SuperLeague Predictions

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: SuperLeague Predictions

Post by Scoopage » 26 Jan 2022, 16:33

Il be disappointed if we don’t finish in the play offs with the squad we have.players like macca,evalds,mamo,fonoua,westerman,Edwards,trueman.plus some good quality around that.hit ground running and embracing the new era,play offs should be a minimum.think leeds will have a good year with the young lads having another season under there belt and seizer is class.Catalan some cracking nrl signings and saints are saints.nowt for wigan,warrington,hull I don’t think

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 26 Jan 2022, 18:20

heritage1926 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:13
Blackbulltiger wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 12:06
Fumper27 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 08:11
the changeling wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 02:50 Top 4 and a wembley win ........ at a canter
This. Our squad depth will help us this season. A few other squads are very shallow
get as big squad depth you want but when in wrong positions don't help much we stacked up we wingers. Cover in half backs and forwards is a big worry
We have 4 half back options, more than any other club in the league. Take every clubs current 6 and 7 out of the team and they'd have to play players we've probably never heard of. Take ours out and you could put GOB and McLelland in, who both have SL experience.

In terms of forwards, if you think Watts, Matagi, Massey, Smith, Griffin, Edwards, Lawler, Sutcliffe, Westerman, Milner, Hepi, Blair, Martin, Hall isn't enough cover, then you have some very unrealistic ambitions. Nearly everyone on that list gets into most SL starting teams and benches.
Smith hepi Blair milner Sutcliffe matagi Martin Griffin Hall massey no way get in a super League team who intentions to finish top half . Leaves Watts Westerman Edwards lawler two off these get injured same time we look very weak

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jan 2022, 18:41

Blackbulltiger wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 18:20
the changeling wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 02:50 Top 4 and a wembley win ........ at a canter
This. Our squad depth will help us this season. A few other squads are very shallow
get as big squad depth you want but when in wrong positions don't help much we stacked up we wingers. Cover in half backs and forwards is a big worry
We have 4 half back options, more than any other club in the league. Take every clubs current 6 and 7 out of the team and they'd have to play players we've probably never heard of. Take ours out and you could put GOB and McLelland in, who both have SL experience.

In terms of forwards, if you think Watts, Matagi, Massey, Smith, Griffin, Edwards, Lawler, Sutcliffe, Westerman, Milner, Hepi, Blair, Martin, Hall isn't enough cover, then you have some very unrealistic ambitions. Nearly everyone on that list gets into most SL starting teams and benches.
Smith hepi Blair milner Sutcliffe matagi Martin Griffin Hall massey no way get in a super League team who intentions to finish top half . Leaves Watts Westerman Edwards lawler two off these get injured same time we look very weak
You wouldn't be able to have the team you want in SL because you want all your back up players to be stars
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 26 Jan 2022, 19:11

They dont get in any super league teams starting line up with intentions of top half finish n they dont get in ours, they're squad players. All the top teams hove plenty of them.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 26 Jan 2022, 19:25

jackknife wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 19:11

They dont get in any super league teams starting line up with intentions of top half finish n they dont get in ours, they're squad players. All the top teams hove plenty of them.
Exactly. Comparing starters with squad players is pointless. Compare the squad players listed with the squad players in other SL squads and I’d take ours every day of the week.

Like saying if Walmsley, Sironen, Mata’utia and Knowles get injured at saints. They don’t have stars to come in for those.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 26 Jan 2022, 19:33

Play offs very achievable IMHO with the squad (not just starting 17) we have got. I also think the rfl disciplinary dept 💩 could possibly have a say 🤔 COYF 🐯

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 26 Jan 2022, 21:39

For me.

Saints
Catalan

Are both better then us and anyone else first 17 wise and have plenty of good cover squad wise. Both will be too good for us to compete with imo, even if they have a few injuries.

Wire

I wouldnt underestimate Powells early impact with a very good spine available (Ratchford, Widdop, Williams, Clark). I wouldnt be surprised to see them thereabouts at the end of the season.

Leeds

Recruited well, good halfback, pretty good outside backs, strong starting pack if playing to potential and some well blooded youngsters to come in.

Wigan
Questionable really. But never seem to be that far away and if French, Cust, Bateman, Smithies, Hatdaker crack on theres definitely some quality in there. Hard to seperate them and Leeds for me.

Us, Hull, Hull KR (in any order)

We have a strong looking squad, questions about our halfs, need a bit of luck with injuries to key players (we are well placed to cope with injuries but not to Evslds, Mcshane, Watts or Trueman imo) and question marks for the coach to answer from his Hull days.

Hull, not convinced by Hodegeson but they do have plenty of quality in there.

Arguably punched above there weight last year and may find it a bit harder this but I rate Tony Smith.

Hudds
Both will need plenty of luck with injuries to compete any higher imo, but could slip into the bracket above.

Salford
I'd expect them to finish above Wakey and Toulouse bit anything higher would be a success imo.

Wakey
Looks a really weak squad to me a few good players aside (Johnstone, Lino, Fafita). Will need plenty of look with injuries to compete any higher.

