The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: The Ford awakens, a new beginning.

Post by orrsome » 07 Dec 2021, 16:38

york tiger wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 15:46 oh no not Radford.. A leopard does not change its spots & forgive me but i don't think mr Radford has it in him to learn new tricks.five barges & kick is what he is about. Even with the wealth of talent available to him at Hull he eventually dragged them down.Yes we have new faces to look forward to but we are very poor at half back even if they are all fit.Radford may win more than he looses, but i crave entertainment(as we had in 2017)not just wins by grunt! I may as well watch york do that as they have a wonderful new kicker. Ellis!!!
As above.
It’s LR’s style of rugby that concerns me. At FC he had a big, big pack that tried (and succeeded on occasions) to bully other teams down the middle. When it didn’t result in a try the other tactic was to use Sneyd to kick to the corner. The only flair players I can think of were Albert Kelly and Connor.

This was all well and good for FC but so far we don’t have the same big pack, especially props, neither do we have a kicker of Sneyd’s ability.

I suppose we have to wait to see if LR has the coaching ability to adapt his tactics to suit the players he has at Cas, but I haven’t seen much evidence of his ability to change his natural game plan of 5 drives and a kick so far.

As a closet optomist, I’m looking forward to being pleasantly surprised.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 07 Dec 2021, 17:17

Maybe you have just answered your own concerns. Without the same pack, maybe he will adjust his tactics and playing style accordingly.

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 07 Dec 2021, 19:45

Fumper27 wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 17:17 Maybe you have just answered your own concerns. Without the same pack, maybe he will adjust his tactics and playing style accordingly.
That’s how I see it, but as has been said more than once; only time will tell.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 08 Dec 2021, 10:59

If someone can tell me who they would have chosen before Radford, please put it here. Please be realistic, Wayne Bennett wouldn't come to Cas.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 08 Dec 2021, 11:12

mart0042 wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 10:59 If someone can tell me who they would have chosen before Radford, please put it here. Please be realistic, Wayne Bennett wouldn't come to Cas.
my thoughts too, if we hadnt have got Lee who would we have gone for that's better :?:

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 08 Dec 2021, 11:48

I'd have given James Ford a chance (if he would leave York)

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 08 Dec 2021, 11:51

Lee is our coach the way he left Hull he will want to prove himself ,he as got my backing i suggest all our fans do the same

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 08 Dec 2021, 11:58

gateman wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 11:51 Lee is our coach the way he left Hull he will want to prove himself ,he as got my backing i suggest all our fans do the same
here here Gateman, give the lad a chance.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 08 Dec 2021, 12:12

I think 2022 season will provide answers to the questions raised in this topic.
LR has a 2 year contract with us, but with all the new signings brought in there can't be the excuse of 'not his squad' in his first season.
Let's hope we're looking to extend his contract after 2022 because we are playing attractive, winning rugby and are well up in the top half of the league.

Show 'n' Go
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Show 'n' Go » 08 Dec 2021, 16:31

This opinion might go down like a pair of concrete boots, but I'd take 5 drives and a kick if it wins us a Challenge Cup or gets us into the Grand Final.

We played unreal rugby in 2017, but we were lucky to keep the same 13 on the pitch every game. We kept trying to play the same game plan with depleted teams last year!

From what it sounds, Radford knows what he wants to do with this team and it's not a case of re-writing what we do. We need to toughen and tighten up in places and stop been so soft to teams!

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 08 Dec 2021, 16:39

Good coaches adjust and the game as changed since he was coaching hull.i really think he and cas will do well next season.looking forward to it

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Dec 2021, 17:30

It's not correct to say Powell represents open rugby and Radford the opposite we played the most dire form of rugby in 2019 and in 2017 when we were almost unbeatable in the summer Radfords Hull turned us over in the CC cup quater final playing a great brand of rugby
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

hazzy

Post by hazzy » 08 Dec 2021, 17:31

It all depends on the players really, Radford might say to the players don't get tackled with the ball, move it on, but some players won't or can't, i.e. Massey, Griffin, the piece about Edwards the other day, saying he was talking to Westy about offloading, so it looks like they're going to work it out together, so if they're good enough who knows, I can see Watts fitting into that quite well, 2017 revolved mainly round Gale and Hardaker, I know they're halfbacks, but who knows Richardson and GOB might surprise you, the rest of the backs are OK :idea:

Classysupercas6202
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classysupercas6202 » 08 Dec 2021, 21:15

Fumper27 wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 16:26 I have been more impressed with Radford’s ability to attract players like Mamo, Edwards, Westerman, Fonua, Faraimo and Lawler than I was with Powell’s ability to attract players like Aston, Ellis, Clare, Olpherts, Crossley, Moore, Channing, Green, Egodo, etc, etc

Lee winning two more finals than DP ever did at Cas is a big tick on the box for me.

Lee had success at Hull and probably stayed there a season or two longer than he should of done so. Similar to DP and Cas in that the writing was in the wall with the calibre of signings he made after the 2017 season.
My thoughts too

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 08 Dec 2021, 21:40

I would argue that Hull under Radders were more off the cuff than we ever were with Powell. We were probably the most structured team in the league, and when the opposition sussed it out what we were going to do, we looked clueless in attack at times for the last couple of years. I remember Hull tearing us a new one more than once with the likes of Shaul, Kelly and Connor playing what they see off the back of a good off loading game from the forwards. If our half’s are aloud to play with the shackles off a bit more, rather than going through the set play motions that they have been doing, I expect we could see them flourish with the extra quality that we have brought in. I’m both optimistic and excited for the coming season.

Blackbulltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Blackbulltiger » 08 Dec 2021, 23:10

daytona wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:40 I would argue that Hull under Radders were more off the cuff than we ever were with Powell. We were probably the most structured team in the league, and when the opposition sussed it out what we were going to do, we looked clueless in attack at times for the last couple of years. I remember Hull tearing us a new one more than once with the likes of Shaul, Kelly and Connor playing what they see off the back of a good off loading game from the forwards. If our half’s are aloud to play with the shackles off a bit more, rather than going through the set play motions that they have been doing, I expect we could see them flourish with the extra quality that we have brought in. I’m both optimistic and excited for the coming season.
Don't think was a case half backs was shackled under Powell just won't good enought Trueman as gone backwards well before was injured and Richardson had more bad games then good with two good half's we would have finished in top six easy last year

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 08 Dec 2021, 23:24

I think last season was more a case of putting all of our eggs in the “win the challenge cup” basket

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 08 Dec 2021, 23:56

Fumper27 wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 23:24 I think last season was more a case of putting all of our eggs in the “win the challenge cup” basket
i am with you on that mate at least he got us to the final with any luck at all we would have won it

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 09 Dec 2021, 08:48

Blackbulltiger wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 23:10
daytona wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:40 I would argue that Hull under Radders were more off the cuff than we ever were with Powell. We were probably the most structured team in the league, and when the opposition sussed it out what we were going to do, we looked clueless in attack at times for the last couple of years. I remember Hull tearing us a new one more than once with the likes of Shaul, Kelly and Connor playing what they see off the back of a good off loading game from the forwards. If our half’s are aloud to play with the shackles off a bit more, rather than going through the set play motions that they have been doing, I expect we could see them flourish with the extra quality that we have brought in. I’m both optimistic and excited for the coming season.
Don't think was a case half backs was shackled under Powell just won't good enought Trueman as gone backwards well before was injured and Richardson had more bad games then good with two good half's we would have finished in top six easy last year
Bit surely OBrien played more than Trueman last season so why not mention him ?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Dec 2021, 09:09

the other halfback we have signed will not let us down McLelland