Legal Proceedings against RFL

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Legal Proceedings against RFL

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Oct 2021, 10:35

I see both the RFL and RFU are facing legal proceedings from former players in respect of Dementia and other long terms conditions allegedly caused by playing the game.
I suspect there is a good chance of success in the long term but I also guess that the costs of just fighting the cases will bust the RFL

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Legal Proceedings against RFL

Post by heritage1926 » 27 Oct 2021, 11:07

Bobbie Goulding has now succumbed to early onset dementia

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... noses.html

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 Oct 2021, 13:17

Interesting stuff and I feel for all contracting such a dreadful condition.

It is recognised that contact sports can leave injury well after retirement but it wasn't known at that time regards dementia and it'll be difficult to portion blame. Is it the clubs, the game, the other players.

Ultimately they choose to play rugby. It's a harsh world but no one dragged them into it. Suing someone for a payday isn't going to cure it.

Bobby Goulding had a stellar career but you've got you ask did the alcohol and illegal drugs help or were they because of the injuries.

The RFL should piggyback the other such investigations underwear in football and the NFL. Join forces for a better outcome.

I find it odd that football is classed as a contact game but only when you are running in the same direction with an opponent can you use your shoulder. Apart from that every other contact is illegal as it's the ball that should be touched. Grappling in the penalty box isn't in the rules but seems to be allowed now. I'm aware that in football the main thing is heading the ball causing the issue but it's part of the game.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 27 Oct 2021, 18:45

As horrible as it must be for the players getting early dementia nobody forced them or any of us to play rugby and id say its obvious when we put our bodies on the line as players there's a chance of it coming back to haunt us later on in life. I dont see how the RFL can be held responsible for it.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 27 Oct 2021, 23:28

the sad thing is that you don't realise at the time you are playing and lets face it you were encouraged not to show that you were hurt. it not just dementia though. 20 years after i finished playing i went for the usual check at specsavers. 5 minutes into the examination the young lady halted it and advised me to see my GP immediately and gave me an accompanying letter which reslted in me being referred to pinderfields. i was diagnosed with a macular odema in one eye which usually results in blindness in the affected eye. i had lots of tests for diabetes as 99% of cases are caused by that but all were negative.. at the next meeting with the consultant he asked if i had ever done any boxing as blows to the head were the only other cause. i said not boxing but i'd taken a lot of bangs to the head playing rugby. he immediately said that would be the cause and it was treatable and within 12 months i was ok. it just goes to show though how long after you've had the head knocks it can take and i always wondered what would have happened if i hadn't visited specsavers.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 Oct 2021, 08:15

I'd say enjoy the sports you like now in ten years time there will be watered down versions of kick and clap rugby league boxing the NFL... football without headers I'm not saying it's not the right thing to do with people's heath at risk it's how sports will become
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 28 Oct 2021, 10:13

The players and clubs will have to sign an agreement that covers post career injury. That's if it's not already a thing.

When my lad was 12 he had the option of a junior rugby playing insurance policy to cover injury but we as a family had it already covered.

In my previous job before retirement, we had group accident insurance which covered all manner of things. I now have private life cover with critical illness, dementia is al critical illness on mine. If it happens during the term I get paid out.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 28 Oct 2021, 15:55

Surely any recompense will have to depend the RFL/Clubs having knowledge of the potential impact of head injuries but still doing nothing about it?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 29 Oct 2021, 10:20

FIat Capper wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 15:55 Surely any recompense will have to depend the RFL/Clubs having knowledge of the potential impact of head injuries but still doing nothing about it?
Your have thought they'd have to prove negligence.

In a rich sport like NFL, they can afford to put done money aside, the RFL are many things like imcompitent but rich they ain't.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 29 Oct 2021, 12:47

They would have to prove negligence

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 29 Oct 2021, 20:24

Where does boxing fit in with all this?
You could understand it now if many parents stop children playing contact sports. I would. With the best will in the world, bangs on the head will happen repeatedly, and dementia is now a high priority in the health service.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 30 Oct 2021, 11:17

American footballers and cricketers batting or fielding close to the wicket have worn helmets for several years now, as have cyclists, speedway riders, jockeys, etc. How would that work in rugby or soccer? Just asking like!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 01 Nov 2021, 10:54

Ken Smith wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 11:17 American footballers and cricketers batting or fielding close to the wicket have worn helmets for several years now, as have cyclists, speedway riders, jockeys, etc. How would that work in rugby or soccer? Just asking like!
Juniors had to wear headguards but they stopped when it was found they started putting their heads in places they normally wouldn't because of them.

Personally I'd a choice thing.