Walker

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Walker

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 22:49

http://www.bathrugby.com/5333_5339.php

Slightly interesting that Bath have Chev down as a forward. I can understand Farrell playing back row in RU but would have thought Chev's age and lack of injuries make him ideal for the backs.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Walker

Post by Wicksy » 07 Sep 2006, 22:51

Steadman_4_PM wrote:http://www.bathrugby.com/5333_5339.php

Slightly interesting that Bath have Chev down as a forward. I can understand Farrell playing back row in RU but would have thought Chev's age and lack of injuries make him ideal for the backs.
Believe it or not, they don't consider him fast enough . True i kid you not .

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Walker

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 22:55

Wicksy wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:http://www.bathrugby.com/5333_5339.php

Believe it or not, they don't consider him fast enough . True i kid you not .
Hmmmm. :???:

They did well last season, but that was Brian Ashton's influence. Think they are going to struggle somewhat this season.

If Walker is too slow, I'd say he also has to be too weak to be part of their back row. They have 2 or 3 really powerfull players in those positions.

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 07 Sep 2006, 22:56

Agree .

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

old cas lass

Post by old cas lass » 07 Sep 2006, 23:01

who cares... :-D

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:10

babs wrote:who cares... :-D
To be honest Babs, I do, for a few reasons. 1st off, he's IMO a decent British RL player whom given the right coaching could become a very very good player. At Leeds he's been pushed round from wing, the centre to 2nd row rather than finding 'his best' position. He has talent, just not sure they have got the best out of him.

On top of that, he's a player we (RL) have lost to RU. Regardless of the club concerned, its a loss to our sport.

Good luck to him, hope he does well. I just see his position being outside centre or wing. He's got an outside chance of a RU Wordl Cup spot for 2007 should he fit in well.

old cas lass

Post by old cas lass » 07 Sep 2006, 23:14

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
To be honest Babs, I do, for a few reasons. 1st off, he's IMO a decent British RL player whom given the right coaching could become a very very good player. At Leeds he's been pushed round from wing, the centre to 2nd row rather than finding 'his best' position. He has talent, just not sure they have got the best out of him.

On top of that, he's a player we (RL) have lost to RU. Regardless of the club concerned, its a loss to our sport.

Good luck to him, hope he does well. I just see his position being outside centre or wing. He's got an outside chance of a RU Wordl Cup spot for 2007 should he fit in well.

Sorry steady just had to much to drink :-D i dont really care tomuch about leeds players......would'nt mind a certain number 6 down lane though

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:15

Like I said, not annoyed by this because he's a Loiner, more because he's a loss from RL.

tiger-tomo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tiger-tomo » 07 Sep 2006, 23:17

Steadman_4_PM wrote:

true mate , i just believe that he needs to bulk up a little bit for RU . he never seemed to have a lot of strength and i think he will struggle in his first few union games to get use to the physical nature and difference of the 2 sports .

can't remember where i heard it but i heard that a RU side were poaching karl pryce and i realised that he would be an outstanding union player , and i realised that given the right coaching he could be the next jonah lomu . massive build , and a great turn of pace . but again would be a great loss if he was to switch codes.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:27

tiger-tomo wrote:can't remember where i heard it but i heard that a RU side were poaching karl pryce and i realised that he would be an outstanding union player , and i realised that given the right coaching he could be the next jonah lomu . massive build , and a great turn of pace . but again would be a great loss if he was to switch codes.
Agreed, Pryce may well be better suited to RU but I don't think even bulked up, you can really compare him to Lomu.

Big Jonah was (and still is) a freak. He was just like Tuigamala yet about a foot taller and a fair bit quicker, stronger and the rest. For Pryce and Chev to make it in RU, they really arelimited in where they can play positionally unless they have hidden kicking skills we don't know about.

True they aren't required to kick in RL but a winger, fullback or inside centre in RU absolutely must be able to kick from hand, plus other than centre the others must also be strong under a high ball. When did you last see those 2 really tested under a high ball? Kicking simply isn;t the same quality in RL as RU.

