education the MP for Fylde claimed.

In 2019, the UK signed continuity agreements with the three South American countries which replicated the existing deals with the EU.

While the deals may be valued lowly currently, the opportunity for increased trade is massive for the UK due to the exciting new opportunities for businesses.

Although some have criticised the UK's exit, Mr Menzies insisted the South American countries have viewed Britain's departure as an exciting chance to boost trade.

Mr Menzies added: "In some of the British press, you'd have felt that everyone was viewing the UK as being isolationist.

"That Brexit was a bad thing but not at all, these countries were all wanting trade deals, they were wanting an opportunity, they saw it as an opportunity across a whole range of sectors to do business with the UK.

"And they saw it as an opportunity to begin to reset the clock that was stopped when the UK joined the EU.

"So this was something that was, you know, really exciting for them.

"And I think one of the challenges known for us is to get British companies big and small, to start to get into markets that we may or may not have had a presence, you know, in some cases for decades."

In a further boost for UK plc, both Chile and Peru are members of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).

Accounting for 11 countries across the world, the alliance covers 500 million people.

By increasing trade with some of the member states, the UK has been able to begin proceedings to join the alliance.

On June 2, the CPTPP approved the UK's ascent to being the membership process which cut tariffs in a wide range of sectors.

As part of the alliance, it is hoped the drop in tariffs could build on the £58billion in goods the UK exports to the 11 countries.

Commenting on the membership, Ms Truss said: "CPTTP membership is a huge opportunity for Britain.

"It will help shift our economic centre of gravity away from Europe towards faster-growing parts of the world, and deepen our access to massive consumer markets in the Asia-Pacific.

"We would get all the benefits of joining a high-standards free trade area, but without having to cede control of our borders, money or laws."

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 15 Jun 2021, 12:37

No news on the Aussie 'free trade' deal CasRus?

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 15 Jun 2021, 17:48

FIat Capper wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 12:37 No news on the Aussie 'free trade' deal CasRus?
Naaa !! Mainstream news channels beat me to it and I know you would have already clocked it !!

Like I've always said, it's a big world for trade out there without being tied to the apron strings of the EU who are persistently trying to damage our ability to succeed as a warning to other EU countries who are thinking of leaving ! The cracks in the EU are already appearing !!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 16 Jun 2021, 06:28

I’m confused CasRus, weren’t we told new trade deals were supposed to take years if not decades??

Another Project Fear scare story!

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 16 Jun 2021, 09:44

alftupper wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 06:28 I’m confused CasRus, weren’t we told new trade deals were supposed to take years if not decades??

Hi Alf, nice to hear from you.

Yep the batsmen for remaining put out a load of scare and now they are being caught out "Leg Before Wicket" !!

A very interesting stat released today shows that as "Queensbury Rules" UK have tried to work with the EU on smoothing imports, they haven't and the stats show they have increased imports from Russia (of all countries !) and have decreased our exports to the EU !!!!!!!

It catagorically shows that we are being taken for mugs yet again by the EU and the think tank who have provided these stats recommend that Boris tear up the agreement with the EU as we would be far better off going with WTO rules !!

I think Boris will seriously look at this over the next week or two and test the EU in respect of the sausage wars presently going on and I can see that if the EU do not cut some slack, then I can see that this may happen and we will ultimately go to WTO rules !

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 16 Jun 2021, 12:27

CasRus wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 09:44
alftupper wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 06:28 I’m confused CasRus, weren’t we told new trade deals were supposed to take years if not decades??

Yep the batsmen for remaining put out a load of scare and now they are being caught out "Leg Before Wicket" !!

A very interesting stat released today shows that as "Queensbury Rules" UK have tried to work with the EU on smoothing imports, they haven't and the stats show they have increased imports from Russia (of all countries !) and have decreased our exports to the EU !!!!!!!

It catagorically shows that we are being taken for mugs yet again by the EU and the think tank who have provided these stats recommend that Boris tear up the agreement with the EU as we would be far better off going with WTO rules !!

I think Boris will seriously look at this over the next week or two and test the EU in respect of the sausage wars presently going on and I can see that if the EU do not cut some slack, then I can see that this may happen and we will ultimately go to WTO rules !
So agreements don't take years to develop but yet we have to make a new one with the EU because the rushed one isn't working.

Love the contradiction!

Anyway, I'll look forward to spending the additional £1.20 a year I'll have in my pocket following the removal of tariff's on the potential 0.02% increase in GDP from the Aussie deal. A deal which ALL experts are saying pails into insignificance when compared to the markets available in the EU, the EU that contains many countries you're desperate to do deals with.

No one doubts the new deals will provide opportunities but they have to because we (by leaving the EU) have removed opportunities elsewhere. Still robbing Peter to pay Paul.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 16 Jun 2021, 17:17

FIat Capper wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 12:27
CasRus wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 09:44

So agreements don't take years to develop but yet we have to make a new one with the EU because the rushed one isn't working.

Love the contradiction!

Anyway, I'll look forward to spending the additional £1.20 a year I'll have in my pocket following the removal of tariff's on the potential 0.02% increase in GDP from the Aussie deal. A deal which ALL experts are saying pails into insignificance when compared to the markets available in the EU, the EU that contains many countries you're desperate to do deals with.

No one doubts the new deals will provide opportunities but they have to because we (by leaving the EU) have removed opportunities elsewhere. Still robbing Peter to pay Paul.

You never change Capper with the Glass Half Empty outlook ?