Toulouse
Doesnt look a superleague standard squad and doubts over key players due to vaccinations. I think they will need plenty of luck with injuries and hope Catalan have the same and send some players on loan. If they strengthen there squad with Catalans squad players and have some luck could make Wakey nervous I guess.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 26 Jan 2022, 23:13

I disagree with what you say about Saints’ squad depth. On paper, outside the first 20 players, they lol very thin, with 9 or 10 very inexperienced players to call on. If they get 3 or 4 injuries to key players, they could struggle. However, they always seem to unearth a top quality 17 or 18 year old to plug the gaps!!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 26 Jan 2022, 23:15

Fumper27 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 23:13 I disagree with what you say about Saints’ squad depth. On paper, outside the first 20 players, they lol very thin, with 9 or 10 very inexperienced players to call on. If they get 3 or 4 injuries to key players, they could struggle. However, they always seem to unearth a top quality 17 or 18 year old to plug the gaps!!
And unlike every other team, they seem to stay healthy most of the time.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 26 Jan 2022, 23:23

I think a lot rests on our half backs.
We know Evalds and McShane put in top performances on a consistent basis, but the same cannot be said of Trueman or Richardson over the last couple of years. Can they step up, especially against the best defences, or will we be reliant on McShane and Evalds to do it again?

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 26 Jan 2022, 23:42

Fumper27 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 23:13 I disagree with what you say about Saints’ squad depth. On paper, outside the first 20 players, they lol very thin, with 9 or 10 very inexperienced players to call on. If they get 3 or 4 injuries to key players, they could struggle. However, they always seem to unearth a top quality 17 or 18 year old to plug the gaps!!
I think that's kind of how I view there squad strengh though, they seem to have a constant stream of young players ready step up as well as the ability to keep there squad fit.

Tyke123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tyke123 » 27 Jan 2022, 07:04

Compared to the last two seasons I'm reasonably happy with the the backs and forwards.
Creatively from the half-backs is my concern,its no good having a good back line with no one to unleash them.
Getting into the oppositions 20 and playing through the tackles and hoping a chip or lob of the ball will get a result happened too many times last year through being too one dimensional.....this all stems from organisation from the half backs,Macca can't do it all on his own.

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cvtiger » 27 Jan 2022, 08:19

I love it that all our half backs being English, isn’t it only Warrington that are the same? (English Teams half backs like) however if they don’t create for the team those sentiments will soon disappear.
They have to prove their worth week in and week out and if they do we will go well, I think pushing up to third. With the odd star game, like we can produce, who knows where we can get to. We are in a wrestle with the Wigan, Wire and I see Leeds being mentioned but I don’t really get that suggestion, surely Sezer can’t make that much difference?
I think we’ll know by Easter where we are with our style of play under the new coach.
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 27 Jan 2022, 09:44

Very short sighted to include a player like Sam Hall in your already questionable list.

He’s a young lad making his way in the sport and we need youth in the squad as back up. You can’t just dismiss these players as “not good enough”

Do you actually understand how the salary cap works?

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 27 Jan 2022, 10:05

How deep is your pockets

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cvtiger » 27 Jan 2022, 10:07

flood light tiger wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 10:05 How deep is your pockets
We’ll get good odds Dennis, so no need to pile on too much ;)
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

Tyke123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tyke123 » 27 Jan 2022, 10:35

Tyke123 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 07:04 Compared to the last two seasons I'm reasonably happy with the the backs and forwards.
Creatively from the half-backs is my concern,its no good having a good back line with no one to unleash them.
Getting into the oppositions 20 and playing through the tackles and hoping a chip or lob of the ball will get a result happened too many times last year through being too one dimensional.....this all stems from lack of organisation from the half backs,Macca can't do it all on his own.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 Jan 2022, 10:57

jackknife wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:17 1 you
2 can’t
3 predict
4 before
5 a
6 single
7 game
8 has
9 even
10 been
11 played
12 wakey
Now that's true.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 Jan 2022, 11:15

Take the spine out of most clubs and you'll run into problems. But we have some cover and some cover for them.

Macca/milner/O'Neill/Robb (9)

Evalds/O'Brien/Qereqere (1)

Truey/McClelland/O'Brien/turner (6/7)

Watts/Smith/westerman (ball handling forward)

Then look at Leeds, they lose sezer and who takes them round the park? They move Myler from fullback, strap walker back together for fullback.

Lose Austin and then it's leeming from hooker and dwyer to start.

2 injuries and they've moved 2 players from their best positions to cover.

Make it 3 injuries and how does that leave their spine?

Within the cap we've done the best we can and covered it all pretty well. Bear in mind we have had to play a centre and prop in the halves over the last few years.
Last edited by mart0042 on 27 Jan 2022, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 27 Jan 2022, 11:17

Smith Think he is decent rumor's Leeds wanted him but turned them down
Hepi agreed
Blair Waste of space
Sutcliffe I think he will turn out to be a great signing.
Matagi been quality for us.
Martin as never let us down still young.
Griffin I agree I just don't rate.
Hall looks like he as put some size on could turn out to be a gem under Radford.
Massey every team needs a Massey.