Brent Webb

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Brent Webb

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 20 Aug 2008, 01:20

Not much of a rumour, but was reading the homepage and it read this ..

the Tigers as they were expecting to lose current fullback Stuart Donlan to Leigh for next season and they also turned down the chance to sign Brent Webb from Leeds Rhino's.

Since when did we turn down a NZ international who is stated as the best fullback in the world?

I once heard of this news but the statement says 'turned down'!

Is this true, or is someone frickin kiddin me?

Seriously someone answer me this, since when have we been in a position to turn down players such as Brent Webb?
Last edited by WHELDON-ROAD-END on 20 Aug 2008, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 20 Aug 2008, 01:24

Could've sworn I'd seen this rumour several times.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 20 Aug 2008, 01:33

Flat Capper wrote:Could've sworn I'd seen this rumour several times.
I have aswell a few times infact, actually heard Leeds wanted Mcgoldrick or something and instead we could of had Webb .. How true i have absolutely no idea. Could swear i heard this news on the forum!

But then again you always after doubt people when they say that Brent Webb (accordingly best full back in the world) may be coming or rumours of the matter spread!

But to actually here we've turned him down is sickening and asks massive questions?!

Can anyone shed light on the matter?

classy cas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classy cas » 20 Aug 2008, 07:23

yes folks its true, another wonderful Cas pecker up.

I was told Brent Webbs agent offered him to cas, once they heard what certain cas players are getting for next season and beyond.

Because the club had done some of these stupid deals Brent was offered for 115,000 per season.

I dont know how long for but Cas or our CEO turned it down, and there excuse was couldn't afford the salary cap due to other players on stupid 4 year deals.

I would love to have watched a world class FB play in a tigers shirt and im sure he would have boosted the profile of the club aswell as season ticket sales and cas have marketed it well with him being a rhino coming to cas.

ayeup
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ayeup » 20 Aug 2008, 07:35

classy cas wrote:yes folks its true, another wonderful Cas pecker up.

I was told et, etc, etc....
Who told you?

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 20 Aug 2008, 09:53

Seen as it is my report i will explain

Brent Webb was trying to negotiate an improved contract with the Rhino's and unfortunately they are renown for their tight budget so told him if he wanted more cash to look elsewhere, He offered himself to Cas for 115k a year -- about 10k more than Mcgoldrick is reportedly on -- This is 100% true - brent webb could have been at cas

Richard Wrights answer to me when quizzed was We had to think why Leeds wanted to let him go and why Leeds wanted Mcgoldrick in return
Now seen as both players were out of contract there would have been no reason to let goldy go -- But IMO it would have been the best business the club have ever done getting Webb for Mcgoldrick

I was told though the club consulted Awen Guttenbeil about the signing and he declined saying we didnt need Brent Webb as we had Ryan Mcgoldrick - Now this bit may be a tad off the mark but i doubt it -- The rest is true -- We did reject Brent Webb
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 20 Aug 2008, 12:31

I think we really need somebody on board who can sort our finances out. Over the next 3 seasons every club is going to be on even terms so getting the best contract out of players will be crucial.

So far it's been rumoured that Korki is on 80k, McG on 105k, Sherwin again around 100k if we sign Hudson and that's correct then another 100k can be added on.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 20 Aug 2008, 13:03

dettoriman wrote:Seen as it is my report i will explain

Brent Webb was trying to negotiate an improved contract with the Rhino's and unfortunately they are renown for their tight budget so told him if he wanted more cash to look elsewhere, He offered himself to Cas for 115k a year -- about 10k more than Mcgoldrick is reportedly on -- This is 100% true - brent webb could have been at cas

Richard Wrights answer to me when quizzed was We had to think why Leeds wanted to let him go and why Leeds wanted Mcgoldrick in return
Now seen as both players were out of contract there would have been no reason to let goldy go -- But IMO it would have been the best business the club have ever done getting Webb for
Mcgoldrick

I was told though the club consulted Awen Guttenbeil about the signing and he declined saying we didnt need Brent Webb as we had Ryan Mcgoldrick - Now this bit may be a tad off the mark but i doubt it -- The rest is true -- We did reject Brent Webb
Guttenbiel what a plank !!

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by dettoriman » 20 Aug 2008, 13:36

Matt wrote:I think we really need somebody on board who can sort our finances out. Over the next 3 seasons every club is going to be on even terms so getting the best contract out of players will be crucial.

