The old girl....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: The old girl....

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Feb 2021, 12:51

The heritage/history of the club will never change though will it? If you move stadiums these days it is mostly down to money and not the fans that pay to watch. WR could have and should have been improved bit by bit as at least a plan B. It appears we are struggling to move to a new stadium so we are stuck with WR in its current state.

If we have to share with say Doncaster then that would seriously put me off travelling so far to watch a "Home" game.

I doubt it would happen now but if Cas, Wakey, the council and some serious investors were to all club together what do you feel could be done as a neutral venue that is shared with the 2 teams? Financially I feel we would both be so much better off by a long chalk. Normanton would be ideal as a midway point for both sets of fans.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 09 Feb 2021, 13:18

Just thinking about all the relatively new grounds in SL and how many have been built outside of the traditional area of the clubs involved. I know the AJ Bell is in the middle of nowhere but I'm not sure about the likes of Totally Wicked or the Halliwell Jones?

The K Com and DW seen fairly central so it begs the question, does the location of the new stadia impact overall attendance?

As for a new shared ground in say Normy, lovely, closer to my home but who would own the facility? If WMDC are involved I would guess they retain ownership and charge the two clubs rent (a financial outlay neither currently have).

Alternatively, all parties agree a community partnership with equal share of both cost and revenue. How do you divvy that up when one side brings in more income than the other. Does each partner keep the income they generate and if so, who gets the hospitality income from non-matchday events; weddings, conferences, food and drink hospitality businesses?

Until my and our current grounds dying day, I will maintain that a true community partnership with the club can develop WR to a level that is accepted by the RFL/SL and generates extra income.

Pull the fingers out and crack on...

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Feb 2021, 14:52

Totally Wicked is in St Helens pretty central as is the Halliwell Jones in Warrington. A shared stadium for us and wakefield in Normy would be neither. I've said all along that WR should be updated and I stand by it. Do one stand every close season or every other close season. Look how far we'd have been if it had started when the new stadium idea came about. WMDC is only bothered about wakefield, and the proof is in how much the wakefield area has been improved compared to the 5 towns, which pay most council tax due to more population in the 5 towns. Most Cas fans and away fans like to go downt lane for the simple reason of the fantastic atmosphere, let's keep it that way. COYF

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 09 Feb 2021, 16:01

:-s
Tigers1926 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:52 Totally Wicked is in St Helens pretty central as is the Halliwell Jones in Warrington. A shared stadium for us and wakefield in Normy would be neither. I've said all along that WR should be updated and I stand by it. Do one stand every close season or every other close season. Look how far we'd have been if it had started when the new stadium idea came about. WMDC is only bothered about wakefield, and the proof is in how much the wakefield area has been improved compared to the 5 towns, which pay most council tax due to more population in the 5 towns. Most Cas fans and away fans like to go downt lane for the simple reason of the fantastic atmosphere, let's keep it that way. COYF
If only it was that simple..... do you really think as a club we have a spare 4/5 million every day other off season to build a new stand ? If we had that kind of money we would have done it .

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Feb 2021, 16:22

Whatever time it takes between stands as got to be better than the time and money that has already gone chasing a pipe dream. If I remember rightly it was 2013 (I stand to be corrected) when we turned up at wakefield town hall to lobby the council, so that's 8yrs ago now. We probably wouldn't need 4 new stands, maybe one longer seating stand with boxes and the rest could probably get away with a refurb. Either way, time is going by and something needs to happen for sure. 🤞

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 09 Feb 2021, 16:39

Wasn’t that about 2011???

