The lord and saviour !!

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

The lord and saviour !!

Post by Tigersbarmy » 16 Sep 2020, 08:43

What’s all your opinions about Steve Gill ? Everyone is entitled to there own opinion . Me for one I think it was great how Steve changed the club around and we can never forgot what he did for us . Although I’m lead to believe Daryl wasn’t his first choice and he wanted jimmy lowes . Think the handling of Zak hardaker situation was very complicated and we’re still suffering 3 years later because of it . Went behind Daryls back while Powell went down under to try sign a full back and Steve brought in his personal friend james Clare back to the club and signed james green , Garry lo , Cory aston , james Clare , Mitch Clark. Under 4 months before we was in a grand final 😳
Attachments
0BF427EE-9B1E-4636-8465-25F545DB6C09.png

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: The lord and saviour !!

Post by gateman » 16 Sep 2020, 09:11

This is an old chestnut, i am in Steve Gills camp the lad bled CAS TIGERS he took the club over when it was in dire straights looking like we were going to fold. on the first few weeks of taking over he cut in house costs saving thousands of pounds keeping us trading, he made mistakes re silly ZAK but without the lad taking over when he did we would have been in no position to sign anyone

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Sep 2020, 09:13

We've still not recovered from what Hardaker did and the pigs ear Gill made of things for the months after till he was shown the exit door
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Sep 2020, 09:16

One of the things we got right was sacking Hardaker. No club continues to pay a player who is serving a drugs ban. That decision was proven to be the right one when he developed addictions during his suspension and culminated in him being arrested and convicted for drink driving. The bloke is an absolute liability and we are better off, as a club, without him. The mistake was not replacing him for three years.
To be honest, I put our success down to Powell (plus Orr and Sheridan) more than Gill though.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Sep 2020, 09:27

The mistake was after Gill left trying for months to re-sign Hardaker and failing leaving us without a full-back for the start of 2018
It's all water under the bridge now tho
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 16 Sep 2020, 10:06

I stand by Steve in the hardaker situation. Only the strongest treatment for a player that did that to us. We were favourites to win the grand final and would have won with him, and we had only recently paid a large fee for him.

No Cas fan should forget what hardaker did to this club.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 16 Sep 2020, 10:25

Didn’t he save us a lot of money by stopping ex players coming to games and getting a free meal and free ticket ? Isn’t this why dean Sampson and mal Reilly fell out with the club?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Sep 2020, 10:36

Why you raking all this up?
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 16 Sep 2020, 11:22

As others have stated why go over Gill's time as Chief Executive again?

As for his post on Social media, well I can imagine some things fans post on there are a little over the top, but It could be born out of a fear of Deja vu that we are heading back to a situation where he stepped into the role in the 1st place.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 16 Sep 2020, 11:31

Impossible for me to comment Either way without having all the facts available.

My opinion from a distance is that both Steve & DP had and still had the very best interest of the club at heart.

The situation 3 years ago felt like an internal breakdown in communication & slightly different agendas at play.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Sep 2020, 11:36

SuffolkTiger wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 11:31 Impossible for me to comment Either way without having all the facts available.

My opinion from a distance is that both Steve & DP had and still had the very best interest of the club at heart.

The situation 3 years ago felt like an internal breakdown in communication & slightly different agendas at play.
Slightly different agendas 😀
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 16 Sep 2020, 11:45

Couldn’t really comment as it’s impossible to tell what, if anything at all on here is fact based.
I did like his tweet on the screenshot above though.

frainthepain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by frainthepain » 16 Sep 2020, 11:50

Powell and Gill fell out and the board (Ian fulton) go rid of Steve. Strange as the club did not make Steve's sacking public till about 6 months after. In the end they released a piece of news to media that Steve had left the club.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 16 Sep 2020, 12:46

Being senior in large organisations is rarely long term viable, especially in sport.

Steve and I had our differences, I never felt like he wasn't always doing what he thought was right, whether I agreed or not is irrelevant. But looking back at history with the benefit of hindsight is always easier than living it.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Sep 2020, 13:15

There was a buzz about the place when Gill was in charge especially the summer games it started in town at start of week and kept going till kick off great times to look back on now however it all ended
Vince Lombardi

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 16 Sep 2020, 14:07

Steve Gill saved the club, he made the choice to sign Powell , The previous CEO, Ferris wanted to take the club into admin, what would have been the end of Cas due to the value of assets we had, what would have been sold to pay the creditors, Gill changed everything, The feel good factor came back, and he was loved by most of our fans. That went POP when a drug addict who Cas gave a chance to resurrect his career destroyed the togetherness in the Dressing room, by taking drugs, and getting banned just before the Grand Final. Gill did the right thing, and the buzz what we had under his guardianship has gone, the people doing his job are mainly anonymous.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Sep 2020, 14:17

LOL!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 16 Sep 2020, 14:49

Steve is history now and it is always easy to judge with hindsight.
I met him once when l registered a complaint and he seemed a personable chap.
Although l thought perhaps the matter could have been delegated.
I did however come to the conclusion that there seemed to be a lack of organisation and professional.
Which seems still to be the case.
I feel now as then we as supporters were taken for granted.
Might work to an extent but not the way to attract future support or sponsorship.
Not living in Cas and without being itk.
He seemed like the right man at the time.
His appointment coincided with an upturn in the clubs fortunes.
Don't remember to many arguing against his appointment at the time.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 16 Sep 2020, 17:46

Someone explain to me why after a good 2017 year then , mark gratton decided to give him self a nice little 20 k bonus ?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Sep 2020, 18:12

Tigersbarmy wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 17:46 Someone explain to me why after a good 2017 year then , mark gratton decided to give him self a nice little 20 k bonus ?
Maybe because he can and no one will question it.