Sportmanship

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sportmanship

Post by flood light tiger » 05 Jun 2021, 15:21

It father right to pick ball up and run in for a try after griffen drops to fall with achilles problem thoughts

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Sportmanship

Post by flood light tiger » 05 Jun 2021, 15:22

Sorry farge

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 05 Jun 2021, 15:26

Fages done nowt wrong for me. Griffin should have held onto that ball even if his leg was hanging off. Hull fans don’t like it but I’m sure any Hull player on the pitch would have done exactly same as Fages did.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 05 Jun 2021, 15:29

I dint see owt wrong with it.
Ball was live.
Farges didn’t know how bad the injury was, he was in the zone.
And he played to the whistle.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 05 Jun 2021, 15:33

Nothing wrong with it. Any of us that have played would have picked that ball up - play on till ref whistle goes. If it had been us we’d have claimed the try

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 05 Jun 2021, 15:44

Also it’s the refs responsibility, he should have blow straight away.
He’s the one who played on.
Farges isn’t there to ref the game.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 05 Jun 2021, 16:17

old cas lass wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 15:44 Also it’s the refs responsibility, he should have blow straight away.
He’s the one who played on.
Farges isn’t there to ref the game.
Correct OCL - always play to the refs whistle. Fages did nothing wrong

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 05 Jun 2021, 16:35

Got no problem with it. Griffin needed to keep hold of if no matter how bad the injury was.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Jun 2021, 20:06

Whil Fages did nothing wrong, it doesn't sit right with me that the moral aspect of it didn't see Saints let Hull score at the other end like you often see in football.

IMO that is a negative from Saints, no matter the importance of the game. Only right if the ref doesn't have the stones to blow his whistle or bend the rules.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 05 Jun 2021, 20:07

tricky one. i get the "play to the whistle bit" but i'm assuming griffin screamed in pain as some other saints players ran to the stricken griffin. maybe thats why the hull players stopped.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 05 Jun 2021, 22:10

Let’s imagine that his Achilles snaps so he stops and passes the ball to a teammate who scores a try. Would it start a debate?

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 06 Jun 2021, 07:53

It's drilled into you as a youngster to play to the refs whistle, no problem from me.
🐯 COYF!

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 06 Jun 2021, 09:03

Nothing wrong with the try you've got to play to the whistle , the ref should have blown for me . But if Cas had been in that position picked the ball up and waved the physio's on I would have swelled with pride . Sometimes player welfare comes first which I may add all the rest of St Helens players did stop and were concerned for Josh which was nice to see .

Derbyshiretiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Derbyshiretiger » 06 Jun 2021, 09:59

Totally wrong for me. It wasn't in the best interest if the game. Yeah I get all the rule bookers, play to the whistle etc etc but to benefit from an individual obviously in extreme agony was wrong. Even in football , if a player goes down the opposition kick the ball out . Unless your leeds utd against villa 2019 lol. I know we all have our opinions and I respect every one of them. Just not for me I'm afraid.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Jun 2021, 10:30

Derbyshiretiger wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 09:59 Totally wrong for me. It wasn't in the best interest if the game. Yeah I get all the rule bookers, play to the whistle etc etc but to benefit from an individual obviously in extreme agony was wrong. Even in football , if a player goes down the opposition kick the ball out . Unless your leeds utd against villa 2019 lol. I know we all have our opinions and I respect every one of them. Just not for me I'm afraid.
Thank god we arnt football derbys.
Imo it was down to the ref to stop the game.
Soon as Griffin dropped the ball the whistle should have gone.
Saying that it happened so quick.
Farges won’t of realised what was happening, he just saw the ball picked it up and scored. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If anyone’s to blame it’s the ref.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 06 Jun 2021, 10:52

All in the heat of the moment. Bet Farges never noticed how he came up with the ball but you play to the whistle. Hindsight a beautiful thing. But unfortunately Griffin should have just gone down with the ball.?

Dennis Vazquez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dennis Vazquez » 06 Jun 2021, 15:05

If anything for me, the ref should have eyes on this and should blow. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see he pulled up with something severe. If he was injured and loses it in contact then fair enough. But when a player goes down like and throws it away, untouched, ball should be dead.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 06 Jun 2021, 18:12

Sorry to disagree with you lot who said he should have kept hold of the ball, horrible pain at the time it snaps, but play to whistle, bad luck it happened near Hull line, could have happened near Saints line and Hull player picked it up and scored.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Jun 2021, 23:18

Dennis Vazquez wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 15:05 If anything for me, the ref should have eyes on this and should blow. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see he pulled up with something severe. If he was injured and loses it in contact then fair enough. But when a player goes down like and throws it away, untouched, ball should be dead.
Agree. The ref is in charge of the game.

It's like teams being "expected" to put the ball out in football if a member of the opposition goes down. It's ridiculous. Ref - blow your whistle. Take control if it looks like someone is hurt.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 07 Jun 2021, 11:50

In all honesty I'm not sure what anyone could've done differently, other than Griffin holding onto the ball which as the ball carrier, he is expected to do. Of course, it's different if your unconscious and have no control over your actions but he wasn't.

Anything different and I can see players doing a football and falling over to gain time and a breather when trying to bring the ball out from their own line.

It's tough on Griffin but it's a tough sport.