Castleford town centre

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Castleford town centre

Post by Piquad1 » 04 Jan 2020, 10:52

Just been looking at old photos of Castleford. And couldn't really believe how things have changed. God I remember when we used to spend plenty of time in cas market the old one under the clock. I think most people used to meet under the clock and then stroll round the market. There always seemed to be something to do in the town.i don't know if anyone remembers the Waltzer ride at back of Mr Terry's clothing shop but what a laugh we used to have there. I know all the pits closing had a massive impact on the town but what a shame the town has suffered. Still no point crying over spilt milk they say. But God I miss the old town didn't realise how much till I saw the old photos and the river covering everyone in foam. Oh happy days lol. :-({|=

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Castleford town centre

Post by duke street 10 » 04 Jan 2020, 17:33

The town centre is looking very tired now sadly...and some unpleasant characters lurking around unfortunately. Thing is town centre's up and down the country have the same problem.

As a nostalgia trip i can remember spending some pleasant days in Queens Park during the summers.It was very picturesque and there was plenty to keep us young un's entertained !. I can also just about remember being in the paddling pool in the Valley Gardens on a scorching hot day, given how busy it was (and the queue for the ice creams) it may have been the summer of 76.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 04 Jan 2020, 17:53

The town centre will suffer more now. (see local news outlets)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Jan 2020, 18:41

Some good words mate I remember how cas used to be and happy days spent totally different now the town's a dump and there's a feeling of danger lurking I feel that anyway But most places in this country are the same I'm afraid and it won't be changing back for a better way anytime soon I don't think
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 05 Jan 2020, 05:46

Yea I agree with comments. But still a shame my home town just decaying and as stated earlier some shady characters lurking about. Anyway I suppose life just ticks on but sometimes I think it's nice just to remember what fun we had in the old town. If anyone wants a nostalgia trip put twixtairandcalder in your browser to see old photos. And thanks for replying guys happy new year.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 11 Jan 2020, 09:20

Only mentioned last week how the town has changed Now Davison and Robinson fruit merchants have announced they are closing. Just another nail in the town centre coffin. They should just shut them all down and then demolish the town and have done with it once and for all.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 24 Jan 2020, 07:23

Read an article somewhere about the dissapearing pubs in Pontefract. Which made me think of the ones we've lost in Castleford . Now let me try to remember starting on Bridge street/Keel Inn/Miners Arms/on your way up the road I think the Star and Garter was on the left. At the top was the Ship/ bottom of Carlton Street I believe the Prince of Wales Feathers/ then up to the Carlton/further up the road ther was a club but cannot remember what it was called near what used to be Pound world or pound stretcher. Going a bit left I believe /Route 66/ The Tartan bar/ and North Eastern hotel/ Aire street Horse and Jockey/ Mexborough Arms/ somewhere around there I seem to remember the Garden House but some people called it the Red House?/ Aire street I forgot the Crimea Tavern/further up near bus station was I think the Trades and Labour club some good bands on there at the weekend. I've probs missed a few but if anyone remembers throw it in just a bit of fun pass half an hour on. Cheers

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jan 2020, 13:27

Piquad1 wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 07:23 Read an article somewhere about the dissapearing pubs in Pontefract. Which made me think of the ones we've lost in Castleford . Now let me try to remember starting on Bridge street/Keel Inn/Miners Arms/on your way up the road I think the Star and Garter was on the left. At the top was the Ship/ bottom of Carlton Street I believe the Prince of Wales Feathers/ then up to the Carlton/further up the road ther was a club but cannot remember what it was called near what used to be Pound world or pound stretcher. Going a bit left I believe /Route 66/ The Tartan bar/ and North Eastern hotel/ Aire street Horse and Jockey/ Mexborough Arms/ somewhere around there I seem to remember the Garden House but some people called it the Red House?/ Aire street I forgot the Crimea Tavern/further up near bus station was I think the Trades and Labour club some good bands on there at the weekend. I've probs missed a few but if anyone remembers throw it in just a bit of fun pass half an hour on. Cheers
Royal British Legion
Liberal
Maestro
Mexborough
Hightown
Yorkshire Rose (Aketon Road)
Commercial Inn
Langtree Park
Shoulder of Mutton