Cheer Up and strap yourself in for the ride and take that head of yours out of your half empty glass and things might be a bit more of an optimistic good feel vibes for you instead of that "We are all Doomed" outlook !! ........... Just Saying !! or is it safe to say it could be a good idea to book you as a warm up act at someone's funeral !! :D :D only joking !!

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 17 Jun 2021, 11:09

Here's another reason why you should be cheerful Capper just announced:-

US trade deal breakthrough: Liz Truss makes huge step forward after tariff agreement
Dan Falvey, Political Correspondent 1 hour ago

International trade secretary Liz Truss hailed plans to take Britain's trade relationship with the US "to the next level" after talks in London yesterday. A face-to-face meeting with US trade representative Katherine Tai led to a breakthrough in a dispute over subsidies to aviation firms Boeing and Airbus that has long been a friction point in relations between America and Europe.

While a member of the EU, the UK was forced to impose duties on some American imports accusing Washington of unfairly supporting the US-based Boeing company.

Measures were imposed by the White House on the EU after it similarly accused European companies of unfairly subsidising Airbus.

The row badly impacted UK industries such as cashmere, machinery, and single-malt Scotch whisky.

When Britain was freed from Brussels rules at the start of the year, ministers unilaterally suspended tariffs in the hope of deescalating tensions, with the US following suit.

Today's announcement is a longer-term solution to the 17-year trade dispute, the longest in the World Trade Organisation's history.

Ms Truss said: "This deal will support jobs across the country and is fantastic news for major employers like Scotch whisky and sectors like aerospace.

"We took the decision to de-escalate the dispute at the start of the year when we became a sovereign trading nation, which was crucial to breaking the deadlock and bringing the US to the table.

"I want to thank Katherine personally for her role in making this happen.

"Today's deal draws a line under an incredibly damaging issue and means we can focus on taking our trading relationship with the US to the next level, including working more closely to challenge unfair practices by nations like China and using the power of free trade to build back better from the pandemic."

The agreement had helped bolster trading relations between the UK and US administrations ahead of eagerly anticipated free trade deal negotiations anticipated to begin within the next 12 months.

Under the terms of the trade remedy announced today, the UK and US have agreed to strengthen cooperation in the large civil aircraft sector.

Financing of Boeing and Airbus will only take place on market terms and the results of any research and development as a result of Government investment will be shared more widely.

Anti-competition practices from countries such as China will also be jointly tackled under the agreement brokered yesterday.

The Scotch whisky industry has welcomed news the US will not impose tariffs on the spirit for five years following the breakthrough talks.

Karen Betts, chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association, said: "This is very good news for Scotch whisky.

"The past two years have been extremely damaging for our industry, with the loss of over £600million in exports to the United States caused by a 25 percent tariff on single malt Scotch whisky imposed as a result of the long-running dispute between US and European aircraft manufacturers."

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 17 Jun 2021, 11:49

If we've got better access to the US, what has the US gained from the deal then, easier access to flood our markets......again?

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 17 Jun 2021, 13:26

FIat Capper wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:49 If we've got better access to the US, what has the US gained from the deal then, easier access to flood our markets......again?
Thanks for Just another of your glass half empty statements Capper !!

Free Trade flows in both directions and yes the USA probably has more to throw at us than we have to them but it's a consumer to decide their choice and their cost and quality assessment at the end of the day ! Better to form these trade agreements than be blackmailed by the EU with all their crappy underhand tactics that they are still all about !!

Also, what you are not taking into account is the strategic security tied in benefits from all this in closer alliances from the USA and Australia etc in combating the massive moves that China and Russia are embarking on with huge military spend they have embarked on with hypersonic missile tech, AI controlled stealth fighter jets and stealth warships fitted with the very latest cloaking technology - If you look closely at what they have been and are doing there is intention to take us all over and be subservient while we have been asleep at the wheel, anyone would agree we are in all likelihood in imminent danger !

We need closer ties with both USA and Oz along with other countries to try to stymie these moves by authoritarian regimes and give them a reason to not upset the world security apple cart otherwise we can all kiss our arses goodbye !!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 17 Jun 2021, 15:23

CasRus wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:26
FIat Capper wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:49 If we've got better access to the US, what has the US gained from the deal then, easier access to flood our markets......again?
Also, what you are not taking into account is the strategic security tied in benefits from all this in closer alliances from the USA and Australia etc in combating the massive moves that China and Russia are embarking on with huge military spend they have embarked on with hypersonic missile tech, AI controlled stealth fighter jets and stealth warships fitted with the very latest cloaking technology - If you look closely at what they have been and are doing there is intention to take us all over and be subservient while we have been asleep at the wheel, anyone would agree we are in all likelihood in imminent danger !

We need closer ties with both USA and Oz along with other countries to try to stymie these moves by authoritarian regimes and give them a reason to not upset the world security apple cart otherwise we can all kiss our arses goodbye !!
Thanks for another glass half empty view of the EU with whom we had strong ties, co-operation and a trade block that could compete with many around the world but hey ho.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul...

How's Norther Ireland going..?

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 17 Jun 2021, 16:17

FIat Capper wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 15:23
CasRus wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:26

Thanks for another glass half empty view of the EU with whom we had strong ties, co-operation and a trade block that could compete with many around the world but hey ho.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul...

How's Norther Ireland going..?
To be brutally honest, I hope it doesn't go well and we finish tearing up the agreement with the EU and onto WTO rules so we can stop fannying around with the EU who have thrown a lot of intransigence at us !!

At least we will all know where we are at and where experts are saying it would be best for us !