Sherwin swap deal

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 23 Aug 2008, 19:29

Looks like my source in Aus was on the money again . ;)

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 23 Aug 2008, 20:54

Injury has prevented the 30-year-old from making an impact at the Tigers, who have contacted the Raiders about the potential transfer.
Hasn't made an impact? Injuries keeping him out? Sherwin has been great for us this season and he hasn't been injured that many times.

Article is tripe.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 23 Aug 2008, 21:28

Poorly written Matt, and lacking in sources and any real statements. It's clear they've tried to make a big article out of nothing.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 23 Aug 2008, 22:25

Jack Bauer wrote:It wouldn't be a swap as such, just Cas trying to offload Sherwins contract onto another club.
Once again wrong

There is no other club in the world that would pay Sherwins contract - In fact he would be lucky to get within 50k of it.
I wouldnt like us to offer carney 100k either -- Give him 80k in yr 1- And make himself prove his worth - he is the one desperate not us

As for Sherwin he is a great HB in a shocking team - I do believe this and he will benefit next year because of the size we may have in our pack
In the short run i am more looking forward to a Shifty - Chase partnership than a Chase carney one - But this would only be for next year - In the long term you would have to side with Carneys youth

And after this i wouldnt believe the article
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 24 Aug 2008, 00:03

As I see it, Carney has been sacked already, so is free to negotiate with any club outside Australia (unless he moves to union). We therefore can't offer to 'swap' Sherwin, but could offer him to Canberra and then hope that his wages would attract Carney. These would be two very seperate deals.

JungleRumble
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JungleRumble » 24 Aug 2008, 09:33

Sherwin cant tackle, poor kicking game and is coming to the end of his career. Rather have a young lad with something to prove rather than an ageing player picking up a retirement fund

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 24 Aug 2008, 09:37

JungleRumble wrote:Sherwin cant tackle, poor kicking game and is coming to the end of his career. Rather have a young lad with something to prove rather than an ageing player picking up a retirement fund
Something to prove? Carney and his agent have already sounded out the NRL about his registration for 2010, ie can he go amuse himself in SL for a year before going back home the year after.

People talked about Shifty having issues with grog, but the worst that even happened at the Dogs was him being dumped into the reserve grade. Carney, after being given chance after chance, has been sacked completely and no NRL club is being allowed to sign him for 09......... or is it just for 08? :?

Either way yes he's younger then Shifty, but he also has much bigger issues off the field. We're hardly renowned for stamping out drinking at Cas are we so maybe not the best idea to get him over here no matter how much talent he has.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 24 Aug 2008, 09:39

Carney has had chance after chance in Australia, he is a renowned headcase (especially after a few beers). He is most definately not worth the risk.

Paul Cooke was a potentially bad signing because of his off field problems this guy is a hundred times worse than Cooke. The reason he got sacked was probably one of the most shocking off field incidents there has been (hence his one year ban from the NRL).

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html

Mr. Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mr. Tiger » 24 Aug 2008, 10:14

tallguyx wrote:Carney has had chance after chance in Australia, he is a renowned headcase (especially after a few beers). He is most definately not worth the risk.

Paul Cooke was a potentially bad signing because of his off field problems this guy is a hundred times worse than Cooke. The reason he got sacked was probably one of the most shocking off field incidents there has been (hence his one year ban from the NRL).

based on that story he will fit right in at cas!!!!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 24 Aug 2008, 10:33

Now I know it's not true...his agent is not Rowan. So that one is put to bed then.

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 24 Aug 2008, 11:51

tallguyx wrote:Carney has had chance after chance in Australia, he is a renowned headcase (especially after a few beers). He is most definately not worth the risk.

Yes I have to say after reading that, it doesn't sound too clever and I'll have to seriously review my earlier post. There have been many similar examples of top / great players early in their careers. One of the greatest in modern times, Ellery Hanley, did an 18 month prison stint for repeated offences, and it was only a few years ago that Leon Pryce very luckily also escaped 'doing time' for assault and committing what was a really nasty action on a 44 years or something bloke. I can think of many more that went on to be star names and very professional on field, including 1 or 2 of ours.

However there are some that are just beyond redemption and Carney could be one of them. The fact is he's on 400,000 dollars a year over there which equates to 200k a year, which is a colossal amount even by NRL standards. You soon get found out in the NRL if you've any on field flaws and you don't get that amount, unless you can play a bit. So the man has obviously got talent.

But even after saying that, he obviously looks like he would constitute a major risk. The last thing we want at our club now, are players who are going to bring big off field problems, as we've already got 1 or 2 with a bit of 'previous' in this department.

The jury's out on this one.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

Normy Knight
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Normy Knight » 24 Aug 2008, 12:03

Hardly a role model is he, don't think he will hanging out with Widders.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.
http://www.normantonknights.co.uk

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 24 Aug 2008, 15:20

Sherwin this season as been pretty great in games but i would still love to see Todd Carney at Cas.

This would be a massive step for Cas and a huge signing.

Iv always said we need a stand off who is a natural rather than a player in another position filling in.

With the like of Mcguire, Pryce, Bosc etc i truly believe if Carney was to come we would have the best stand off in the SL.

I would like this deal to go ahead as i can't see Sherwin getting back to the form in is Bulldogs day whereas Carney is younger and ha years ahead of him.

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 25 Aug 2008, 01:06

Is it me or what, Carney has been sacked, therefore the so called deal is complete media garbage.If he's sacked then the club has no control over where he goes, so Sherwin being traded is utter crap

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 25 Aug 2008, 08:20

speedy wrote:Is it me or what, Carney has been sacked, therefore the so called deal is complete media garbage.If he's sacked then the club has no control over where he goes, so Sherwin being traded is utter crap
The only control they have is the year ban from NRL. They may have kept his NRL registration a bit like was the case with Jamie Lyon, so maybe when he does return they can have a say where.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

pontetiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pontetiger » 25 Aug 2008, 11:10

speedy wrote:Is it me or what, Carney has been sacked, therefore the so called deal is complete media garbage.If he's sacked then the club has no control over where he goes, so Sherwin being traded is utter crap
think its more that they will need to replace him and thier is not alot about in aus. and not many teams that could pay 2oo grand a year. for carney and we would have to release sherwin to be able to pay carneys wage. i hope it is crap.. sherwin to stay

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 25 Aug 2008, 13:19

According to TM on TigerTV, he new nothing about the Sherwin for Carney reports and said Sherwin will be here next season.

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 25 Aug 2008, 13:29

Then again TM doesn't seem to know that much about signings anyway with Robbo and RW taking the lead.
It would be a great coup if it came off, with Carney having his best playing days infront of him and Sherwin looking slow and on the slide.
Don't know about anyone else but some of our best rugby this year as been played with Dorn taking a more prominent role when Sherwin as been out or left the field early such as the Wake game recently.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 25 Aug 2008, 14:15

Apparently Sherwin want's out.

Is wife does'nt fancy another season in Cas/England!

Heard this off a few people now ..

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 25 Aug 2008, 14:41

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Apparently Sherwin want's out.

Is wife does'nt fancy another season in Cas/England!

Heard this off a few people now ..
i didn't even know he had a wife.