Remember Gareth Raynor trying his luck in RU with Leicster? He was billed as the next Jason Robinson but for a player who started his career at Pontefract RU so must have know the game, he definately failed to impress. Has come back to RL a better player though IMO, perhaps that was just training / fitness / strength though.

tiger-tomo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tiger-tomo » 07 Sep 2006, 23:35

i don't think we've seen the best of karl pryce though yet . i think he is a hell of a lot better then his brother leon and i think he is just going to get better and better , providing he makes the right career choices . the lad is still only 20 and is already proving himself as a world-class winger/centre . yes i agree with the point you have made about the kicking in RU but still i think he could be an excellent union player and if not i feel sorry for whoever gets in the way of this lad when he's at full toe .

Normy Knight
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Normy Knight » 07 Sep 2006, 23:35

babs wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:

Sorry steady just had to much to drink :-D i dont really care tomuch about leeds players......would'nt mind a certain number 6 down lane though
Ain't we got enough Dannys :P
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.
http://www.normantonknights.co.uk

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:38

tiger-tomo wrote:i don't think we've seen the best of karl pryce though yet . i think he is a hell of a lot better then his brother leon and i think he is just going to get better and better , providing he makes the right career choices . the lad is still only 20 and is already proving himself as a world-class winger/centre . yes i agree with the point you have made about the kicking in RU but still i think he could be an excellent union player and if not i feel sorry for whoever gets in the way of this lad when he's at full toe .
Worldclass? You sure?

As for Leon, well he's a different player. Saints have finally given him what he wanted and a place as a stand off. I personally feel his best position is fullback where he can join the line in attack, but stand off or fullback are both better suited to him than wing or centre IMO.

tiger-tomo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tiger-tomo » 07 Sep 2006, 23:39

Normy Knight wrote:
babs wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:

didn't leeds offer us danny maguire a while back but we declined for some reason or another . another fine decision from the people in charge of the club :lol:

although i may be wrong so feel free not to listen to a word i say :-D

Casman2
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Casman2 » 07 Sep 2006, 23:40

tiger-tomo wrote:
Normy Knight wrote:
babs wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:

didn't leeds offer us danny maguire a while back but we declined for some reason or another . another fine decision from the people in charge of the club :lol:

We had a chance to sign McGuire and Burrow before they joined Leeds and Steady said that they wouldnt amount to anything :roll:
~*~ Dave Loves Carli ~*~

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:42

Casman2 wrote:
tiger-tomo wrote:
Normy Knight wrote:
babs wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote: To be honest Babs, I do, for a few reasons. 1st off, he's IMO a decent British RL player whom given the right coaching could become a very very good player. At Leeds he's been pushed round from wing, the centre to 2nd row rather than finding 'his best' position. He has talent, just not sure they have got the best out of him.

We had a chance to sign McGuire and Burrow before they joined Leeds and Steady said that they wouldnt amount to anything :roll:
Did I? ;-)

tiger-tomo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tiger-tomo » 07 Sep 2006, 23:42

Casman2 wrote:
tiger-tomo wrote:
Normy Knight wrote:
babs wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote: To be honest Babs, I do, for a few reasons. 1st off, he's IMO a decent British RL player whom given the right coaching could become a very very good player. At Leeds he's been pushed round from wing, the centre to 2nd row rather than finding 'his best' position. He has talent, just not sure they have got the best out of him.

i thought so . 2 words sum up this , and they are : oh dear . #-o #-o #-o

Casman2
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Casman2 » 07 Sep 2006, 23:46

tiger-tomo wrote:
Casman2 wrote:
tiger-tomo wrote:
Normy Knight wrote:
babs wrote:

I was thinking "stupid" and "t..." :lol: :lol:
~*~ Dave Loves Carli ~*~

tiger-tomo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tiger-tomo » 07 Sep 2006, 23:48

Casman2 wrote:
tiger-tomo wrote:
Casman2 wrote:
tiger-tomo wrote:
Normy Knight wrote: Ain't we got enough Dannys :P

I was thinking "stupid" and "t..." :lol: :lol:
no the t comes at the end . you spell it liek this c . . . :lol: :lol:

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:48

Very easy to point the finger and say it was a bad decision. However, think of it like this. Burrow is very small, a dwarf some would say and you can hardly blame a club for suggesting he might just be a bit too small.

The coaching he has had at Leeds has not made him run fast, that was natural, however he's certainly been taught how to play rugby. Perhaos that was lacking when we had a look, hence he wasn't signed.

There are numerous examples of players in all sports being discarded or over looked by clubs only to make it big later on. Coaching plays a big part for sure.

Don't quite think you can really blame anyone on this.