Club Ideas

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
CasG

Club Ideas

Post by CasG » 18 Oct 2020, 10:56

Thought I'd start a thread for suggestions for the club. We seem to be just going through the motions not just as a club but most of rugby league with no new ideas being tried out. Most of these will be under normal circumstances, when we can get back watching rugby in stadiums!

Drums - are drums allowed? For me they create so much atmosphere and should be allowed at Cas. We can then nominate a 'drummer' in the Wheldon Road end that gets the crowd going.

Pubs - work with pubs in the area. Create a fan pub crawl to the ground on match days so that everyone is together. The drummer can lead the way! Maybe a free drink for fans wearing the current home shirt.

Media - our social media content isn't very good. We could strap a gopro to Powelly and post the footage on twitter/fb/insta, nothing about tactics obviously but it'd be interesting to watch as a fan. Create a podcast, Ogi and Jy were doing this and I sometimes watched full episodes but I think it got stopped. Have fan competitions on match days, best dressed fan/tweet a pic of you sat in the stadium on match day for your chance to win a signed ball etc.

Stadium capacity - attendances have dropped since 2017 so we should use it. Go to local schools and give kids in each class a free ticket each month. The children will have to be accompanied by an adult which means more ticket sales. Affiliate tickets, run a first come first served system where if a fan can get 3 of his mates to buy 3 adult tickets the fan gets his ticket for free.

Investments - this is probably one for the future but the club should be investing in other areas eg property. Create a Cas Tigers brand of rentable property around Castleford.

Add your thoughts and ideas below...

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Club Ideas

Post by Piquad1 » 18 Oct 2020, 11:11

I'm not too good at coming up with ideas that anyone would give a toss about. But I'll go along with your idea Casg Would be good if we all got on board. Just imagine it all fans meeting up in town centre b4 match and all traveling down together behind the drummer. Be like miners galas used to be. Bring it on.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Oct 2020, 11:49

I’m for all that.
Some on here though detest the drum, so not everyone will get on board with that.
Would love to see fans walking down to the ground marching from let’s say glassblower, what a sight that would be. Problem with that, everyone sets off at different times. I for instance live on the Healdfield estate, I don’t set off until 30 mins before game due to problems standing to long.

The social media part is not right good.
For instance, if you want to keep up dated with interviews you have to pay for tigers tv. I get more from chris Chester on social media than I do my own club. Interviews should be for everyone.

Sadly the club doesn’t always if ever listen to the fans ideas.
I’ve seen some great ideas from fans over the years only for the club to dismiss them.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Oct 2020, 12:14

There's not much comes out of the club unless they want your money
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Johnlewis1920
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Johnlewis1920 » 18 Oct 2020, 13:30

Better recruitment and retention of all staff priority COYF

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 18 Oct 2020, 14:05

Johnlewis1920 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 13:30 Better recruitment and retention of all staff priority COYF
:clap:

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 Oct 2020, 14:43

New fitness and conditioning team???

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 18 Oct 2020, 16:00

Piquad1 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 11:11 I'm not too good at coming up with ideas that anyone would give a toss about. But I'll go along with your idea Casg Would be good if we all got on board. Just imagine it all fans meeting up in town centre b4 match and all traveling down together behind the drummer. Be like miners galas used to be. Bring it on.
Sorry the idea of fans marching down the lane at the back of a drummer is a no no the way we are going at cas you won’t have above 10 fans to March

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Oct 2020, 16:16

CasG wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 10:56 Thought I'd start a thread for suggestions for the club. We seem to be just going through the motions not just as a club but most of rugby league with no new ideas being tried out. Most of these will be under normal circumstances, when we can get back watching rugby in stadiums!

Drums - are drums allowed? For me they create so much atmosphere and should be allowed at Cas. We can then nominate a 'drummer' in the Wheldon Road end that gets the crowd going.

Pubs - work with pubs in the area. Create a fan pub crawl to the ground on match days so that everyone is together. The drummer can lead the way! Maybe a free drink for fans wearing the current home shirt.

Media - our social media content isn't very good. We could strap a gopro to Powelly and post the footage on twitter/fb/insta, nothing about tactics obviously but it'd be interesting to watch as a fan. Create a podcast, Ogi and Jy were doing this and I sometimes watched full episodes but I think it got stopped. Have fan competitions on match days, best dressed fan/tweet a pic of you sat in the stadium on match day for your chance to win a signed ball etc.

Stadium capacity - attendances have dropped since 2017 so we should use it. Go to local schools and give kids in each class a free ticket each month. The children will have to be accompanied by an adult which means more ticket sales. Affiliate tickets, run a first come first served system where if a fan can get 3 of his mates to buy 3 adult tickets the fan gets his ticket for free.

Investments - this is probably one for the future but the club should be investing in other areas eg property. Create a Cas Tigers brand of rentable property around Castleford.

Add your thoughts and ideas below...
Drums - no thanks. I know people who didn’t buy a season ticket and no longer attend games (before Covid) because of it. Nobody decides whether or not to attend for the opportunity to hear a drum.

Pubs - we actually need to do the opposite of what you suggest. We want people drinking in the stadium, not in local pubs beforehand. Why would a pub give out free drinks to people wearing a Cas shirt?

