Post by old cas lass » 08 Jan 2021, 09:14

Torn his pectoral muscle in training.
Out for 10-12 weeks.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Luke gale

Post by Mucky1978 » 08 Jan 2021, 09:42

Bad news for Rhinos hardly any decent forwards and now there best player is out.
Could be a long season for them.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Jan 2021, 10:44

Could be worse he could be at a team that uses wheelie bins full of cold water as ice baths 😉
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 08 Jan 2021, 11:26

I do now wonder if his body is trying to tell him something. Not been truly fit for a number of years now and notably his lst two at cas

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 08 Jan 2021, 11:35

Lol Tigerfeat.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 08 Jan 2021, 17:05

Oh dear, how sad, never mind 🤔

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 08 Jan 2021, 22:10

Hope he makes a good recovery.
There’s a World Cup at the end of 2021 (hopefully) and Luke Gale is by far England’s best 7. We stand a much better chance of winning the World Cup if Gale’s had a strong year and is in form at the end of the season.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Jan 2021, 08:25

nottinghamtiger wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 22:10 Hope he makes a good recovery.
There’s a World Cup at the end of 2021 (hopefully) and Luke Gale is by far England’s best 7. We stand a much better chance of winning the World Cup if Gale’s had a strong year and is in form at the end of the season.
Could be Richardson n Trueman if they have a good season.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 09 Jan 2021, 09:13

Sounds good to me Jackknife 🐯🐯

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Jan 2021, 11:19

jackknife wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 08:25
Both will have to up their game massively. That’s not to say they won’t be playing for England eventually (many halves don’t play international RL until their late 20s/early 30s), but at the moment they are nowhere near.
George Williams will be a shoe-in (assuming he’s fit) given his NRL form and the fact Shaun Wane is coach. Gale and Lomax are streets ahead of the rest I think. Then there’s Widdop (though he didn’t go too well last year) who has bags if international experience.
I hope Wane picks on form, but at the moment I can’t see anything other than:
FB - Tomkins
W - Makinson
C - Up for grabs - maybe Hardaker or Farnworth
C - Gildart
W - McGillvary
SO - Williams
SH - Gale
P - Walmsley
H - Hodgson (though he’s never done well for England).
P - Thompson
SR - Whitehead
SR - Farrell
LF - Bateman.

S - Tom Burgess
S - Cooper
S - Philbin
S - Clark/Ratchford.

If Morgan Smithies and Oliver Partington go well, they stand a chance too. As does Ryan Sutton if he plays regularly at Canberra.
In terms of Cas, McShane can’t be ignored if he has another good year. Watts could easily make it, but I’m not sure Wane will forgive him for turning down Wigan when he came to us. Evalds is a top full-back, but can’t see Wane picking him over Tomkins. All three might be in the squad, but I’m not sure they’ll be picked to play the big games.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 09 Jan 2021, 16:21

Like that post Notts. Don't think you'll be far off there mate. Might be a little bit of tweaking when season kicks off but don't think you'll be far away.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Jan 2021, 15:42

I'd never celebrate his injury, but I also won't be sympathetic either, given how he forced his move away.

FWIW, the way George Williams played last season at 7 for Canberra, put's him firmly as England's 7 for the WC IMO (if it goes ahead). Although, Gale had a much better year last year performance wise, than I thought he would, to his credit.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Jan 2021, 20:42

heritage1926 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 15:42
I'd never celebrate his injury, but I also won't be sympathetic either, given how he forced his move away.

FWIW, the way George Williams played last season at 7 for Canberra, put's him firmly as England's 7 for the WC IMO (if it goes ahead). Although, Gale had a much better year last year performance wise, than I thought he would, to his credit.
He might wear 7, but these days halves tend to just play one side or the other. Williams tends to lead Canberra’s attack on the right edge. Gale tends to lead the left edge attack at Leeds (and beforehand at Cas).
I don’t think it matters what number they are wearing. As it stands, Williams and Gale are England’s best two halves. Followed by Lomax, who is the next obvious choice if either of those two are injured.
Beyond that (unless Widdop regains form), we don’t have any others capable of causing problems against the top teams.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 13 Jan 2021, 02:31

nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 11:19
Both will have to up their game massively. That’s not to say they won’t be playing for England eventually (many halves don’t play international RL until their late 20s/early 30s), but at the moment they are nowhere near.
George Williams will be a shoe-in (assuming he’s fit) given his NRL form and the fact Shaun Wane is coach. Gale and Lomax are streets ahead of the rest I think. Then there’s Widdop (though he didn’t go too well last year) who has bags if international experience.
FB - Tomkins
W - Makinson
C - Gildart
W - McGillvary
SO - Williams
SH - Gale
P - Walmsley
P - Thompson
SR - Whitehead
SR - Farrell
LF - Bateman.

S - Tom Burgess
S - Cooper
S - Philbin
S - Clark/Ratchford.

If Morgan Smithies and Oliver Partington go well, they stand a chance too. As does Ryan Sutton if he plays regularly at Canberra.
In terms of Cas, McShane can’t be ignored if he has another good year. Watts could easily make it, but I’m not sure Wane will forgive him for turning down Wigan when he came to us. Evalds is a top full-back, but can’t see Wane picking him over Tomkins. All three might be in the squad, but I’m not sure they’ll be picked to play the big games.
If fit then i think Percival will get the centre spot and Johnstone will be on the wing instead of the ageing McGillvary. Roby might get a spot if he plays like this year as well. Other than that it looks spot on.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Jan 2021, 09:04

The Firm wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 02:31
nottinghamtiger wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 11:19
FB - Tomkins
W - Makinson
C - Gildart
W - McGillvary
SO - Williams
SH - Gale
P - Walmsley
P - Thompson
SR - Whitehead
SR - Farrell
LF - Bateman.

S - Tom Burgess
S - Cooper
S - Philbin
S - Clark/Ratchford.

If fit then i think Percival will get the centre spot and Johnstone will be on the wing instead of the ageing McGillvary. Roby might get a spot if he plays like this year as well. Other than that it looks spot on.
Maybe, but Percival plays at left centre and I think Gildart is nailed on to start there. I’m not sure Wane will pick someone at right centre who doesn’t play there.
I’m a big fan of Tom Johnstone, but the lack of international games hits players like him. He’s never played against a top team and the World Cup maybe isn’t the best place to try him out. He might well be in the squad and get a run-out against one of the ‘lesser’ teams, but I don’t think he’ll be playing the big games.
The only issue with Makinson and McGilvary is that they both generally play on the right. But I don’t think that’s such an issue for wingers.
We have great depth at 9 and players who all offer something different in Hodgson (who needs to up his game for England if selected), McShane (again, never played at the highest level), Clark (not looked great for a while, but still has the ability) and Roby. It’s the position where Wane may well have the most difficult job selecting players for the squad and then the starting 17.