Present Climate

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Big Shug
Academy Player
Academy Player

Present Climate

Post by Big Shug » 04 Oct 2020, 10:40

Clearly, our great team are suffering from both poor form and the ongoing pandemic.
Having watched the so called top 4 perform with their youth being blooded make me so angry as we are a so called grass roots RL area with not much future talent inbound.

On to Thursday, will we get anything from the Leeds game with a Luke Gale pulling the strings, what a master class against Wigan yesterday. Hopefully, a few bodies back a fair referee and 2 days extra rest might see us resume normal business against the Whino’s.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Present Climate

Post by Mucky1978 » 04 Oct 2020, 10:48

Leeds will hammer us I’m afraid to say.
I’m going for 40-6
Gale to score 2
Penalty count 14-3 in Leeds favour.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Oct 2020, 11:08

I think the grass root area is about exhausted.
Schools around the cas area are bringing no young talent through.
Not sure on the 16 youngsters that’s just signed where they are from.
It’s a sad sorry state of affairs.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 04 Oct 2020, 13:35

I think player participation has dropped in the sport over the last few years at amateur level.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 04 Oct 2020, 15:04

when you look at the injuries im amazed anyone wants to play rugby.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 04 Oct 2020, 20:24

old cas lass wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:08 I think the grass root area is about exhausted.
Dear oh dear OCL. You can’t blame the state of our club on the schools. Poor shout.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Oct 2020, 20:39

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 20:24
old cas lass wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:08 I think the grass root area is about exhausted.
Dear oh dear OCL. You can’t blame the state of our club on the schools. Poor shout.
Just answering the OP.
He mentioned cas being an area of grass roots Rugby players.
And none coming through.
Like I said, local schools, cas AA and Airedale AA arnt bringing young Local talent through.
Cas schools used to be regulars winners at the school finals.
Not anymore. Why.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Oct 2020, 20:54

old cas lass wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 20:39
Just answering the OP.
And none coming through.
Like I said, local schools, cas AA and Airedale AA arnt bringing young Local talent through.
Not anymore. Why.
That is because the core function of a school is not to produce RL players.
They are there to offer an all-round education that gives all their pupils the best chance of a positive future. Generally, that involves ensuring their pupils get the best grades they are capable of, not investing a significant amount of time (and money) into trying to produce a handful of RL players.
Schools serve all the the community and their priority is education. Their purpose is not to produce future RL players.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Oct 2020, 21:31

nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 20:54
Just answering the OP.
And none coming through.
Not anymore. Why.
They are there to offer an all-round education that gives all their pupils the best chance of a positive future. Generally, that involves ensuring their pupils get the best grades they are capable of, not investing a significant amount of time (and money) into trying to produce a handful of RL players.
Schools serve all the the community and their priority is education. Their purpose is not to produce future RL players.
Exactly notts.
Finance arnt there for sport like 15/20 years ago.
Yes a certain amount of PE/games are on the curriculum,
After school sports ie, rugby football, hockey netball arnt a priority.
In fact most kids would far sooner go home and jump straight on their play stations.
The majority of school kids arnt interested in sports.
I have a great example but can’t put in on here.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Oct 2020, 21:44

old cas lass wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 21:31
nottinghamtiger wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 20:54
Just answering the OP.
And none coming through.
Not anymore. Why.
Exactly notts.
Finance arnt there for sport like 15/20 years ago.
Yes a certain amount of PE/games are on the curriculum,
After school sports ie, rugby football, hockey netball arnt a priority.
In fact most kids would far sooner go home and jump straight on their play stations.
The majority of school kids arnt interested in sports.
I have a great example but can’t put in on here.
To be fair, part of me understands why they don’t.
Would I encourage my child to pursue a career in RL? Absolutely not. It’s poorly paid (mostly), insecure, short-term and has an almost-guaranteed impact on long-term physical health and future job prospects. I’d rather my kids spent their time getting decent qualifications that are more likely to set them up for life.

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 04 Oct 2020, 22:35

Not all children are good at passing exams, but are very good at playing sport. Castleford has progressed a lot over the last 10 Years in education. So maybe sport is taking a back burner.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 05 Oct 2020, 08:27

With no dual reg or reserves next season and most super league teams not paying the under 19s next year, if I was a budding young player or a fringe super league player I think I’d be looking at getting a job and playing in the championship.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 05 Oct 2020, 10:20

There is a lot of sense spoken in this discussion in my humble opinion.

