Billy Boston

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Billy Boston

Post by gateman » 17 Oct 2021, 15:47

i thought that was in bad taste the Billy Boston stand at Wigan is going to be renamed, Billy is in his late 80S to do it whilst he is still with us seems totally wrong

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Billy Boston

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 17 Oct 2021, 19:32

I agree, but sadly the club sold the family silver and are now at the mercy of the third tier football club who call the shots as their landlords

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 17 Oct 2021, 19:43

Sad that Billy's name will be removed from the stand,one of my earliest memories was watching him play,a true legend who deserves better. Unfortunately it's becoming clear the Warriors are very much the poor relations and the stand renaming is purely to bolster the football clubs finances.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Oct 2021, 21:21

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 19:32 I agree, but sadly the club sold the family silver and are now at the mercy of the third tier football club who call the shots as their landlords
Who actually built the ground was it Lenegan or Wigan council it seems a odd situation there now
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 17 Oct 2021, 22:47

I thought Wigan had to sell Central Park to stop themselves going bust and did a deal with Whelan the owner of JJB Sports for a lease on the Stadium. Not sure how of if the Council were involved

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 17 Oct 2021, 23:49

same has happened at hull. i have 2 mates who are hull supporters and they always used to meet up in the ground for drinks in the johnny whitely lounge bar. it was decorated with hull memorobilia including some of johnny's framed shirts. all this disappeared in the close season with it becoming a corporate facility and nobody knows where all the shirts and photo's etc went. i fear wigan are heading the same way.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Oct 2021, 08:44

If the football team own the stadium and the RL team are just tennants course there going to paint the seats there colours and name stands to suit themselves
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi