Emerald Headingley

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Emerald Headingley

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Nov 2021, 19:27

Not sure if it will effect the RL side of things there will have to be a new name for the Headingley ground after the the main sponsors Emerald pulled out the other two main sponsors of the cricket team Tetleys and Yorkshire Tea also pulled out over the Azeem Rafiq affair
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Emerald Headingley

Post by Fumper27 » 03 Nov 2021, 19:40

Emerald have said they will continue to sponsor the RL side of Headingley.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Nov 2021, 10:24

I've followed Yorkshire cricket team since my dad first took me to a match when I was about ten disturbing stuff coming out just now really
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 04 Nov 2021, 12:41

tigerfeat wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 10:24 I've followed Yorkshire cricket team since my dad first took me to a match when I was about ten disturbing stuff coming out just now really
At the very least, the whole situation has been handled very badly by Yorkshire.

In reality, the comments made by individuals need to be taken in context with other evidence uncovered during the investigation and it now seems Rafiq isn't overly concerned about the individual incidents but the culture of the club at the time, and how they've responded.

With regards to the term 'banter', I have spent many happy hours with team mates and used language I wouldn't dream of using in other situations. I've called people things and been called names that are/were equally as bad, if not worse. However, I have never intended hurt anyone and nor was I ever hurt by any term thrown at me. These team mates and their actions/comments helped me through some very difficult periods in my life. The dressing room is a strange culture and there have been times when some could not cope. I would often step in and remind others we are not all the same.

I do not envy the position Yorkshire now find themselves in but I hope they can act swiftly to find a resolution and develop a culture where no one feels a victim.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Nov 2021, 15:01

To be honest as long as I can remember there as been a under lying feeling of something not quite right about the club, for years some really talented Asian cricketers had to play in the league's because they weren't allowed to play for Yorkshie
Rafiq said himself this morning this wasn't about banter in the changing rooms
There's a emergency board meeting tomorrow let's see what occurs then
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 04 Nov 2021, 15:38

tigerfeat wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 15:01 To be honest as long as I can remember there as been a under lying feeling of something not quite right about the club, for years some really talented Asian cricketers had to play in the league's because they weren't allowed to play for Yorkshie
Nail on head and I'm actually becoming increasingly concerned the comments of an individual may detract from the underlying issues at the Club. I hope Rafiq is given the opportunity to pursue the investigations along the right lines.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Nov 2021, 22:15

tigerfeat wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 15:01 To be honest as long as I can remember there as been a under lying feeling of something not quite right about the club, for years some really talented Asian cricketers had to play in the league's because they weren't allowed to play for Yorkshie
in the grand scheme of things its not really that long since you had to be born in yorkshire to play for yorkshire
jo brand is eddie warings love child

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Nov 2021, 22:15

they've lost 5 sponsors now.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Nov 2021, 23:05

Also lost the right to stage international games
Gary Ballance has been banned from England selection
Even Michael Vaughan has been accused of making a racist comment.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Nov 2021, 08:16

The decision to stop Headingley hosting international matches there was a test match next year and a one day international will have a terrible affect...I'd expect many heads to roll at today's crisis meeting
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 05 Nov 2021, 10:16

I am reflecting on this and personal experience, on the one hand I have been 'abused' one could say consistently for characteristics, where I am from etc..... and I know playing sport with Mancs. scousers, Welsh and Scots have definitely given as good as I have got. On the one hand that can be considered the illusive "banter".

That being said, I am not from a background routinely 'colonised', discriminated against, abused or whatever, so it is with that privilege I may not be offended.

I am making no judgement or statement about anyone, my own personal reflection being that your intent is one thing, but how your words are perceived are entirely different, very difficult societal area not just sport.