So far it's been rumoured that Korki is on 80k, McG on 105k, Sherwin again around 100k if we sign Hudson and that's correct then another 100k can be added on.
Add to those a couple of the home-grown talent who are been vastly overpaid as a result of the aussies contracts
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 20 Aug 2008, 14:25

CHRIST

The though of just having Brent Webb in our number 1 shirt is great.

I mean you cant blame Guttenbeil for not wanting to get rid of one of is mates and team mates can ya.

But having the best fullback in the world on your team seems for Cas just too much to ask for :roll:

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by dettoriman » 20 Aug 2008, 14:26

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:CHRIST

I mean you cant blame Guttenbeil for not wanting to get rid of one of is mates and team mates can ya.

But having the best fullback in the world on your team seems for Cas just too much to ask for :roll:
Dont go over the top - He isnt the best but he is a top international and i know mate -- The decision is possibly the most ridiculous i have ever heard - But it is true
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 20 Aug 2008, 14:28

dettoriman wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:CHRIST

Dont go over the top - He isnt the best but he is a top international and i know mate -- The decision is possibly the most ridiculous i have ever heard - But it is true
I believe ya, i heard the news where Leeds wanted Mcgoldrick but your never too sure are ya.

And i would put him in the top 3 then at least but still someone of is calibre being let go.

I just hope we can make up with Moi Moi coming as you said may be a possibility, hope your right!

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 20 Aug 2008, 14:32

dettoriman wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:But having the best fullback in the world on your team seems for Cas just too much to ask for :roll:
Dont go over the top
WHELDON-ROAD-END go over the top, never! :lol:

Brent Webb is a very good player, but there are a good few fullbacks playing in the NRL that are better than him.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 20 Aug 2008, 14:34

Slash wrote:
dettoriman wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:But having the best fullback in the world on your team seems for Cas just too much to ask for :roll:
Dont go over the top

Brent Webb is a very good player, but there are a good few fullbacks playing in the NRL that are better than him.
;)

True i guess.

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 20 Aug 2008, 21:32

Slash wrote:
dettoriman wrote:
Dont go over the top

... but none of them have been offered on a plate to Cas
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 20 Aug 2008, 21:52

dettoriman wrote:Seen as it is my report i will explain

Now seen as both players were out of contract there would have been no reason to let goldy go -- But IMO it would have been the best business the club have ever done getting Webb for Mcgoldrick

I also heard the Guttenbiel tale, but don't know how true it is or whether it's just rumour. The rest of Dettorimans post though is totally right and he's also right when he said we'd no need to let McGoldrick go if we didn't want to. We could have had them both.

The club have not denied it and in fact have confirmed it to some When I asked about Webb at the AGM, RW merely replied "I don't discuss individual players".

I agree there are some better full backs in OZ, it's a position over there where there is a plethora of riches, Hunt, Bowen, Slater etc etc to name just some. However Webb is still top class and as far as I'm concerned our lot wanted shooting for missing out on a golden opportunity. Still when you pursue a policy of not having anyone on the BOD with any idea when it comes to these things, it's what you get.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 20 Aug 2008, 22:46

Sigon wrote:Brent Webb is a very good player, but there are a good few fullbacks playing in the NRL that are better than him.
... but none of them have been offered on a plate to Cas[/quote]IMO Brent Webb is one of the main reasons Leeds have won some many games over the last couple of years. When he plays well they win, when he does or is out they lose.
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 21 Aug 2008, 02:19

Fact is we haven't got Webb we have Mcgoldrick who on is day can play as well as anyone and we know it!

Webb would of been fantastic, talk of the town kind of signing but instead we stayed with Mcgoldrick which in certain games as showed why.

Would of been nice to have Brent this season alone he as been up there with Paul Wellens and im most certainly sure he he is the 2nd top try scoring FB behind Greenshields.

Mcgoldrick also has is fair share of things as in the SL Stats on engage SL site, he comes in the top 4 of nearly everything.

So there's pros and cons to both players games.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 21 Aug 2008, 11:50

This is a story that reeks of being a load of rubbish. The Rhinos i know knew nothing about it!!!. The squad are a tight bunch too so make of that what you will...

Adam
Verified
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @yorkscoaster

Post by Adam » 21 Aug 2008, 11:55

tallguyx wrote:This is a story that reeks of being a load of rubbish. The Rhinos i know knew nothing about it!!!. The squad are a tight bunch too so make of that what you will...
Having said that, had any of us guessed that we were signing Sinoe ?? Just because fans haven't heard about it, doesn't mean it aint happening...