Media - you’re right; our social media content is pathetically poor. The club see it as pure advertisement, rather than an opportunity for interaction.

Tickets - free child tickets are a good idea, but it has to be limited otherwise those who buy junior season tickets end up feeling aggrieved. Games with traditionally low attendances are ideal for this. The club had the ‘Kids for a quid’ idea, but even managed to screw that up by saying kids had to enter the ground 90 minutes before kick-off in the coldest week of the year. They also annoyed local schools by making one of the games a Thursday night.
I’d still argue in favour of a mini season-ticket that would allow people to buy a block of games rather than only have the very different choices of either a full season-ticket or paying for individual matches.

Investments - you’re kidding. We struggle to break even as an RL club. There is no way we should be thinking about entering other commercial areas. And there is no money to invest.

Ultimately, I think on-field success is the key. In the last three years, we’ve taken the cheap option in terms of recruitment and retention and it’s reflected in everything else we now see in terms of a rapid decline. We’ve given long contracts to average players who didn’t need them and our recruitment has been shockingly poor (with the exception of Liam Watts).
There is also the elephant that is our awful facilities. Sport is an entertainment business, and we will not attract new supporters with the facilities we offer. There will always be those who attend purely for the game, but for most attending a game is about the experience and enjoyment of doing so. I’m afraid we will not draw in new customers by providing an inadequate and frankly disgusting physical environment.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 18 Oct 2020, 16:35

Well those first 2 suggestions are the most ridiculous suggestions I have ever heard.

You need to stop making suggestions if that’s the best you can come up with.

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 Oct 2020, 16:47

New owners would be nice.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Oct 2020, 16:52

duke street 10 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:47 New owners would be nice.
Like who.

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 18 Oct 2020, 16:58

owners that don't sell there best players and only use half of it for a replacement.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 Oct 2020, 17:01

old cas lass wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:52
Like who.
Test the waters,advertise the idea of selling.
Do you think I.F's hearts in it?.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Oct 2020, 17:06

duke street 10 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 17:01
old cas lass wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:52
Like who.
Test the waters,advertise the idea of selling.
Do you think I.F's hearts in it?.
No I don’t think his heart is in it.
I don’t think he’ll sell either.
Ain’t he the majority share holder.

barking
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by barking » 18 Oct 2020, 17:06

greenhouse wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:58 owners that don't sell there best players and only use half of it for a replacement.
Thats called balancing the books............................ we are not a rich club.

feel free to invest if you think you can do any better

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 18 Oct 2020, 17:10

so crowds plummeting will balance the books.i only wish i had the funds to get rid of the shower that running the club.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Oct 2020, 17:13

Only a lunatic would invest in a rugby league club at this moment in time
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 18 Oct 2020, 17:23

barking wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 17:06
greenhouse wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:58 owners that don't sell there best players and only use half of it for a replacement.
Thats called balancing the books............................ we are not a rich club.

feel free to invest if you think you can do any better
Cas receive the same as everyone else from central funding. The club have stated they have spent the full salary cap again this year.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 Oct 2020, 17:25

Attend to the basics - history says that, unless you have a winning team, you can forget tinkering with anything else.

Short term (for the start of next season - presuming that we can get back into the grounds):

1. Playing squad
- Strengthen the squad (a minimum of 2 aggressive forwards, a powerful centre & a gobby half back that can boss the show are the minimum)
- Sort the fitness & conditioning - we have an appalling injury record
- Replace Danny with a forwards orientated coach who will work on our lack of grit & mental toughness

2. Marketing & relationship with the supporter base.
- Employ someone who has a clear plan
- Issue more simple updates on the club website - not everyone uses social media or wants to join Tigers TV
- Overhaul the shops on line offer. The range is limited and lacks any class. Needs basic retailing elements introduced.
- Sort the club colours. Are they black & orange (playing strip) or black & amber (Club Castleford & our history)?

3. Match day
- The queues are simply unacceptable. Employ some staff.
- Get stewards to supervise the toilet facilities.
- Get some basic maintenance & cleaning done

Mid term (all the above plus....)

1. Playing squad.
- Understand why our youth system isn't working. What are other clubs doing that we aren't?
- Sort the 5 year plan for recruitment & retention
- Get overseas recruitment right. Need players that add value and help the youngsters coming through

2. Marketing & relationship with the supporter base.
- Listen to fans & understand what club merchandise they will spend their money on - then stock it
- Improve Tigers Radio
- Have regular meetings with supporters. Video them and put a link on the club website so we can all watch them
- Be more ambitious with sponsors - target bigger brands

3. Match day.
- Open the ground earlier on match days. Invest more in family entertainment before games. Allow fans to spend money (as opposed to spending it in pubs)
- Get school age children interested in coming to games by providing attractive incentives to attend
- Sort the ladies toilets out (we joke about it but my current wife is from Manchester and even she would be appalled)

Even before Covid we were drifting and appeared to have a lack of clear and simple leadership. We are Championship (no disrespect) standard off the park and always have been.

We need to get a grip and maximise the potential of what is a fantastic club that is steeped in the history of the game.