Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
frainthepain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Powell

Post by frainthepain » 11 Sep 2020, 14:39

A defeat to Hull in the Cup this week could be the last straw for him as far as I am concerned.
How many more squads can he bulid or how many crocked Australians can we let him sign continuously with us constantly coming up short?

His record in big games is terrible for us ands it's the same year in year out

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Powell

Post by Tigerman2014 » 11 Sep 2020, 14:43

Question is who would replace him ???? No one in my opinion

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 11 Sep 2020, 14:58

I think the club would be mad to let him go.

TonyM
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TonyM » 11 Sep 2020, 15:10

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 14:58 I think the club would be mad to let him go.
I agree.

I think with better backing Powell would be in the running to win everything in front of him, but with limited funds we're never going to rival the likes of Warrington/Wigan etc. Not all about the money on the pitch, but to build a squad for the future we need to entice the young and with the poor facilities on offer we'll always struggle getting them through the door. We harp on about not bringing through the youth but what if the ones we get simply arent good enough?. If DP goes then what?
Tony

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 11 Sep 2020, 15:12

Be a huge loss if he went.

Has had us punching above our weight from day 1.

Much was made of Wires injuries yesterday but if I bet of you added the salary of the 2 17's who played yesterday there wouldn't be much difference.

We compete with teams who have far bigger budgets and Powell is one of the main reasons.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 11 Sep 2020, 15:23

We over achieved big time in 2017, which I think lulled Cas fans in to a false sense of us being a better team than we are. We now seem to have this entitlement (me included) that we should be beating everyone and anyone.

Powell has taken some very ordinary blokes and made them cracking players mind.

MrRugby123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MrRugby123 » 11 Sep 2020, 15:25

It would be stupid to let Powell go, who exactly replaces him? No one can replace Powell and we should try and hold onto him as long as possible. The person behind the account of Frainthepain is a trouble causer and I have seen him post absolute rubbish a few times. Our squad will have a huge overall next season with comings and going’s to be announced in the not too distant future.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Sep 2020, 15:30

It's one of them were you moan about this and that but after one week of him leaving it would be like gulp where do we go from here it would be downwards at a rate of knots
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 11 Sep 2020, 15:33

The biggest problem for Powell is his ability to get the best out of ordinary players. The result sees the Club buy the less favourable players in the hope he will work his magic on them.

He has always had the ability to do this, and probably always will, so he's still the man for me at a club like ours.

A few poor ref decisions and some missed chances cost us last night, neither of which Powell can do anything about.

Get real folks...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Sep 2020, 15:48

He’s got lots of credit in the bank for me.
However, if he does move on the likes of Watson and Ward are excellent coaches who would do well at the club.

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 11 Sep 2020, 15:52

KB80 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 15:12 Be a huge loss if he went.

Has had us punching above our weight from day 1.

Much was made of Wires injuries yesterday but if I bet of you added the salary of the 2 17's who played yesterday there wouldn't be much difference.

We compete with teams who have far bigger budgets and Powell is one of the main reasons.
And we had 6 out as well .

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 11 Sep 2020, 16:05

The biggest problem for me is, when Powell turns run of the mill players in to good SL players, ultimately contracts and wages get bigger and we are seeing time and time again, certain players getting improved contracts then stagnating. Powell must be wondering where the hell some of these lads from 2017 have gone!

Powell is good, he's very good and 10 other SL teams would have him tomorrow, i'm sure of that.

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 11 Sep 2020, 16:11

People saying we’ve stagnated well without DP we’d nose dive I’d rather stagnate then go back to pre Powell days

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Sep 2020, 16:11

If we had the quality of Gale and Hardaker in the team playing how they were that season some of them players would look better again
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

westerbeast73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast73 » 11 Sep 2020, 16:14

No doubt Powell has turned Cas around but he is the one who picks the team and to pick players who are not playing well is wrong. The top 4 clubs are progressing and we are going backwards. He would also re shuffle the entire team if 1 position is missing as per Trueman and I just dont get why he cant use a younger player. He should have another half back at the club to cover 6 & 7 if hes not prepared to play a youngster. Maybe its out of his hands with the money situation. I think if we loose on Sunday he will question himself and maybe move on. Let's face it we've won no silverware apart from the hub cap and been off form in every game that's meant something.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 11 Sep 2020, 16:18

heritage1926 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:05 The biggest problem for me is, when Powell turns run of the mill players in to good SL players, ultimately contracts and wages get bigger and we are seeing time and time again, certain players getting improved contracts then stagnating. Powell must be wondering where the hell some of these lads from 2017 have gone!

Powell is good, he's very good and 10 other SL teams would have him tomorrow, i'm sure of that.
I agree with you on this.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 11 Sep 2020, 16:51

Realistically who could you get? And don't say Wane or Watson as there is more chance of Feki playing every game until his contract ends.

A few realistic names..

Andrew Henderson
James Ford
Richard Marshall

Or step up

Shez
Danny Orr

How many of them would excite you?

How many would improve us?

Or would you look overseas?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Sep 2020, 16:59

Casmoley wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:51 Realistically who could you get? And don't say Wane or Watson as there is more chance of Feki playing every game until his contract ends.

A few realistic names..

Andrew Henderson
James Ford
Richard Marshall

Or step up

Shez
Danny Orr

I suspect Watson would jump at the chance to coach our club. He’d be my second choice.
Danny Ward would be my third choice.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 11 Sep 2020, 17:03

nottinghamtiger wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:59
Casmoley wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:51 Realistically who could you get? And don't say Wane or Watson as there is more chance of Feki playing every game until his contract ends.

A few realistic names..

Andrew Henderson
James Ford
Richard Marshall

Or step up

Shez
Danny Orr

I suspect Watson would jump at the chance to coach our club. He’d be my second choice.
Danny Ward would be my third choice.

Disagree on Watson jumping to sign for us, agree on Ward a great shout.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 11 Sep 2020, 17:43

We were in a terrible place when Powell took over and hes waved a magic wand over us for the most part, got us competing at the right end of the table so naturally expectations grow and the targets get bigger

The first two,three years at Cas he changed the way we played every year to adapt to the players coming in and out but the last couple of years he seems to have stook to the same gameplan and for the most part we seem to have been figured out and easy to stop

All coaches,even the very best,get stagnant at some point and something has to give,wether thats a change in backroom personnel or something else i don't know

What i do know though is im not happy to settle for being 'a small club that occasionally knocks one of the big boys over'

I want us to drop this small club mentality (mainly from the fans) and compete and strive to be the best,cant progress if your happy to stand still
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan