3 years is a long time in rugby league.....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: 3 years is a long time in rugby league.....

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Oct 2020, 08:39

Start of 2017 we had Luke Gale Benny Roberts Rangi and Tom Holmes as half back options just a example of how the squad as deterioted in a short space of time
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 09 Oct 2020, 09:24

The DP pre match press conference two days ago is worth a listen where he says fans need to give a little bit of latency for the players this year and shouldn't be worried about the future.

It is a shame he has to come out with these statements given we have some very reactionary and OTT fans at times. The DP out stuff has been particularly frustrating.

Regarding what has changed over the last 3 years, not much.

We over achieved in 2017. All the stars aligned and other teams fell off the ladder. Every team goes through these periods. However, on paper at the start we weren't a top of the table side. We were top 4 contenders. Under Powell we have gone from top 4 outsiders and that has changed to being top 4 regulars. This season has been the worst we have had in a long while and there are so many extenuating reasons, in my mind it is worth writing off.

Travelling across the Pennines for most games, no fans, one game on our own patch since lockdown, short turnarounds, no pre season as sorts after 5 months off, inability to train together during the 5 months of lockdown and now positive Covid cases. We also lost our first choice full back who knew all the plays and had trained for months with our half backs.

Same for every team but as always, the teams that generally are most able to handle this are the ones where players stay fit and are able to rest and rotate. Hull have 12 missing, Wakefield are down to their last 17 too. We could go across SL and find injuries across all clubs and that will get worse over the next 6 weeks as games are played every 3 or 4 days.

So it comes down to this:
- Consistency and form: when the team plays well, we usually win, particularly when our key players perform

- A settled side: we haven't had a settled side, changing our spine and backs weekly and not being able to put out our best side. A lot of which has come from onfield foul play unpunished.

- Luck: It is a huge part. Bounce of the ball, a refereeing call, a ball that doesn't stick. A lot comes down to luck and a lot has gone against us this year.

I guess the message from this season is worry about the wellbeing of the players, get through the season and write it off as a bad job and get prepped for a big 2021.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Oct 2020, 09:46

Totally disagree I looked at our squad after the boxing day friendly and thought we would win the grand final and invested a fair share of the kids inheritance on us doing that...

DP had been building the squad up to where we stood at the start of 2017 bringing Zak in looked at the time to be the final piece in the jigsaw after 6-8 rounds we were clear favourites to win the grand final and that price shortened every week until that day in October
Last edited by tigerfeat on 09 Oct 2020, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Lombardi

hawktiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hawktiger » 09 Oct 2020, 09:58

Loss of rankin has been a big factor in form experienced full back provides communication which is important in organising defence and attack . when kicks went up he was good at timing run to pressure full back . Compare that with eden who missed timed run against a catalans full back who had already missed a couple of catches . gives a penalty away and catalans started getting on the front foot

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 09 Oct 2020, 12:39

So if the squad is to pretty much stay the same...ditto the people that run the club., Then the strength & conditioning and injury rehab has to be better.

Fans can understand a season of bad luck with injuries,but it been more than that. It's needs investigating asap. I'm getting fed up of reading posts that go " when we get our full strength side" out...just isn't going to happen.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Oct 2020, 13:16

It's the injuries not in games that get people down everybody knows how tough the game is if you get injured in a game people can accept that
And how long players are off from getting injured to playing again I'd be looking at all that side of things before next season
Vince Lombardi

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 09 Oct 2020, 20:03

Just another uninformed opinion, but here goes.

I think Powell, Danny and Ryan get the most out of the players we have. I suspect a lot of the results we have seen over Powell’s years are the players putting the thorough pre-season training and (opponent specific) game preparation into practice.

Other teams, and coaches, may play a “less coached” way, relying more week to week on individual skills and players individual ideas.

You can see Powell is visibly frustrated. With the disruption post-restart I think he is in a very difficult spot where he can’t coach as he is used to, and on field performances are suffering more for us than clubs that have different coaching approaches.

