The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

Post by Fumper27 » 09 Dec 2021, 10:04

gateman wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 09:09 the other halfback we have signed will not let us down McLelland
If he performs how he did for Leeds he will. If he played well, Leeds wouldn’t of let him go.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Dec 2021, 10:09

westerbeast73 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 08:48
Blackbulltiger wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 23:10
daytona wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:40 I would argue that Hull under Radders were more off the cuff than we ever were with Powell. We were probably the most structured team in the league, and when the opposition sussed it out what we were going to do, we looked clueless in attack at times for the last couple of years. I remember Hull tearing us a new one more than once with the likes of Shaul, Kelly and Connor playing what they see off the back of a good off loading game from the forwards. If our half’s are aloud to play with the shackles off a bit more, rather than going through the set play motions that they have been doing, I expect we could see them flourish with the extra quality that we have brought in. I’m both optimistic and excited for the coming season.
Don't think was a case half backs was shackled under Powell just won't good enought Trueman as gone backwards well before was injured and Richardson had more bad games then good with two good half's we would have finished in top six easy last year
Bit surely OBrien played more than Trueman last season so why not mention him ?
Because him and his alter egos decided long ago Trueman was crap even when he was in the final England 25 he was saying he was championship standard at best
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 09 Dec 2021, 10:30

tigerfeat wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:09
daytona wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:40 I would argue that Hull under Radders were more off the cuff than we ever were with Powell. We were probably the most structured team in the league, and when the opposition sussed it out what we were going to do, we looked clueless in attack at times for the last couple of years. I remember Hull tearing us a new one more than once with the likes of Shaul, Kelly and Connor playing what they see off the back of a good off loading game from the forwards. If our half’s are aloud to play with the shackles off a bit more, rather than going through the set play motions that they have been doing, I expect we could see them flourish with the extra quality that we have brought in. I’m both optimistic and excited for the coming season.
Don't think was a case half backs was shackled under Powell just won't good enought Trueman as gone backwards well before was injured and Richardson had more bad games then good with two good half's we would have finished in top six easy last year
Because him and his alter egos decided long ago Trueman was crap even when he was in the final England 25 he was saying he was championship standard at best
So don't you think we needed to sign a good half on for this season to massively improve are attack and your happy to stick with what we have.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 09 Dec 2021, 10:49

orrsome wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 11:48 I'd have given James Ford a chance (if he would leave York)
Nice lad so I hear but hasn't coaches at elite level or won anything of note. Not even close to Radford.

If Radford is seen as a poor choice by some. Imagine the stick the club would be getting with this.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Dec 2021, 11:07

RADFORD is our coach give the lad a chance so get behind him, in six months time if we are near the bottom of the league that is the time to get the knives out

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Dec 2021, 11:21

Blackbulltiger wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:30
tigerfeat wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:09
So don't you think we needed to sign a good half on for this season to massively improve are attack and your happy to stick with what we have.
We have three half backs all ready taking up a large chunk of salary cap unless we were going to move one of them on we can't make that kind of signing
I agree there's question marks against all three I guess that's why Radford brought Mcllend in to give him another option
If Trueman dosnt comeback to his best after his opp we will be struggling in the half backs until 2023 when Radford will have been able to make changes...that's how I see it
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Dec 2021, 12:34

mart0042 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:49
orrsome wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 11:48 I'd have given James Ford a chance (if he would leave York)
Nice lad so I hear but hasn't coaches at elite level or won anything of note. Not even close to Radford.

If Radford is seen as a poor choice by some. Imagine the stick the club would be getting with this.
I agree but Powell was the same before he came to us, and the rest speaks for itself.
IMO some lower league coaches could be successful if given a chance and James Ford has potential.
Big risk I accept, but he gets good reviews and seems to have a philosophy of expansive rugby so maybe worth a go.
Having said all that, would Danny Orr have been an option?

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 Dec 2021, 13:04

Powell coached Leeds in super league before joining us. I’d call that “elite” level.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 09 Dec 2021, 13:32

Players have already commented on how professional Lee is with his approach to training and prep. I'm looking forward to seeing his style for next season. See if he can lose the stereotype of 5 drives and a kick.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 09 Dec 2021, 15:04

It seems this is very much a debate based on whether your glass is half full/empty.