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Feb 2021, 17:01

we look in envy with what Feath as done with their ground on a turnover far less than ours it shows if there is a will there is a way

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 09 Feb 2021, 17:18

It's like watching a ship sinking it will go under eventually. By the time they realise the new ground is a lost cause all the lifeboats and lifebelts will have gone. And I ain't a good swimmer so sod it. :-&

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Feb 2021, 18:50

I know it was a while ago and it was a good turnout from the Cas faithful, but I have slept since then 🤯 While Fev have done a great job, I don't think a old golfing stand or temporary stand is the solution for downt lane imo. I think the priority is a full length seating stand with boxes and new dressing rooms, and surely as a club we can get enough shcillings together to do summat about the bogs.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 09 Feb 2021, 19:43

tigerfeat wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 08:49 Wakefield are about to have a new stand built for them doubt they will be too concerned about what happens to Cas tbh
Now this is not a joke but the planners have visited Belle vue as one objection suggested Otter “droppings” had been seen around the ground! :)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Feb 2021, 20:14

JIN JER wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 19:43
tigerfeat wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 08:49 Wakefield are about to have a new stand built for them doubt they will be too concerned about what happens to Cas tbh
Now this is not a joke but the planners have visited Belle vue as one objection suggested Otter “droppings” had been seen around the ground! :)
Nothing to do with planning permission would surprise me mate ha
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Feb 2021, 21:00

Who is going to build this new stand and with what funding? Are they sure it wasn't rocking horse sh*t that'd been seen, allegedly??

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 09 Feb 2021, 21:33

Sounds like otter chaos jinj......😉

Brummietiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Brummietiger » 09 Feb 2021, 22:00

SuffolkTiger wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 21:33
More likely Bullsxxt

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 09 Feb 2021, 23:51

SuffolkTiger wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 21:33
Boom boom :clap:

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 09 Feb 2021, 23:53

Tigers1926 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 21:00 Who is going to build this new stand and with what funding? Are they sure it wasn't rocking horse sh*t that'd been seen, allegedly??
Henry boot have been mentioned, as for finance Yorkcourt are supposedly funding it......And yeah I know. :D

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 10 Feb 2021, 13:13

Tigers1926 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 18:50 I know it was a while ago and it was a good turnout from the Cas faithful, but I have slept since then 🤯 While Fev have done a great job, I don't think a old golfing stand or temporary stand is the solution for downt lane imo. I think the priority is a full length seating stand with boxes and new dressing rooms, and surely as a club we can get enough shcillings together to do summat about the bogs.
Neither of which have been used at Fev. They re-built an old stand from Scarborough Town FC which is now fully covered and has bog standard seating. It also has space underneath that has been converted into small business units with the potential for all-year round income.

They did of course manage to get a new 'main' stand by having the 'misfortune' of the old one burning down with their other seated stand paid for through a 5 year sponsorship deal.

Much of the construction of the stands and ongoing maintenance work is carried out by volunteers and this is the key.

Not rocket science but commitment...

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 10 Feb 2021, 17:06

Have we got it?

Exiled
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Exiled » 16 Mar 2021, 22:43

As a kid I spent a lot of time watching Cas down the lane. I was happy enough in the Wheldon road stand, banging my heel against the corrugated iron back of the stand, singing along. Even if I had wanted a drink and a snack at half-time, I never had the money to buy them. On to the pitch at the end for some prized sock tags, if you were fast and lucky enough. A 10 min walk and back home or playing out with mates.

Fast forward 30 odd years and my demands of watching live sports have changed somewhat considerably. I want easy access to the ground via main roads, to park my pricey car in a safe space. I want to be able to have a nice meal before the game, with a choice of decent wines, spirits and beers. And I want to be able to sit in a box with friends/family or clients. I want to impress those clients with the modern, comfortable and clean facilities that are on offer and I want them to become RL fans and fans of Cas.

Until we move into a new ground, where all of the above is possible for as many people as possible, then the club will forever be stuck in the past and missing out on the potential income streams that a first class corporate experience will bring. I can get it when visiting other clubs, I can get it when I go to other sports, but I want it for the club I love and the sport that I love the most.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 17 Mar 2021, 08:34

its what most of us want & perhaps the worst thing is that as long as we have this promise of a new ground hanging over us the powers that be will never do anything to the "old girl" and as far as we know nothing has been done to make the "old girl" more fit for purpose than she was last year so sadly the decline continues.