Opinion On Radford

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Show 'n' Go
Academy Player
Academy Player

Opinion On Radford

Post by Show 'n' Go » 05 Nov 2021, 15:47

Starting this thread in the hope that it remains positive (although season depending we could look back on this with doom & gloom)

But since his appointment, what's people thoughts on Radford? He wasn't my first choice, but also not my last so was very much in the middle. But after listening to the piece Paul Cooke did on him with Matt Shaw (I think) I started to warm to him more.

Squad wise, this looks our strongest for a long time with a number of good quality signings, back room staff looks to have been in order for a while and he's obviously trusting blokes he knows from Hull FC. I'd like to think we'll be a lot tougher to play against this year than the last couple and have a bit more nastiness to us, we've been to nice to play against at times meaning teams walk over us.

Finally, he seems like a genuinely good bloke to be around. Not read or heard a negative thing about him so far. So here's to hoping for a good season in 2022!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Opinion On Radford

Post by old cas lass » 05 Nov 2021, 15:53

Not wanting to sound negative.
At the moment I have no opinion on him.
Yes, he’s made some decent signings and released some deadwood.
Proof will be in the pudding…….on the field.
Until I see his structure on how he wants the team to play, and if we can compete with the top two team, catalans, saints, then I’ll hold judgment on any opinion on him.

He’s some big shoes to fill in Powell’s.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Nov 2021, 16:16

all positive with what we are hearing the proof will be half way through next season and the position we are in the league

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 05 Nov 2021, 16:17

Hard to judge next season.
I will judge more the year after when he gets the half backs in he wants.
Think he as made some good appointments in is coaching staff and signed some good but not great players.
Prediction would be 4th next season.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 05 Nov 2021, 16:21

Impossible to make a judgement just yet and that is simply because team managers/coaches are judge purely on results and not what they say.

I've just read an article about Paul Rowley and he too sounds positive about what he wants to achieve but I would never expect a new team boss to be all doom and gloom.

He's brought in new faces but again, how they play will be the basis of my judgement on 'success'.

Cautiously optimistic...

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 05 Nov 2021, 16:28

On Paper, the squad he has assembled coupled together with addressing backroom staff requirements in coach and fitness levels etc, he should have no problem in my estimation to make top 6 minimum at the very least and I would consider a top 3 placing as a "he's done a decent job" with us ! This squad has the potential to win something which would be a bonus and would hope it's a final instead of being an "also ran" these past years" !

I think he will get us into the top 3 as he has so much to prove to the RL world after being unceremoniously dumped at Hull in an embarrassing "TV night" moment and would have hurt him so let's hope that episode will spur him on with drive and determination to achieve with Cas and cast away those demons !!

I'm all aglow with Positivity !...........Cum On You Ford !!

Altofts tiger25
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Altofts tiger25 » 05 Nov 2021, 17:26

Lets see what his painting is like first😉
As we have heard in many interviews about Lee, he seems to be putting the work in, with building not just the squad but the club too.
I love what i am hearing about him, was not thrilled initially but lets all get behind him as our new coach and leader.
Powell who?
Consistent effort from the team is what i will judge him on in 1st season, that will produce the results we crave as fans.
I recall last year many of us forum users question the effort and comitment from the team, so for ne thats my benchmark for Radders
COYF

TypingMonkey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TypingMonkey » 05 Nov 2021, 18:36

Too many times over the past 2 seasons I've come away from a game saying things like "We just can't score. We make no breaks. We have no idea what to do in our opponent's 10m. How come our big lads can never crash over under the sticks? Do we even have a game plan?" Powell's whole approach had gone stale, and every opposing defence had us figured out before we even got on the field.

I love the recruitment this year. It looks like Radford is building the team to play a different style of rugby, and I'm ready for it! It's not 2017 any more and the new ideas and new faces are going to be refreshing - I can't wait.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 05 Nov 2021, 18:46

In Radford we trust!

Meat and potato pie

Post by Meat and potato pie » 05 Nov 2021, 18:58

Encouraged by his work ethic already...

Been labouring for Contractors at the ground developing changing rooms and making his personal touches to Home dressing room.

Real assessment will come how we are on the pitch....relationship with players etc.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 05 Nov 2021, 20:38

All positive so far and he gets a season for me anyway to bed himself in and gel the squad/staff together - there’s been a fair amount of changes. The big question is, when he’s done painting is he gonna put some locks on the bog doors?? :lol:

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 05 Nov 2021, 23:55

derbystiger wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 20:38 All positive so far and he gets a season for me anyway to bed himself in and gel the squad/staff together - there’s been a fair amount of changes. The big question is, when he’s done painting is he gonna put some locks on the bog doors?? :lol:
Made me chuckle that ….😃

Agree that it all sounds very positive but I still have a concern with the quality & cutting edge of our half backs. Just seen that Gale has gone to Hull FC on a one year deal. A similar arrangement could have improved us.

See how we go but I think we will be well in the mix in 2022.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Nov 2021, 00:11

Forget Gale great for us but for me gone by his sell by date ,Leeds shipping him out they must think the same, our players look good the prof is if they gel over to you Mr Radford

pat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pat » 06 Nov 2021, 00:11

Gale left us for Leeds and the money why bring him back at his age we need to build for the future

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Nov 2021, 00:24

pat wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 00:11 Gale left us for Leeds and the money why bring him back at his age we need to build for the future
McLeland may surprise a few who doubt his signing only time will tell

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 06 Nov 2021, 09:08

Was one that was complaining saying the powell era had gone very stale and thought the brand of rugby and contrast retention and recruitment was poor. And the injuries over the last few years we’ve picked up in training is awful.

Radders wasn’t my first choice but I’ve grown to him and more and more think about it I think he’s going to be a good fit for us.

Been impressed with his recruitment and retention and the club deserve some backing for that too!

All hale the new era

Come on radders

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 06 Nov 2021, 17:35

Tigersbarmy wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 09:08 Was one that was complaining saying the powell era had gone very stale and thought the brand of rugby and contrast retention and recruitment was poor. And the injuries over the last few years we’ve picked up in training is awful.

Radders wasn’t my first choice but I’ve grown to him and more and more think about it I think he’s going to be a good fit for us.

Been impressed with his recruitment and retention and the club deserve some backing for that too!

All hale the new era

Come on radders
agree with all of this mate.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Classysupercas6202
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classysupercas6202 » 06 Nov 2021, 18:35

TypingMonkey wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 18:36 Too many times over the past 2 seasons I've come away from a game saying things like "We just can't score. We make no breaks. We have no idea what to do in our opponent's 10m. How come our big lads can never crash over under the sticks? Do we even have a game plan?" Powell's whole approach had gone stale, and every opposing defence had us figured out before we even got on the field.

I love the recruitment this year. It looks like Radford is building the team to play a different style of rugby, and I'm ready for it! It's not 2017 any more and the new ideas and new faces are going to be refreshing - I can't wait.
Very true mate

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 07 Nov 2021, 01:32

Is it true he's a red neck and supports Scumchester United.
Not that l follow football any more.
But when it comes to the round ball and lawn fairies.
BETTER DEAD THAN RED.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 07 Nov 2021, 02:49

casjunction wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 01:32 Is it true he's a red neck and supports Scumchester United.
Not that l follow football any more.
But when it comes to the round ball and lawn fairies.
BETTER DEAD THAN RED.
Better anything than owt to do we Leeds.