I'm not one for the Boris Johnson approach to tag lining everything in life but for me, it does look like a new era at Cas and that should give hope for optimism.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Dec 2021, 16:49

Fumper27 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 13:04 Powell coached Leeds in super league before joining us. I’d call that “elite” level.
And was a failure.
Moved on to Fev where he had some success to use that experience to our advantage.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 Dec 2021, 17:25

orrsome wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 16:49
Fumper27 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 13:04 Powell coached Leeds in super league before joining us. I’d call that “elite” level.
And was a failure.
Moved on to Fev where he had some success to use that experience to our advantage.
But the discussion was not about if he had succeeded or failed, it was if he’d coached at elite level. I was just pointing out that he had. Was he a success? It terms of trophies, not. But in the legacy he started by blooding players like Burrow, McGuire, Diskin, Walker, Calderwood, Bailey, etc helped Leeds become the team to beat for a decade or so.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Dec 2021, 17:27

Leeds let Gale go we were glad they did no club gets it right every time

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Dec 2021, 18:04

Fumper27 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 17:25
And was a failure.
But the discussion was not about if he had succeeded or failed, it was if he’d coached at elite level. I was just pointing out that he had. Was he a success? It terms of trophies, not. But in the legacy he started by blooding players like Burrow, McGuire, Diskin, Walker, Calderwood, Bailey, etc helped Leeds become the team to beat for a decade or so.
Nobody but you mentioned elite level,
Once again you change someone's point to suit your argument.
I merely pointed out that Powell came to us from a lower league and was relatively successful, as Ford would have had the chance to do if we had given him the job and IMO he has the potential to do it.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Dec 2021, 18:14

orrsome wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 18:04
Fumper27 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 17:25
And was a failure.
Nobody but you mentioned elite level,
Once again you change someone's point to suit your argument.
I merely pointed out that Powell came to us from a lower league and was relatively successful, as Ford would have had the chance to do if we had given him the job and IMO he has the potential to do it.
Apologies, Mart0042 posted that Ford had not coached at elite level - not Powell

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 09 Dec 2021, 18:48

I think our halves are good enough, but they haven’t been playing to their strengths. Trueman to me is a running half back who’s natural game is eyes up rugby playing what he sees. I don’t think he needs the added pressure of pushing the team round the park though. He’s not a natural talker or organiser. When Richardson burst onto the scene at Saints he was a running half as well, causing havoc taking the line on. He’s probably too similar to Truey though to play them both and get the best out of both I think. I see Gaz as more of a full back to be honest but barring injury he’ll find it hard to dislodge Evalds from that slot. Having said that he’s extremely versatile and can play competently anywhere in the back line and he can offer something different, so a shoe in for a bench slot for me. That leaves Mcleland, who I believe when fit will end up with the scrum half gig. A calm measured kid who will push us round the park and take the pressure off Trueman to play his natural game. So in summary I’d have Evalds at 1, Trueman at 6, Mcleland at 7 and Gaz on bench to change it up if needed. If Trueman breaks down injured Richardson comes in and is encouraged to play a running game. Just my thoughts, you might think I’m talking rubbish but let’s see how it pans out.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 10 Dec 2021, 11:10

orrsome wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 12:34
mart0042 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:49

I agree but Powell was the same before he came to us, and the rest speaks for itself.
IMO some lower league coaches could be successful if given a chance and James Ford has potential.
Big risk I accept, but he gets good reviews and seems to have a philosophy of expansive rugby so maybe worth a go.
Having said all that, would Danny Orr have been an option?
Powell had overseen the start of the Leeds success era. He got booted out, but I think that helped him.

Ford may well do a fantastic job in the future but he'd need an experienced assistant. His time might be right after Radford but he needs to do something amazing for me first. Maybe a million pound match, doesn't need to be a winning one but to get there against the strong League opposition.
In relation to his expansive attacking play, I'd take winning above all else first. I detest the pie eat-eaters style but would love a grand final win more.

Danny I think needed to move away to cut his teeth before coming back. He certainly knows his stuff and knows Cas but I think he needs to show his boss credentials and had run a team before. I've always struggled with head coaches being mates with players. They've got to make hard choices. Not saying he was over friendly but he'll need to find the natural line in the sand.

An Orr/Ford duo?

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 10 Dec 2021, 13:31

I was one that, initially, thought about James Ford/Danny Ward when it was announced Powell was leaving. The question I have now is what recruitment would have looked like under either/both of them? The squad, obviously, needed freshening up and a lot of players needed replacing. Radders has been able to get some quality players to come to us - I doubt either Ford or Ward would have been able to attract the type of players that we now have in the squad. As mart has said, maybe in the future Ford would do a good job but, thinking about it, the time wasn’t right for him to make that step up, especially to a side that needed rebuilding. I’m very happy with how Radders seems to be going about things and with the positive vibes about the place so, hopefully, the club made the right call and he gets my 100% backing to prove it.

In Radders we trust!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 10 Dec 2021, 18:24

When Radfords name was first mentioned i wasn't impressed but hes brought some quality players in and we definitely look stronger now than we did last season so lets hope he gets them playing well together. Im quite looking forward this season.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Dec 2021, 19:08

one thing we are not hearing so and so as broken down in training a big change from recent years