There was also a pub just up from the Commercial which is now a row of apartment / flats.
Last edited by Fumper27 on 24 Jan 2020, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jan 2020, 13:28

Piquad1 wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 07:23 Read an article somewhere about the dissapearing pubs in Pontefract. Which made me think of the ones we've lost in Castleford . Now let me try to remember starting on Bridge street/Keel Inn/Miners Arms/on your way up the road I think the Star and Garter was on the left. At the top was the Ship/ bottom of Carlton Street I believe the Prince of Wales Feathers/ then up to the Carlton/further up the road ther was a club but cannot remember what it was called near what used to be Pound world or pound stretcher. Going a bit left I believe /Route 66/ The Tartan bar/ and North Eastern hotel/ Aire street Horse and Jockey/ Mexborough Arms/ somewhere around there I seem to remember the Garden House but some people called it the Red House?/ Aire street I forgot the Crimea Tavern/further up near bus station was I think the Trades and Labour club some good bands on there at the weekend. I've probs missed a few but if anyone remembers throw it in just a bit of fun pass half an hour on. Cheers
Royal British Legion
Liberal
Maestro
Mexborough
Hightown
Commercial Inn
Shoulder of Mutton

There was also a pub just up from the Commercial which is now a row of apartment / flats.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 24 Jan 2020, 15:15

Isn't the British legion and liberal clubs still open.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 24 Jan 2020, 15:17

As.for shoulder of mutton is that down potteries. Oh I forgot garden house on Sheldon road. Cheers fumper good shout m8

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jan 2020, 15:24

Piquad1 wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 15:15 Isn't the British legion and liberal clubs still open.
Legion was closed this week by the authorities due to all the Richard Craniums fighting in their all the time.

I know the liberal became Castleford Sports & Social but not sure if still open.

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 24 Jan 2020, 15:39

Gardeners arms, Engineers, George and Dragon, Alma, Britannia, Crimea and there's a lot more gone.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 24 Jan 2020, 16:20

God didn't realise how many had gone. An alcoholic s nightmare lol.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 24 Jan 2020, 17:13

Fumper27 wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:28
Royal British Legion
Liberal
Maestro
Mexborough
Hightown
Commercial Inn
Shoulder of Mutton

Was it the Black Bull you were thinking of Fumper

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jan 2020, 17:35

fast hands wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 17:13
Royal British Legion
Liberal
Maestro
Mexborough
Hightown
Commercial Inn
Shoulder of Mutton

No mate. The Bull is opposite Savile Park. The one in thinking of was situated on the land between the Commercial Inn and the Hightown Convenience Store. It was a white building and has some flats built on there now

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jan 2020, 18:45

Weren't that the Hightown
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 24 Jan 2020, 19:44

God I forgot about the royal engineers think I went in it a couple of times. Not sure but I think I saw the band Method there.

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 24 Jan 2020, 20:38

Fumper27 wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 17:35
fast hands wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 17:13
Royal British Legion
Liberal
Maestro
Mexborough
Hightown
Commercial Inn
Shoulder of Mutton

No mate. The Bull is opposite Savile Park. The one in thinking of was situated on the land between the Commercial Inn and the Hightown Convenience Store. It was a white building and has some flats built on there now
It was the Alma that then became the four ferrets

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 24 Jan 2020, 22:01

there was also the albion inn which was situated where sainsbury's car park is now. just round the corner from the george and dragon was the bridge inn which became the spangled bull (honestly lol) and by the railway bridge on bridge street was the railway hotel. loads more down the potteries and wheldon road. there was also a very large pub called the castle where the 5 towns centre is now. they own all the fields below which stretched all the way to cambridge street. this is how it got the name "castle fields" because the fields were owned by "the castle"
jo brand is eddie warings love child