Gareth O'Brien signing

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Nobody
Danny Orr

Re: Gareth O'Brien signing

Post by Nobody » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 am

Wow, we have an actual fullback :dance: took long enough like.
🐯 COYF!

TonyM
Dean Widders

Post by TonyM » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 am

tigerfeat wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:03 am
TonyM wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am
Mysterio wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 am
I’m also worried about the lack of opportunity for youth at Cas. When you look at what the Lancashire clubs and even some yorkshire clubs bring through it looks like we’re overdoing the pasta and not the steak
I've heard and witnessed myself how special the 16's last season were which included Hodgson but these kids will be wondering when their chance will come staying at Cas. Your Lancashire teams and I'd throw Leeds in there too seem much keener to bring through the young lads. Tony
But your talking about 17 years olds I'd have Oneill over Milner but it ain't going to happen you have to earn your stripes which hopefully Oneill will do and sign a new contract
I'd have Hodgson on the bench now he's got a step and would be far better someone like him over a forward
Powell does things his way and most of the time he's proved right
I'm with you regarding Oneill. Just my opinion but we seem to have a lot of young lads that we either lose at 18 to other clubs or end up just not renewing their contracts, this year examples Storey, Turner. Would these boys have been in a better position if DP had played them a more? You only develop further by being played surely and in a season like this my thought is there's no risk? Tony

heritage1926
Danny Orr

Post by heritage1926 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am

FWIW, I actually don't think Greg played bad at all Saturday. You could argue that he wasn't strong enough in attempting to tackle Folua for his try, but then again, if Greg is having to make a 1 on 1 tackle as last man, it means someone (Shenton) didn't do his job in the first place.

I'm glad Powell has acted on the FB position quickly. I can only think the rumours of Hodgson to Australia are true and DP would rather go with someone experienced like O'Brien than risk the young lad, if he's not going to be around for much longer.

I don't believe for one second O'Brien will come in and be the saviour, but he's certainly a better player over the years and a proven match winner on big occasions.

Scoopage
Danny Orr

Post by Scoopage » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:31 am

Happy with the signing.maybe we will look to keep him for the following season as fullback halfback cover?

tigerfeat
Dean Sampson

Post by tigerfeat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 am

TonyM wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 am
tigerfeat wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:03 am
TonyM wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am
Mysterio wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 am
I’m also worried about the lack of opportunity for youth at Cas. When you look at what the Lancashire clubs and even some yorkshire clubs bring through it looks like we’re overdoing the pasta and not the steak
I've heard and witnessed myself how special the 16's last season were which included Hodgson but these kids will be wondering when their chance will come staying at Cas. Your Lancashire teams and I'd throw Leeds in there too seem much keener to bring through the young lads. Tony
But your talking about 17 years olds I'd have Oneill over Milner but it ain't going to happen you have to earn your stripes which hopefully Oneill will do and sign a new contract
I'd have Hodgson on the bench now he's got a step and would be far better someone like him over a forward
Powell does things his way and most of the time he's proved right
I'm with you regarding Oneill. Just my opinion but we seem to have a lot of young lads that we either lose at 18 to other clubs or end up just not renewing their contracts, this year examples Storey, Turner. Would these boys have been in a better position if DP had played them a more? You only develop further by being played surely and in a season like this my thought is there's no risk? Tony
I agree with you it's a tough path for a young player to get a spot in the first team at Cas I've said many times id like to see them get more of a chance If Fleming comes I'm sure he will be ahead of some of the young forwards
Like I said that's the way Powell as always operated since he became coach
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
Danny Orr

Post by heritage1926 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:46 am

Scoopage wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:31 am
Happy with the signing.maybe we will look to keep him for the following season as fullback halfback cover?
He's an out and out fullback now. He fell out with McDermott for not playing him at FB. He'd be a costly back up for FB.

Tamworth Tiger
Michael Eagar

Post by Tamworth Tiger » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:53 am

He might just be glad to be playing in the shop window in Superleague next year

chief193
Kirk Dixon

Post by chief193 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 am

Really happy with this, suits our game. We should have signed him in 2018

Piquad1
Danny Orr

Post by Piquad1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:14 am

Nice move.

Flat Capper
Malcolm Reilly

Post by Flat Capper » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:28 am

From the reports I've seen it seems to have happened fairly quickly following Saturday's result which begs the question, why didn't we do it sooner, like as soon as we knew the situation at Toronto?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

nottinghamtiger
Michael Eagar

Post by nottinghamtiger » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:50 am

heritage1926 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am
FWIW, I actually don't think Greg played bad at all Saturday. You could argue that he wasn't strong enough in attempting to tackle Folua for his try, but then again, if Greg is having to make a 1 on 1 tackle as last man, it means someone (Shenton) didn't do his job in the first place.
Didn’t you see all the times he was completely out of position defensively? Literally not within 20m of where a full-back should be.
And the stupid penalty when Richardson put a kick up high and he chased the ball (despite the ref shouting twice to tell him he was offside) and conceded a penalty, from which Catalans scored?
Or what about that pass to the floor when he finally had the chance to move the ball out to our right edge.
The one-on-on tackle is not the issue - once an attacker running at pace only has the full-back to beat, there is usually only one winner. The issue is that is doesn’t have the positional sense to play at full-back, or the brains to play in such a pivotal position.

heritage1926
Danny Orr

Post by heritage1926 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:05 pm

nottinghamtiger wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:50 am
heritage1926 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am
Didn’t you see all the times he was completely out of position defensively? Literally not within 20m of where a full-back should be.
And the stupid penalty when Richardson put a kick up high and he chased the ball (despite the ref shouting twice to tell him he was offside) and conceded a penalty, from which Catalans scored?
Or what about that pass to the floor when he finally had the chance to move the ball out to our right edge.
The one-on-on tackle is not the issue - once an attacker running at pace only has the full-back to beat, there is usually only one winner. The issue is that is doesn’t have the positional sense to play at full-back, or the brains to play in such a pivotal position.
I think the blame lies at the feet of Powell who played him there.

yorky
Luke Gale

Post by yorky » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:18 pm

nothing on the official web site yet?

mart0042
Brad Davis
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Great news

westerbeast73
Dean Widders

Post by westerbeast73 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Fumper27 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:48 am
So, Niall Evalds IS NOT joining Cas early. I’m sure someone posted that months ago and was shouted down by a few....

Good to see the club reacting to Saturdays debacle.
YOU said about a week ago Evalds was coming if Cas paid a £5k fee which they obviously dont want to pay like I said months ago but was shot down for suggesting Salford changed the goalposts with asking a fee.