old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Bateman

Post by old cas lass » 30 Jun 2020, 09:23

I wonder what went wrong there.
He seemed happy and settled.
Didn’t he get the second rower of the season last year.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Jun 2020, 09:29

My bet would be that he’s returning home to be nearer to his daughter. No evidence just a view.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Jun 2020, 09:31

Ricky Stuart moaning it's all down to his agent unsettling him with offers of more dosh bit like what CR did when they signed him...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 30 Jun 2020, 10:07

From what I hear, Bateman was due to receive an increase on his salary in 2021 as part of the three-year deal he signed. Canberra have told him they now don’t have room in the salary cap to give him this, so are allowing him to leave.
As much as I’d like Bateman to be the villain, it seems like Canberra are going back in the deal they agreed with him when he signed.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 30 Jun 2020, 13:00

Replacement for Meeks, unless there another update on that thread when I get to it..?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 02 Jul 2020, 11:20

Talk of a 500k contract per year for him. He's a good player but not marquee money for a second row.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 02 Jul 2020, 12:18

Not spliting hairs but the 500 K was Australian Dollars so about £370,000 per annum.
In the present financial climate and all the uncertainties, l think he will be hard pressed to get that money from a Super League club.
I know Saints have the money from Thompson and some have people prepared to back the club with their own money.
Still a big commitment when income is far from certain.
I think many players and clubs will be thinking long and hard before handing out large and long contracts.
Just an opinion.
Gosh l missing going to our dilapidated old ground for my Tigers fix.
Stay safe everyone we are not in clear blue water by any means.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Jul 2020, 12:39

Batemans agent who's under investigation himself saying Canberra are in trouble with the salary cap don't blame him
Hard to find the truth with whatever it is these days tho it is believed Canberra paid Wigan $358,000 signing on fee looks like they will get a season and a bit for there money
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 02 Jul 2020, 12:55

don't think he'd have got himself an aussie agent if he was wanting to get back over here.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 03 Jul 2020, 11:18

Whether it's 500k aussie or UK pounds, it's still marquee money and if u you are paying that for a second row it'd have to be kikau, corner, cam murray or similar.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 03 Jul 2020, 14:29

It will be interesting to see how he goes under the new rules when he returns from injury.
Not doubting his qualities, but he’s one of the scrappiest players around in defence. That’s always been useful before to slow the play down, but unless he can adapt he’s going to give away a lot of set restarts now.
Whilst he’s a very good player, I’m not sure spending marquee money on a back-rower is good value. Your big money and best players need to be in pivotal positions (full back, the two halves and hooker). Year after year, the teams with the best spines are the ones who are successful. It’s no good having Bateman if your spine is weak. If Hastings leaves next year (you’d think he’ll have to if they are signing Bateman as a marquee player) the only top player Wigan have in a pivotal position is Bevan French (and there are question marks about his temperament and consistency). They won’t win anything with a spine of French, Leuluai, Smith (a young kid) and Sam Powell. They are spending big money in the wrong areas in my opinion (especially considering George Burgess is their other marquee player and he’s chronically injured and gasping for air after 5 minutes).

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Jul 2020, 14:50

Think it nailed on Hastings will leave interesting to see how well Williams is playing a lot at Wigan were rubbishing him last year
Blake Green leaving Warriors maybe they will go for him to play with young Smith
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 03 Jul 2020, 14:58

tigerfeat wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 14:50 Think it nailed on Hastings will leave interesting to see how well Williams is playing a lot at Wigan were rubbishing him last year
Blake Green leaving Warriors maybe they will go for him to play with young Smith
Williams is going far better than I thought he would to be fair. I think it’s helping him having another decent half in Wighton, so he’s not expected to do everything like he was at Wigan. It was easy to stop him at Wigan when he was the only running threat the had.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 03 Jul 2020, 16:30

Bateman confirmed as returning to Wigan on a four-year deal.
Good player, but they’ll be weaker if it means they lose Hastings.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 03 Jul 2020, 17:23

You’d have to admit Bateman returning is a massive coup for the pies as well a super league. I think he’s box office personally who plays right on the very edge With everything he does. I love watching him play. He’s clearly homesick and Wigan always had first dibs on him if he returned. What does surprise me though is how they can afford his wages. They are losing money hand over fist and Lenegan is constantly pumping massive amounts of money into them as loans. The owners of their ground is in the process of going bust, there players are taking the biggest pay cut in the league apart from Hull Kr and one of the main sponsors shearings has gone bust. Could they be another Bradford in the making or will lenagan keep piling money in?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 03 Jul 2020, 18:00

Burgess and Hastings are their marquee players. If hastings goes, who plays half back with the soon to be retired leuluai. French is playing full back and zak at centre.
Move French to stand off and zak to fullback, who plays centre.

They'll find a way of sorting it, like inglis playing for peanuts at wire and radlinski playing for free.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Jul 2020, 18:05

I agree with Notts obviously he's a super player but if there losing Hastings Gildart tipped to go to NRL Sol retiring Burgess looked useless before Covid hit ...owner might need put another half million in keep there support happy
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 03 Jul 2020, 18:29

Thought he would want to be nearer to his daughter. Good call on his part

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 03 Jul 2020, 19:50

mart0042 wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 18:00 Burgess and Hastings are their marquee players. If hastings goes, who plays half back with the soon to be retired leuluai. French is playing full back and zak at centre.
Move French to stand off and zak to fullback, who plays centre.

They'll find a way of sorting it, like inglis playing for peanuts at wire and radlinski playing for free.
They’ve got too much money tied up in non-pivotal positions in my view.
French has never been a half back. He’s got to have clear space in front of him to be effective, so he’s either at full-back or on the wing.
Not sure where they’ll go with halves. It’s likely they will lose both Leuluai and Hastings. There’s talk of Benji Marshall, but he’ll want marquee money you’d think. Harry Smith is highly rated, but he’s very young. They could end up with a real problem in the halves next season.
Added to that, Sam Powell is average at best.
And added to that, their props are pretty poor.
They’ll struggle to finish in the top four next year.
Cue a treble-winning season for Wigan!