I think we all, and Powell, need to take a chill pill and get through this season to, hopefully, more normal times ahead, where his style can thrive again.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 11 Oct 2020, 13:26

I stated at the start of season going into this year with only 2 half backs was crazy , we need to bring in another one

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 11 Oct 2020, 13:43

Don’t recall anyone complaining about “only having two halves” when we beat Saints 28-14 to go joint top after 7 games. In fact, I’m sure most were praising the squad balance that we had, especially the beneficial moves of Blair to the back row and Pete to right centre.

I’m also sure that most were happy with Rankin as half back cover when things were going great back in February and March.

I just can’t wait for the season to be over...

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 11 Oct 2020, 13:45

I agree Fumper. Losing Rankin proved to be a disaster as it turned out.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Oct 2020, 13:52

Fumper27 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 13:43

I just can’t wait for the season to be over...
Ditto.

Robbo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Robbo » 11 Oct 2020, 16:29

We over achieved in 2017.

I am speechless to read the above Hudd.

Its a pretty level field now with salary cap. We have the best supporters and the greatest number as a % of the population.

If the marketing was right it could be even more. We are the Peoples club/the fans club......supported by many neutrals.

We give them little in return.

I think fitness/diet/conditioning etc wants to be off season focus. We cant keep playing players all over the place.

Robbo
Truth is always best !

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 11 Oct 2020, 18:34

It's a rallying article to supporters by the coach on the club website.

But isn't it something the Chairmen , Chief Executive or Director of Rugby should be putting out?. It smacks of weak leadership or leaders who couldn't give a monkeys and are happy for Powell to take any flak.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Oct 2020, 20:51

duke street 10 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 18:34 It's a rallying article to supporters by the coach on the club website.

But isn't it something the Chairmen , Chief Executive or Director of Rugby should be putting out?. It smacks of weak leadership or leaders who couldn't give a monkeys and are happy for Powell to take any flak.
The article is from the monthly magazine, ROAR. He writes an article every month
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 11 Oct 2020, 22:30

HuddsTigers wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 20:51
duke street 10 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 18:34 It's a rallying article to supporters by the coach on the club website.

The article is from the monthly magazine, ROAR. He writes an article every month
I don't think every article he writes ends up on the club website does it? It saves the powers that be the time and effort from saying anything in this current downturn. They are mute and invisible.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Oct 2020, 07:18

duke street 10 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 22:30
HuddsTigers wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 20:51

I don't think every article he writes ends up on the club website does it? It saves the powers that be the time and effort from saying anything in this current downturn. They are mute and invisible.
I'm going on the theory no news is good news but they should be pushing the clubs case all the time like Steve Gill used to do
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Oct 2020, 07:22

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 13:45 I agree Fumper. Losing Rankin proved to be a disaster as it turned out.
Think Gaz Obrian as been are best player since the re-start don't think we've lost out on Rankin leaving
He should sign the contract Cas have offered I doubt Toronto will be let back in if they are it will just be a matter of time before history repeats itself
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Oct 2020, 08:18

I agree that O’Brien was a great signing but we were top of the league and on fire when Rankin left. We’ve won one game since and been really struggling for cover in our spine. Can’t remember if O’Brien has been here since the restart ( I’m pretty sure he wasn’t)but I still think the impact of Rankin leaving had a major impact on our momentum at a crucial time which has proved disastrous.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Oct 2020, 08:40

No Rankin was playing well the whole team were flying before lockdown
Vince Lombardi

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 16 Oct 2020, 18:00

Surreycasfan wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 09:38 ..... so 3 years ago today

You have 3 reasons to share with what’s gone wrong....

For me

1) Gale; we have never looked the same in attack
2) Hardaker, never found replacement full back
3) Webster, when you look back at the tries he scored, our centres have not had the same threat since

There are obviously many others, but these are my three
1, Hardaker
2, Hardaker
3 Hardaker, He was given a chance and paid Cas back by sniffing lines of Cocaine and ripping the heart out the players just before the biggest day of their life.