I have certainly seen a big change in the social set up for my own kids - very little extra curricular clubs and stuff anymore, a lot of them are private/commercial now and I agree with what most people said above. The primary purpose of schools is foundation education not sport. I don't blame schools with the financial and legal implications for doing less of this and they're primarily judged on academic results.

Anecdotally and entirely a personal point - on the participation side my own son tells me in secondary school that they play sports in ability groups, often the top group play against the second set as it were - He suggests to me that kind of ruins it for everyone in that the best kids are not challenged and the ones who play for fun have no fun because they're being tonked off the park every lesson. No easy answers but mass participation is well documented to be the route to more quality at the top of the pyramid and I guess that if it isn't fun then kids won't want to do it. He tells me every week they should either separate or play in mixed ability teams that would make it more fun for everyone.

I enjoyed playing a lot of sports, but never considered myself particularly good at any of them, but that didn't stop me wanting to participate. The sporting environment my son is in at school he tells me lacks the enjoyment and therefore erodes his enthusiasm for participating.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Oct 2020, 16:50

Teachers can have a big influence Percy White did a lot at bringing players through first at a CAS School he did the same when ne moved to Normanton modern

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 05 Oct 2020, 17:12

Schools years 7-11/12 may not have a primary function of providing sporting opportunities but education in sport remains vital for some.

It is certainly the case that higher education courses in sports do exist for 16/17 year olds and these can be used as a basis for a career in sport, playing, coaching, nutrition, fitness, physiotherapy and so on. For me, having a keen interest in sport seems central to all these goals so high school education should be including sport as an educational tool.

In addition, local junior clubs should be linked to the pro clubs somehow.

The future of the game is the kids of today.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Oct 2020, 19:46

praise most go out to the unsung heroes that keep the amateur game going throughout the game there are thousands of people doing their bit to keep our game alive giving their time for free and helping in many other ways, some people never give a thought to were the players start their careers Normanton before the pandemic were running 16 teams kids to open age plus ladies teams these teams need refs playing kit and fields to play on the list could go on

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 05 Oct 2020, 20:01

Percy White at Normy modern school was a fantastic bloke who took us to play other schools after hours and always made sure we got home. When we joined up with the Normy Grammar school they made us play union and only a couple of us got in the team, but we soon got fed up of it, totally different game and not as enjoyable with the new sports teachers and some of the snobby kids. Went in to throwing the javelin for the school and old chalkey White use to let me take one home to practice on the playing fields down Altofts, can you imagine that being allowed nowadays!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Oct 2020, 20:22

Tigers1926 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 20:01 Percy White at Normy modern school was a fantastic bloke who took us to play other schools after hours and always made sure we got home. When we joined up with the Normy Grammar school they made us play union and only a couple of us got in the team, but we soon got fed up of it, totally different game and not as enjoyable with the new sports teachers and some of the snobby kids. Went in to throwing the javelin for the school and old chalkey White use to let me take one home to practice on the playing fields down Altofts, can you imagine that being allowed nowadays!!
The thing is, schools aren’t like that any more. Teachers are judged on the progress of pupils academically, even in practical subjects like PE, and are under so much scrutiny to achieve results that they are forced to only do stuff that impacts on grades.
There will be extra-curricular opportunities, but the days of the school teacher developing athletes are well and truly gone. They don’t have time and they aren’t judged on it. And nor are schools. Ofsted are only interested in academic success, so that’s where school have to put all their efforts to avoid a poor inspection judgement. How many Ofsted inspection reports mention sporting success, such as winning the year 7 tournament at Wembley? None.
It’s a wider national issue. There is no value placed on sport in schools by policy-makers, ministers or Ofsted. Therefore, there is no incentive for schools to put significant time and resources into sport.
Sad, but true unfortunately.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 05 Oct 2020, 20:26

Nail on head notts.
Spot on.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 05 Oct 2020, 20:41

Your right Notts, but it just goes to show how times have changed from then to now and not always for the better, imo. I know how I'd rather have been brought up and taught, sure I'm gonna be biased but I think it makes for a more rounded person when the person can see there's more to school than sat behind a desk.