Taking the knee

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Taking the knee

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Aug 2020, 17:20

I'm glad it's continuing in RL ...sure Falou will be in spotlight again for not doing it each to there own tho
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Taking the knee

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Aug 2020, 17:46

The disappointment is that such a positive day will be over-shadowed by Falou.

marty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by marty_tiger » 02 Aug 2020, 17:52

I missed the very start of the game. Did he actually not take the knee?

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 02 Aug 2020, 18:43

Thought Old Chariots was quite eloquent speaking before the game.
He also made a valid point after match.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 02 Aug 2020, 18:50

marty_tiger wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 17:52 I missed the very start of the game. Did he actually not take the knee?
Israel Folau did not take the knee as is his right not to do so. He can’t be vilified for this when players from other sports have done the same.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Aug 2020, 19:45

Fumper27 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 18:50
marty_tiger wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 17:52 I missed the very start of the game. Did he actually not take the knee?
Israel Folau did not take the knee as is his right not to do so. He can’t be vilified for this when players from other sports have done the same.
I think it’s fair enough to question why he did not choose to support something that everyone else on the field (including all players in the Leeds v Huddersfield game) were happy to.
Should he be vilified? No. Should we be questioning the negative impact his actions have on the image of the sport? Yes.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 02 Aug 2020, 19:52

But surely his opinion on the matter has to be respected as equally as the person who takes the knee???

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Aug 2020, 20:04

Fumper27 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 19:52 But surely his opinion on the matter has to be respected as equally as the person who takes the knee???
I’m not too sure. I don’t respect his homophobic opinions, that’s for sure.
It’s fair enough to question why he doesn’t support racial equality, especially given his history of homophobia.
The most annoying thing is that today should be a positive day for RL. As it is, the big talking point will be Folau’s decision not to join the rest of the players in supporting racial equality.

marty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by marty_tiger » 02 Aug 2020, 20:18

Well he was on his knees for most of the game against Saints. He didn't have a choice in that one.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 02 Aug 2020, 21:13

His Agent probably to do it to maximise his self publicity.
Very astute too, he was completely invisible once the match started!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Aug 2020, 21:21

nottinghamtiger wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 20:04
Fumper27 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 19:52 But surely his opinion on the matter has to be respected as equally as the person who takes the knee???
I’m not too sure. I don’t respect his homophobic opinions, that’s for sure.
It’s fair enough to question why he doesn’t support racial equality, especially given his history of homophobia.
The most annoying thing is that today should be a positive day for RL. As it is, the big talking point will be Folau’s decision not to join the rest of the players in supporting racial equality.
He could support racial equality but his religious views might make him not want to take a knee as happened with a black player in the NBA last night I didn't agree with his explanation but he gave his reasons why he didn't take a knee on religious grounds
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 02 Aug 2020, 23:06

Tamworth Tiger wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 21:13 His Agent probably to do it to maximise his self publicity.
Very astute too, he was completely invisible once the match started!
with you on this TT, a lot of what he does is to generate publicity and the money that comes with it.
wonder if the club knew in advance what he was going to do and if they condone it.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

guernseytiger68

Post by guernseytiger68 » 04 Aug 2020, 09:34

not commented on here for ages since now involved with rfl feel i should be impartial but on this feel i should speak up. while in london saw these blm demos and actions and have since researched there website. the rfl have been pressuring teams to take knee which is a real shame as proves ignorance of all involved not doing research. look at comments made in london at weekend by blm black militia group inciting violence. i believe we should have done a demo with kick racism out but not bending knee to blm. i have raised these issues with rfl at top level. i congratulate isreal for is stance and showing he as more backbone than the other 25 players. as for some of the comments on this forum do some research read about blm leaders such as gary mcfarlane and shaun king in usa. in todays society there is no play for any racism or division of any kind wether sex religion or ability as we regulary prove in rl through our support against racism, lgbt, our disabilty teams, ladies teams and our mental health pushes. we show support to many good causing such as the jack and prescot and burrows fundraising. but we must not blindly follow the blm movement trust me this is a divisive movement with its beliefs and we only have to look across the pond to see this. i saw a great t shirt in london a fortnight ago that said BE AWAKE NOT A WOKE which exactly we should be look into things dont blindly follow.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 04 Aug 2020, 10:10

Thanks. I’m grown up enough to do my own research and not blindly follow anyone’s views including yours.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 04 Aug 2020, 13:58

If you want to research a prime example of why Black Lives Matter, check out a story in the Yorkshire Post about England footballer, Danny Rose.

Whenever he drives to his Mother's home in Doncaster, he gets stopped by the Police and asked about the car.

To avoid this he sometimes catches the train but on a recent trip the guard questioned why he was entering first class but ignored the other, white passengers as they boarded.

This in built racism is widespread and many of those doing it do not know what they are actually doing or would even consider themselves racist. It is also why many blacks feel organisations are institutionally racist, simply because this is the normal reaction they receive.

Taking the knee, and continuing to do so, raises the awareness of these issues and, hopefully, will lead to a wholescale change in people's minds.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 04 Aug 2020, 15:07

Flat Capper wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 13:58 If you want to research a prime example of why Black Lives Matter, check out a story in the Yorkshire Post about England footballer, Danny Rose.

Whenever he drives to his Mother's home in Doncaster, he gets stopped by the Police and asked about the car.

To avoid this he sometimes catches the train but on a recent trip the guard questioned why he was entering first class but ignored the other, white passengers as they boarded.

This in built racism is widespread and many of those doing it do not know what they are actually doing or would even consider themselves racist. It is also why many blacks feel organisations are institutionally racist, simply because this is the normal reaction they receive.

Taking the knee, and continuing to do so, raises the awareness of these issues and, hopefully, will lead to a wholescale change in people's minds.
Top post FC

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 04 Aug 2020, 21:06

It is simply a matter of each to their own and like it or not Folau is entitled to his own opinion on the subject wether any of us like it or not. The RFL should not be telling clubs to tell their players to kneel as this is politicising the game. I hope the players have the balls to make their own decisions. Offiah was out of order in questioning Folau's decision and should not have been allowed to ask it. Let's just think if all this was the other way round, would it be spoken about at all. Politics and sport should not and doesn't go together, so let's just get on with the game 🏉

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 04 Aug 2020, 21:14

Oh, and just one more thing which slipped my mind, ALL lives matter, end of..

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Aug 2020, 21:25

Tigers1926 wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 21:14 Oh, and just one more thing which slipped my mind, ALL lives matter, end of..
You sir are now banned from the forum for posting sense. Go kneel in a corner and think about what you post, before you post it...

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 04 Aug 2020, 21:43

Sorry Fumper, I'll try not to talk sense in the future 🤔